Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
honest question, was Lee Corso ever good at his job?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

honest question, was Lee Corso ever good at his job?

Dec 12, 2020, 11:40 AM

Give him credit for the mascot head gimmick, but his analysis didn't make sense even before his stroke.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN doesn't have an analyst on Gameday, just a couple of

Dec 12, 2020, 11:50 AM

cartoons...Big Noon Kickoff on Fox is light years ahead of what ESPN ever was from an analysis standpoint

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: honest question, was Lee Corso ever good at his job?

Dec 12, 2020, 11:53 AM

No, with a 73-85-6 record in college football shows he wasn't any good. Also had a losing record when he coached a start up "pro football team." I think he was 5-16ish or something in that neighborhood, so no he just thinks he was good.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He always picked against Clemson

Dec 12, 2020, 1:12 PM

especially the CFB games. I see him as a lucky mascot for Clemson. Every time he says we loose we win big. Same with Finebaum.
Unfortunately in last 2 years they are on cl3mson bandwagon - that worries me.

Dec 12, 2020, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: honest question, was Lee Corso ever good at his job? ]

much cheaper for espn to hire a washed up has-been,than someone who was a legitimate,winning coach.same goes for dickie vitale.can't stand either one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 12, 2020, 11:55 AM

He played at FSU with a guy I knew thru work. He said Corso was really fast and made a bunch of INTs. I'm not sure he ever mentioned anything about Corso as a QB. They both played when Bert Reynolds was there. He said Bert was a great athlete at everything, a dare devil, a good guy, and a blast to hang out with.

Corso had a coupe of good years at Louisville, maybe a good year or two at Indiana. I'm sure he was sub .500 for his career. Not sure how he became such an 'expert'.

By the way, my buddy got his masters at Clemson. Although he played in the trenches for FSU, he was a bigger Tiger fan.

Dec 12, 2020, 12:40 PM

He was good on gameday, 20 years ago. He had a stroke. I don't think he ever fully recovered (being mentally sharp and quick witted) from that stroke. Don't remember how long ago it was but it had to be over 10 years ago.

Dec 12, 2020, 12:03 PM

He was 73-85-6 overall in College (bowls 1-0-1) and 5-13 in the USFL. I didn't know he coached that long.

Dec 12, 2020, 12:07 PM

He isn't, but that's ok. Having lost a dad to Alzheimers, it is tough watching him struggle with the dementia, but the way the rest of the guys treat him with respect and patience is inspiring.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2020, 1:13 PM

Don’t think it is fair for you to diagnose the man with dementia. Likely his thoughts are there as they always were but it is hard to get it from the brain to the mouth because of the stroke. That’s not dementia.

Thanks for the correction, Dr. Phil....

Dec 13, 2020, 10:53 AM

A diagnosis isn't the point. The point is that he is obviously struggling and it is inspiring watching his friends support him. Geeze..louise....I bet your buddy book page is fun....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for the correction, Dr. Phil....

Dec 13, 2020, 11:11 AM

I think he was merely pointing out that your mentioning of him having dementia may not be correct. I would assume too that it is the effect of the stroke and not dementia.

Yes

Dec 12, 2020, 12:12 PM

His job is to be entertaining so folks watch. So yes, he did his job well for many years.

As far as picking games...who honestly gives a flying #### who he picks or has ever picked?

The only person on the show that is there for his picking ability is that big fat #### Bear.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2020, 12:19 PM

He was , and still is, better at his job than your choice of topics on this board.

Dec 12, 2020, 12:20 PM

He was , and still is, better at his job than your choice of topics on this board.

Feel free to tell me how you really feel. Though you're pulse needs to be checked***

Dec 12, 2020, 12:46 PM

*your***

Dec 12, 2020, 12:47 PM

Dec 12, 2020, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Re: honest question, was Lee Corso ever good at his job? ]

The Sunshine Scooter at FSU.

As a broadcaster, in the early years of

Dec 12, 2020, 12:28 PM

Gameday he made the show.

I used to love Thursday night football when he was part of the broadcast team.

That was all before his first minor stroke. He was great.

I get knocked for this opinion, but I thought Jim Phillips was a really poor broadcaster. But that was because I only started listening to the radio broadcast in his last few years. I went back and listened to him in the late 70's and early 80s and it was a different guy.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: As a broadcaster, in the early years of

Dec 12, 2020, 1:07 PM

Jim had a few more mistakes and had slowed a bit toward the end but over all when I hear old audio no one painted a word picture like he did. His delivery and cadence was impeccable

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To each their own. Corso was great at his job, which was to entertain me.

Dec 12, 2020, 1:05 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed him through the years. He has certainly lost a step since the stroke and I kind of wish he would hang it up for his own sake but I don’t watch Game Day anymore so it doesn’t really effect me.

null

Lee Corso is a clown. People often like clowns

Dec 12, 2020, 4:02 PM

which is why he's on ESPN Gameday. It has nothing to do with analytical skills or football knowledge.

He was a clown when coaching at IU way back in the day. One time IU led Ohio State 3-0 and Corso had someone take his photo with the score in the background.

Dec 13, 2020, 11:08 AM

He has aged so much better than L Holtz. I hope I’ll be a loveable goof at that age rather than a bitter old man. But wait, I might be that age already.

Maybe back before radio.....

Dec 13, 2020, 11:33 AM

Only Joe21 could answer that one. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic