Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Venables says Clemson defense leaving too much "meat on the bone"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,868

TNET: Venables says Clemson defense leaving too much "meat on the bone"

Nov 17, 2020, 4:01 PM

Venables says Clemson defense leaving too much "meat on the bone"

Brent Venables doesn’t do anything halfway. Not football. Not eating. Not anything. So when it comes to his defense, he knows his group won’t get where they want to go by leaving meat on the bone. It’s unacceptable.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Venables says Clemson defense leaving too much "meat on the bone"

Nov 17, 2020, 4:49 PM

I hope "Whiff" Venables is perfecting his tackling drills right about now.

what do you mean by "whiff" ??

Nov 17, 2020, 8:26 PM

Venables is a wizard. Clemson is blessed to have him. Some slips and misses happen - Thats no ding against him.
It is not like the coach is playing, players have to step up. some "jadedness" happens. Def will come back. no doubt.

Re: what do you mean by "whiff" ??

Nov 18, 2020, 6:30 AM

Venables is a wizard. Clemson is blessed to have him. Some slips and misses happen - Thats no ding against him.
It is not like the coach is playing, players have to step up. some "jadedness" happens. Def will come back. no doubt.

He was calling Jake out (not Brent), for the constant arm tackling and diving the wrong direction and barely getting a hand on the ball carrier. You would think as the son of a D coordinator that Jake's fundamentals would look better, but I am really anxious to get Skalski back (and Jones and Davis) to fix our inside problems.

Nov 18, 2020, 11:54 PM

Thanks Coot

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2020, 11:54 PM [ in reply to what do you mean by "whiff" ?? ]

Thanks coot

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 6:09 PM

Not sure why the people who compile these stats can’t figure out how to remove points scored by the opponents defense that V’s defense clearly had nothing to do with.

“Bone”headed plays in the secondary

Nov 17, 2020, 8:04 PM

DBs need to now where the dad gum ball is instead of having their backs to the play. I’m not going to name players, but Clemson folks know who the opponents are gunning for each week. We’ve seen it the past 4 games. Why can’t we get it corrected, or at least have another player in that spot. Go Tigers!

Nov 17, 2020, 9:24 PM

A basketball team can't be great without a really good point guard, a baseball team can't be great without having really good players up the middle, and a football team can't be great without really good linebackers. With the injuries we have had a linebacker we are limited, but even with everyone healthy, are our linebackers this year really good? Hopefully getting healthy means getting better.

Nov 17, 2020, 9:44 PM

On the surface, the defense is ranked 13th in overall defense right now. However, that's with 3 true freshmen starting and the best player on the defense standing on the sidelines with an injury. Not to make excuses, but 13th isn't bad for this point of the season and this unit will only get better because these true freshmen are special as well as some of the other players, or maybe all of the other players.
Jake Venables isn't bad, but he's not Skalski and that's no insult on Venables. The really talented sophomore safety Lanndon Zanders went down against a really good ND offense and true freshman Tyler Venables had to fill in.

Again, I am not making excuses for this defense. I feel like by the time Clemson gets a rematch with the Fighting Irish this guys will be rolling. That is if we don't have any more injuries. We've got to stay healthy.

Nov 17, 2020, 9:57 PM

I went and did a small amount of research and our defense top 22 tacklers there are 16 freshmen and sophomores. It's got to be the youngest defense in the country right now. But, these guys are talented and improving every day.

Nov 17, 2020, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Venables says Clemson defense leaving too much "meat on the bone" ]

On the surface, the defense is ranked 13th in overall defense right now. However, that's with 3 true freshmen starting and the best player on the defense standing on the sidelines with an injury. Not to make excuses, but 13th isn't bad for this point of the season and this unit will only get better because these true freshmen are special as well as some of the other players, or maybe all of the other players.
Jake Venables isn't bad, but he's not Skalski and that's no insult on Venables. The really talented sophomore safety Lanndon Zanders went down against a really good ND offense and true freshman Tyler Venables had to fill in.

Again, I am not making excuses for this defense. I feel like by the time Clemson gets a rematch with the Fighting Irish this guys will be rolling. That is if we don't have any more injuries. We've got to stay healthy.

Good points!

Everybody talks Skalski - but nobody mentions Jones being out. That meant having Trenton Simpson play a significant number of snaps! I'll say it until I am blue in the face. With the amount of playing time these true freshman are getting this season and true sophmores as well - Clemson will be more than a match for anybody next season! Not going there yet, don't worry just thinking about what all of this is doing for the near future of Clemson football is exciting.
As Dabo has said, "these guys who have played a bunch of snaps aren't freshmen anymore"! Heck at some schools if a kid only see's the field his Jr and Sr. season our guys probably have "more experience"! Getting Skalski back will be huge! You can't replace his experience and what I like about him the most besides his production is his "attitude"! He is like Luke Kuechly in that - you wouldn't think he plays nasty by talking to him - but he plays downhill and makes plays!

Davis - in my opinion though is A on the list of guys we need to get healthy.
A. Davis
B. Skalski
C. Jones
D. Zanders

Davis changes how the OL attacks LB's because they have to be worried about him. The DT's we have are "non-attacking" DT's. Davis is an attacking DT.
If your DT's just hold the point - the OL gets brave and will leak guards and centers out to get to your LB's. Bresee is an attacking DT - I wonder if he hit that freshman wall? Though he and Murphy have been playing great. To me early on he was even more disruptive - possibly because teams had to decide on doubling him or Davis. Which is where Murphy shined early from if both of them had double teams and he was one on one.

We are okay and will be awesome! Trenton Simpson looks like Isiah Simmons 2.o out there at a young age. As his knowledge and the speed of the game slows down for him - it will prove great for Clemson!

We good and getting better!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2020, 7:58 AM

So many injuries & dings. Having to reach for my roster just to keep up. Look fwd to a rematch with ND with more guys back!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2020, 11:21 PM

Overall I think our D is in a good place. We have had some hic cups but the talent is there and we are very young. We did get a little spoiled with the Power Rangers.

Thinking about this year and only this year the same defense that made Miami look like a second tier team allowed ND to look unstoppable. What was the difference? Three key guys out. That’s like fighting with one arm behind your back. And we still went to double OT at their house. Not to mention the best QB in college was out.

If anything I’m extremely positive about this teams potential this year and several more to come. We have recruited true ballers and players with a coachable heart. GO TIGERS

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,868
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic