Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There's no good CFP solution
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

There's no good CFP solution

Nov 11, 2019, 3:17 PM

It looks like this year we'll have three or more legit teams claiming to be deserving of CFP #4.

Unless the confs are willing to do away with the hugely lucrative conf champ games, there's no way an 8 team playoff will happen. The physicality of football just separates it from both bballs. Football just doesn't allow for multi-game wkends, and those multi-game wkends are how the bballs can have large playoff fields. Ain't no way the uni prez's will allow a 16th game. No way. And there's no way the AD's will cut the schedule and lose revs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BULLSHYT - Quozzel hit it out of the park

Nov 11, 2019, 3:20 PM

You're just wrong .Please give Quo the TU
https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/and-just-like-that-there-are-basically-just-3-left-26304805#26304805

.and lookee there, one week later, the college football world's Field of Contenders has basically narrowed to three teams again: LSU, Ohio State...and of course, Clemson.

After that you've got the Big Underdogs: Georgia, Minnesota, and Baylor...who will have to work their way in by beating teams that will be favored against them by 2+ TD's, minimum. Baylor would have to beat Oklahoma twice because of the way the round-robin championship game works in the Big 12.

Alabama, as Heather Dinich and others have noted, is most likely out. Even at 11-1 they will have no real signature wins, no conference championship, and are unlikely to be unequivocally one of the four best teams, as they were in 2017 when nobody in the Big 12, B1G, or Pac 12 seemed to want that #4 spot. The Tide D has been shaky all year (and it finally bit them), and their resume has no notable heads on its mantle. Saban's gang could work their way back in but they need help. A lot of help.

Georgia's one chance is to beat LSU in the SEC Championship Game. That's it. At 11-2, with a second loss to LSU in the SEC Championship Game, they're out, and there is zero chance they back in.

Minnesota will have to beat Ohio State in the B1G Championship Game...well, assuming they even make it. They still have games against Iowa and Wisconsin...and even if they win those, they then get to try to stop an OSU team that is mangling everybody right now. Good luck, Golden Gophers. You're gonna need it.

After that you've got three teams going for that #4 spot - Oregon, Utah, or Oklahoma. If one of them finishes with just 1 loss that spot is likely theirs because they will have a 12-1 record, a conference title, and enough on the resume they will bump Alabama. All three would have to lose again to surrender their playoff spot.

As for Clemson? We just have to not stumble against teams we will be favored by 20+ (probably more like 28) points over: Wake, South Carolina, and whatever sacrificial victim gets offered up by the Coastal in the ACC Championship Game - VT, UVA, or Pitt.

I will concede there is probably a reason people hate us. I'd hate us if I wasn't us. Because it is very sweet to be us. You know how this goes: Clemson will continue playing 85 guys a game the next three weeks and will arrive in the playoffs with basically a 3-deep of guys with 150+ snaps each and a group of starters without a ton of miles on their tires. LSU or OSU will undoubtedly claim that #1 seeding but they're welcome to it; that #1 seeding has been the Kiss of Death for whoever receives it, because for whatever reason the Football Gods have seen to it that not one #1 playoff seed has ever won a national title...so have at it, LSU and OSU. We'll take our #3 seeding and seat on the ROY Bus, it's been working for us for years.

And here we go. Fun Season.

Re: BULLSHYT - Quozzel hit it out of the park

Nov 11, 2019, 3:22 PM

Wut?

You lost me at

Nov 11, 2019, 3:27 PM [ in reply to BULLSHYT - Quozzel hit it out of the park ]

"Quozzel"

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BULLSHYT - Quozzel hit it out of the park

Nov 11, 2019, 4:36 PM [ in reply to BULLSHYT - Quozzel hit it out of the park ]

Been saying this in a nut shell since Alabama was exposed at home against LSU on Saturday.

There are three legit teams. LSU, OSU and Clemson. Then depending on Oregon and Utah clearing their remaining schedules, one of them will grab the 4th and final spot because either one of the two will have a top 10 victory and a conference championship. That is all there is to it. No Alabama.

If Georgia knocks off LSU in the SEC championship, then both LSU and Alabama will be on the outside looking in.

If OSU wins out, they are in and Minnesota is out. Same for Minnesota, if they win then OSU is out. Clemson runs the table they are in. If either Oregon or Utah runs the table, they are in. The SEC will only have one team, and it will be the winner of the LSU and Georgia SEC championship game.

Yes, there is a solution.

Nov 11, 2019, 3:24 PM

Make no changes to the exit polls and use them for preseason polls including SOS rankings. Perhaps using the conference championship games as elimination games is fair.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see a problem with the current setup.

Nov 11, 2019, 3:32 PM

There will always be a debate as to who the last team should be, but that's true whether the playoff has 4 teams, 6 teams, 8 teams, or 16 teams.

The regular season should matter. Conference championships should matter. A 4 team playoff ensures that. Increasing to 6 or 8 teams minimizes the regular season and provides more ammo for SEC teams to claim "good losses" and how they should be in the field. No thanks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I tend to agree...

Nov 11, 2019, 4:06 PM

but if they do expand the number of CFP teams from 4 to 8, they need to have 5 auto qualifiers (i.e., each of the P5 conference champions) and three at-large teams no two of which can be from the same conference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

That's the answer, and a much much better one***

Nov 11, 2019, 4:52 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

There are huge problems with the current setup.

Nov 11, 2019, 4:50 PM [ in reply to I don't see a problem with the current setup. ]

The over riding problem is that it is entirely subjective. It is a beauty contest, with judges deciding who gets in. Subject to bias and media influence. This is such an obvious, glaring deficiency I can't believe so many folks are twisting and contorting every which way to defend it. It's as if a big segment of the population has gone totally insane. You're right, winning conference championships should matter, and not winning them should automatically disqualify. Instead, If a group of judges can be convinced you're good enough, you're in, and that's wrong.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I don't see a problem with the current setup.

Nov 11, 2019, 7:54 PM [ in reply to I don't see a problem with the current setup. ]

You have that exactly backwards. How does the four team playoff respect conference championships if you win your conference and still get left out. If we had 5 automatic conference qualifiers, teams could actually risk playing better non-conference games, which most are afraid to do now with the current format.

Re: There's no good CFP solution

Nov 11, 2019, 4:33 PM

I think it should be left at 4, and the only change is not more than one per conference. If the CFP want's to include a 1 loss non-champ over a 2 loss champ, that's fine by me. You just can't include both.

Would love to see this, but it will never happen

Nov 11, 2019, 4:43 PM

After conference championship games, let the conferences each nominate a team for the CFP, let the Group of 5 nominate a team (if not the conference champ, let the conference explain), then let the committee seed them 1-6. Top 4 play; 5 and 6 get the "Next Man Up" Bowl.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Drop a regular season game (they added two over the years)

Nov 11, 2019, 5:54 PM

Then make an 8 team playoff. No excuses. When they announced a 4 team playoff I knew there would be problems at some point. 8 teams leaves on doubt. It's one more game, but we play TWO more in the regular season than when I was growing up (PLUS a conference championship game). Drop one of those regular season games, add a playoff game, and make it 8 teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No reason on earth that can't be done. Really there's

Nov 11, 2019, 6:19 PM

no reason on earth it couldn't be expanded to 8 teams as is. But, for those worried about a tiny handful of teams playing an extra game or two for the sake of a proper playoff, it should be a more acceptable solution.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: There's no good CFP solution

Nov 11, 2019, 8:07 PM

Or let's all do the Big12 way, everyone plays against everyone to determine a champion, so no more "Bama lost to LSU who beats (or get beaten by) DAWG, but Bama is still the 4th best team" BS. Let's settle that in your conference, don't waste the spot in the playoff.

Why do away with a conference championship game? That’s stupid just like all your other posts.***

Nov 11, 2019, 8:18 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic