Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The problem w/ APPEASEMENT is that it’s never enough!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

The problem w/ APPEASEMENT is that it’s never enough!

Jun 9, 2020, 9:19 AM

History shows this over and over.

Clemson University should beware going down this road because it will never end.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The problem w/ APPEASEMENT is that it’s never enough!

Jun 9, 2020, 9:23 AM

A lot of truth to that.
I wish there was a happy medium. It would not bother me to name a new construction "The MLK building".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We already have Martin Hall*

Jun 12, 2020, 4:43 PM

Jun 9, 2020, 9:56 AM

Bingo! And it’s also why the riots keep getting worse. This has been a frequent thing and they are never dealt with as insurrections should be dealt with. It’s because every time there are riots these people feel emboldened.

And now you aren’t even allowed to have an opinion on the public space or you are taken off the air or lynched by mobs.

Jun 9, 2020, 10:07 AM

They are NOT riots but protest. There is a difference.
That statement really shows your mentality.

You really need to wake up. All this killing, destruction,

Jun 9, 2020, 10:16 AM

and looting is a riot. Protesting is fine. The rest is something different entirely.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PLEASE..I saw riots & looting & destroying property live on tv, did I not.

Jun 9, 2020, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: The problem w/ APPEASEMENT is that it’s never enough! ]

That’s illegal & criminal and can not be allowed to be justification for legal protest, which I condone!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In Boston, they did not *steal* the Tea, they threw it away.

Jun 9, 2020, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: The problem w/ APPEASEMENT is that it’s never enough! ]

I don’t see these protestors today throwing the high-end electronics and designer purses in the river.

The Boston protestors didn’t drink the tea, they threw it away.

I don’t see the protestors today throwing the liquor into the river.

Protestors protest, looters loot.

Jun 9, 2020, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: The problem w/ APPEASEMENT is that it’s never enough! ]

What I saw in Charleston was a riot.

LMAO...There were riots and looting.

Jun 12, 2020, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Re: The problem w/ APPEASEMENT is that it’s never enough! ]

If you don't know that, please educate yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gwb1VqqVLQ

Yeah, they handle protests way better in China...

Jun 9, 2020, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: The problem w/ APPEASEMENT is that it’s never enough! ]

We could learn a lot from them.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe...

Jun 9, 2020, 12:06 PM

the simple fact is that Calhoun was a slave owner whether anyone likes it or not. We should acknowledge his contributions to the University but do not need to celebrate him. If we claim to adore and support our student athletes (football in particular), many of whom are African American, then we need to at least understand their point of view and why they are upset about Calhoun, Tillman and others adorning our buildings on campus. It is a constant reminder that Clemson University has a history attached to slavery no matter what we want to think.

History is just that....history, except when it is constantly thrown in your face via honors college names and building names. Listen to what Nuk and Deshaun are really saying and I don't believe it to be from a position of hate for Clemson, rather a reminder of the folks that Clemson chooses to glorify in different ways. I think we can do better in this modern age and find common ground. Just my opinion and not worth more than $0.02.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Re: Maybe...

Jun 9, 2020, 12:16 PM

The fact is that most of the founding fathers of our nation were slave owners. You pro
pose renaming Washington D.C.? At that time, most of the world owned slaves. the countries that sold slaves owned slaves. The United States is no more guilty than the vast majority of nations. You judge historic figures through the moral lens of their day, not the moral lens of our day.

Yes and no...

Jun 9, 2020, 12:27 PM

I respect your opinion but do not agree with all points. No, I do not expect to rename Wash DC nor Tillman Hall for that matter. The purpose of my response to OP was to articulate why I believe some of our fellow Clemson grads have feelings different then others when it comes to the names we glorify on our buildings and other areas. Some of us will have no issue with them but some will be totally offended seeing slave owners names on our buildings. If you have no issue then that is your perspective. I wonder if our African-American friends and fellow grads feel the same.

Again, I don't expect anything to be renamed but I don't want to be tone deaf when others have an issue with what they see on campus. The point is simply this, consider how others feel and what is their perspective. That really is it. Be open to the conversation; much like we are having now.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Jun 9, 2020, 12:26 PM

Works the same in every direction .
People are like dogs , they're unsatisfied if they feel like someone is giving the other dog more attention .
Nobody is immune .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 9, 2020, 1:16 PM

If I had a business named "Auschwitz Exterior Decoration"(It's just a name, right?) and it became very popular over 3 decades. Would it be fair to open a branch in Downtown Jerusalem? Would the people having issue with the building name have a reason/justification for feeling that this was insulting to them? What if my company agreed to pay higher taxes to the city to help with Urban Development? Would that make it less upsetting or inappropriate? What if the company had opened in 1946? That is 70+ years after any historical events took place so that should make it better. Why should I appease these people when I can bring so much good to their economy? Appeasement didn't work with Hitler because no one wanted to look squarely at the issues that created Hitler. I think that society is now willing to approach and view what systemic racism looks like, is supported by and institutionalized around. Maybe it is time to be brave and take a chance that others experiences and views are valid.

Well, the first step down that rad has now been taken.

Jun 12, 2020, 1:21 PM

See if it stops with Calhoun and Tillman.

Anyone taking odds?

Jun 12, 2020, 4:21 PM

They have oped the pandora box

Jun 12, 2020, 4:29 PM

You mean Main College should beware.

Or does northern USC Hit the ear a little cleaner?

Jun 13, 2020, 3:25 AM

I am waiting to see who they go after next. I know Furman University is on their list.

I hate social media it will be mankind's downfall!

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic