Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Vintage Clemson-Carolina game program covers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Vintage Clemson-Carolina game program covers

Nov 22, 2018, 11:16 PM

Before everything went so "high tech," there were some good covers for the football game programs. Here are two from the '60 and '68 Clemson-Carolina games. Enjoy!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Vintage Clemson-Carolina game program covers

Nov 23, 2018, 12:10 AM

What the hell is “Dads Day”?

WHen the coots come to Clemson. Dad's Day.***

Nov 23, 2018, 12:18 AM

Re: WHen the coots come to Clemson. Dad's Day.***

Nov 23, 2018, 12:40 AM

Is that like who's your daddy?

Who's your Daddy '60's version. Some things never change.***

Nov 23, 2018, 5:01 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2018, 12:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Vintage Clemson-Carolina game program covers ]

Free root beer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 23, 2018, 4:51 AM

Would like to see the one from the 1980 coots game. It was a classic.

I see both were done by a Phil Neel. Googled and found this

Nov 23, 2018, 6:03 AM

"Phil Neel was born in 1927 & grew up in Sumter County in West Alabama - & also served in the navy. Phil worked as a sports artist at the Birmingham Post-Herald for 33 years & at the Birmingham News for one year; he also did freelance work for schools all over the Southeast. He continued his artwork after retiring from his newspaper career.

Phil Neel created Aubie, who first appeared on the Auburn vs. Hardin-Simmons football program cover on October 3, 1959. Aubie continued to appear on the Auburn program covers for 18 years.

Phil Neel passed away on Wednesday July 25, 2012 at the age of 84 after a long battle with non-Hodgkin lymphoma."

So, apparently we were just one of the schools he did freelance work for. I would like to see a side by side comparison of his Aubie, and his Clemson Tiger. Were there any differences? His first Auburn cover was in 1959, I wonder when was his first Clemson cover, since this one posted is 1960.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link to many more of his covers, including other schools

Nov 23, 2018, 6:11 AM

https://www.pinterest.com/ziroc82/phil-neel-art/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/504121752012033830/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 1968 program was during my senior year, and

Nov 23, 2018, 6:26 AM

those old publications were keepsakes for many folks due mainly to the covers.

Although I never met the artist, most of us assumed he was a local Clemson alumnus or fan. For you younger folks in those days students and fans usually "dressed" for the games with many men wearing neckties and the Ladies in dresses with handbags, low heels and some hats. It was more of a classy social affair and was followed in the evenings with dances in the cafeteria.

When my parents attended their first game during my freshman year, my Dad wore a business suit, long sleeved white shirt, necktie and a dress, brimmed hat. My Mother wore a two piece dress suit, hat, gloves and high heeled shoes. It was early in the season, still hot as he1l...And neither broke a sweat! (lol) Dean Walter Cox had given me the tickets for them gratis, and they sat just below the President's Box. Longtime S.C. politician Fritz Hollings was a guest of President and Mrs. Edwards that day, and after the game, my Mother said, "I couldn't believe how loud he was hollering. Didn't he realize he was at a college football game?" My Dad even laughed at those remarks!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Vintage Clemson-Carolina game program covers- Also

Nov 23, 2018, 8:33 AM

if you google some company sells calendars made up of these of these. I cant recall their name though

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Asgard press..

Nov 23, 2018, 9:13 AM

My father actually provided most of the photos for the Clemson programs. He's got every program back to the 1940s. The oldest is a 1903 game vs Nc St at the State Fair.

Re: Asgard press..

Nov 23, 2018, 9:52 AM

It would be great to post some of those old programs if you can or provide the pics to Clemson!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ Impressive Tmax!

Nov 23, 2018, 9:54 AM

Wish you could share pics and/or more info!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic