Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Taison Phommachanh
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 4,160

Taison Phommachanh

Nov 5, 2020, 10:15 PM

Is Taison still listed as 3rd on the depth chart? I will be honest - and in all fairness we haven't seen him play with starters - but Taison is still figuring things out to me. I am sure last week and this week his focus ramped up. Maybe we see the real Taison that was a 4 star talent!
I'm wondering if we needed him for some snaps what we would get! I know we would get a hard working kid who loves to play football! You don't get an invite to Clemson without that. But, from "the limited time" admittedly so, not as confident in him as I was a Chase Brice or some of the previous back up QB's we have had.

Does Hunter Helms get the nod? Or Taison if DJ were to get nicked up? I just don't see our coaches missing big on a kid. Especially a 4 star kid. It's probably my expectations being way too high and he is good to go. Probably just anxiety talking on my part. Wondering what some others think on the subject? Maybe some who have had a chance to see or listen to how practice has gone as it specifically relates to the QB position?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Taison Phommachanh

Nov 5, 2020, 10:24 PM

I've wondered the same thing. Taison has great size and they say he can run...but he's not looked great throwing the ball. Could have had a couple more picks on a few throws.

The sample size on Hunter Helms is a lot smaller. But somehow he just seemed more settled when he got to play a few weeks ago.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2020, 10:27 PM

We didn't see him much last season but he seems to have regressed a bit. Maybe he's hurt or just not responding well to the competition. I hope he figures it out though because he has some talent for sure.

Nov 5, 2020, 10:42 PM

Thanks! I won't ever get on here and just bag on any of our players. But, like Vic Beasley coming in as a TE and making the switch to DE( smart Move ). If QB isn't where he is going to play - this season has been a blessing for him. He gets to grow and learn and get stronger, faster and smarter while not losing eligibility.
I want to have a ton of confidence in him bad! I had my hopes up for sure with him - still do! There is time and maybe we have just not yet seen it.

And, yes, I agree HH did seem a lot more comfortable to me as well.

I think we've seen enough

Nov 6, 2020, 12:29 AM

to say Taisun can't play QB at the D1 level. I think there is a strong chance he will transfer after the season. Next year, Hunter Helms will almost certainly pass him in the pecking order (if he hasn't already).

I say this only to be bluntly realistic.

Re: I think we've seen enough

Nov 6, 2020, 12:45 AM

Remember Zerrick Cooper? He was a 4ish star kid. Doing very well at Jacksonville St. Just saying, not every talented arm is meant to be QB1 for the Paw. Cooper moved down there and because of it could at least get a tryout for an NFL team.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2020, 2:29 AM

We all remember that Syracuse game.

Hunter Johnson says ""hello""

Nov 6, 2020, 8:25 AM

How quickly we forget the 5 Star that didn't make it as a Tiger -- average at best at Northwestern U -- they all don't make it to the big leagues**

Re: Hunter Johnson says ""hello""

Nov 6, 2020, 12:40 PM

big monk said:

How quickly we forget the 5 Star that didn't make it as a Tiger -- average at best at Northwestern U -- they all don't make it to the big leagues**

So true!

And, is another reason I give our coaching staff credit. They have "not offered" some kids who were good kids and ranked high because they wanted a lower rated player! That player gets here and sits a year or two and become a solid full time starter or even stars! (Simmons, Jarrett, Beasley, Renfrow, etc.).

Hunter Johnson was the can't mis prospect before T. Lawrence. Difference: Lawrence was clearly ready for the college game!

Nov 6, 2020, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Re: I think we've seen enough ]

Remember Zerrick Cooper? He was a 4ish star kid. Doing very well at Jacksonville St. Just saying, not every talented arm is meant to be QB1 for the Paw. Cooper moved down there and because of it could at least get a tryout for an NFL team.

Agreed.

When you saw Deshaun Watson as a Freshman At Georgia throw it for what should have been a big play then follow that up with some really awesome passes - "you knew"!

So Far as you and Mo said, "just haven't seen anything that makes you feel that way"! Not giving up on him or saying he can't! Just saying, "we haven't seen it"!

I'm sure after the season there will be...................

Nov 6, 2020, 8:35 AM

a nice sit down conversation between Phommachanh and the coaches. I hope he finds a place to play quarterback.

I see what you're saying but

Nov 6, 2020, 9:56 AM

prior to last week, I was, shall we say, underwhelmed at what I saw from DJ in his limited snaps.

I am not quite so ready to say TP can't make it as a major college QB.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I see what you're saying but

Nov 6, 2020, 10:27 AM

Very fair comment! Until last game it looked like we were just using DJU in QB running plays for the most part. And when he did sling the ball, didn't look particularly great. But he is a true freshman of course.

Still think we need to see meaningful PT for TP to know for sure what he's capable of.

And let's not forget what Cole Stoudt looked like

Nov 6, 2020, 10:34 AM

playing with the 1's and executing a game plan designed around him

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2020, 10:55 AM

Taisun is Kelly Bryant.

I mean that a little in terms of his skills as a QB, but mostly I mean that in terms of how long it will take him to be ready.

This is year 2 for Taisun. Bryant didn't have to take a meaningful snap until he was in his 4th year in the program.

If Bryant was being judged on what he looked like as a redshirt freshman, then everybody would have been ready to dump him also.

I think we saw in his year as a starter that Bryant was not Watson, Lawrence or Boyd, but he was certainly a quality QB who could be used to win games.

If Taisun sticks around Clemson, hopefully he will fill that mold of being able to be counted on to win games in a backup role if needed.

For all of those excited about Helms, I get it because he looked comfortable. But he was playing against a GA Tech that had given up and he wasn't exactly fitting the balls into tight windows. The nicest throw he actually made was reviewed and ruled incomplete.

I predict that he will be transferring after this year.

Nov 6, 2020, 11:36 AM

As you said, he was highly recruited and seems to have the talent, intelligence, and personality to be a great QB. So I'm certainly not writing him off. But based on the limited playing time he has received, he doesn't seem to be likely to get much playing time at Clemson based on those ahead of him on the depth chart as well as future QBs coming in.

One thing to keep in mind is that he hasn't gotten time with the first team yet. I was pleasantly surprised by how much better DJ looked last week with the first team, compared to his prior performances with backups. I'm sure Taisun would look better with the first team as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 15
| visibility 4,160
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic