Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
W T F? Trump: “85% of the people who wear masks,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

W T F? Trump: “85% of the people who wear masks,

Oct 16, 2020, 7:28 AM

catch it.”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saw a lot of people on FB posting the same thing...

Oct 16, 2020, 7:30 AM

bunch of idiots.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: W T F? Trump: “85% of the people who wear masks,

Oct 16, 2020, 7:31 AM

100% of the people I know that have had covid were staunch mask wearers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2020, 7:34 AM

And? Masks help. They aren't some guarantee not to get sick by any means.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no earthly way that you don't know that...

Oct 16, 2020, 8:01 AM [ in reply to Re: W T F? Trump: “85% of the people who wear masks, ]

the underlying rationale for mask wearing is to keep the wearer of the the mask from spreading the virus...not from catching the virus.

No way in he!! you don't know that by now.

Oct 16, 2020, 8:13 AM [ in reply to Re: W T F? Trump: “85% of the people who wear masks, ]

Do you think your personal anecdote, about people you know with Covid, has the power to turn Trump's made-up-story into reality?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Oct 16, 2020, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Re: W T F? Trump: “85% of the people who wear masks, ]

it is pretty well established to the person wearing the mask is protecting others, not so much the other way around, meaning those of you NOT wearing masks are the problem. And wash your hand folks, also I know this is tough for some of you, but stop touching your face.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2020, 7:37 AM

Speaking truth is hard for you all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2020, 7:38 AM

He was misquoting or misunderstanding a study.

You mean, purposefully misleading on a study.***

Oct 16, 2020, 8:01 AM

Do you think that is true?

Oct 16, 2020, 7:40 AM [ in reply to Re: W T F? Trump: “85% of the people who wear masks, ]

If 85% of people who wore masks got COVID, then we would have a hundred million cases.

Ok now I see, the "mask mandate" is actually a way

Oct 16, 2020, 7:38 AM

to get to "herd immunity".

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2020, 8:02 AM

Don't you keep up josephg? He could have been clearer, but a report just came out saying 85% of people testing positive wear their masks "often" (14.4%) or "always" (70.6%). If you paid attention, you would have known what he was talking about. You can't see the good stuff on Twitter and Facebook because they don't like the truth.

CDC: 85% of COVID-19 patients report ‘always’ or ‘often’ wearing a mask - The Mass Illusion
https://jordanschachtel.substack.com/p/cdc-85-of-covid-19-patients-report

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2020, 8:07 AM

He misunderstood what the study was conveying. One of the authors of the study was on the tube this morning blown away by what Trump took away from the study.

Oct 16, 2020, 8:16 AM [ in reply to Re: W T F? Trump: “85% of the people who wear masks, ]

"He could have been clearer"

Yes, by not saying that 85% of people wearing masks catch Covid! Because that's NOTHING like what the study says. The thing they have in common is basically the number 85 and the % symbol.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Like filling out the “How many drinks a week” question...

Oct 16, 2020, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Re: W T F? Trump: “85% of the people who wear masks, ]

at the doctor’s office....

BTW article that was linked was an overreaching editorial that misrepresented CDC guidance as well as reported data.

Sometimes I think people on here are faking...

Oct 16, 2020, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Re: W T F? Trump: “85% of the people who wear masks, ]

and other times, like this, I think some of these people really are this stupid.

I pointed to register my stupidity...

Oct 16, 2020, 10:25 AM

because what he said is incorrect, but the people who will vote for him knew what he meant. The people combing through every word this word-mangler and are alarmed by it weren't going to vote for him any way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I pointed to register my stupidity...

Oct 16, 2020, 10:28 AM

Trumpers are smarter than me, because I hadn't heard about the report and had no idea what he was talking about. All I knew is that it's definitely not true that 85% of mask-wearers caught covid.

- Jonathan Swift

translation...

Oct 16, 2020, 10:30 AM

wearing a mask does not guarantee you won't get the virus. Ask Kamala's campaign.

I wear a mask in public. I don't care what the POTUS says.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a strawman.

Oct 16, 2020, 10:33 AM

No one anywhere says that masks guarantee anything. There's no need to argue against that, because no one believes that.

Re: translation...

Oct 16, 2020, 10:34 AM [ in reply to translation... ]

Your translation is great and if that's what Trump had said, this thread wouldn't exist. Trump said if you wear a mask, you are 85% likely to catch Covid.

- Jonathan Swift

yes, I know***

Oct 16, 2020, 10:35 AM

YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO WEAR A MASK TO KEEP FROM...

Oct 16, 2020, 10:44 AM [ in reply to translation... ]

CATCHING COVID.

IT'S TO KEEP FROM SPREADING COVID

This is awesome news. Now doctors don't have to mask up

Oct 16, 2020, 11:05 AM

when treating COVID patients. They just have to be sure the patient wears one...

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is not combing...

Oct 16, 2020, 10:29 AM [ in reply to I pointed to register my stupidity... ]

This is the President completely misrepresenting, in an extreme way, the results of a study that a vast majority of Americans will not have seen.

i know...

Oct 16, 2020, 10:32 AM

you are not wrong, but you also read most things literally.

There are voters for the President in this thread

Oct 16, 2020, 10:30 AM [ in reply to I pointed to register my stupidity... ]

who are contending that the statement was true.

the POTUS may even believe it***

Oct 16, 2020, 10:32 AM

But it's so wrong either way...

Oct 16, 2020, 10:42 AM [ in reply to I pointed to register my stupidity... ]

1) Clearly 85% of mask wearers didn't catch covid. You're right, most knew what he meant.

2) What he meant was also really stupid. Why? Because the guidance is not "wear a mask so you don't catch covid"...the guidance is "wear a mask so you don't SPREAD covid". The difference cuts to the very core of why his leadership (or lack thereof) on this issue is so got dang dangerous.

Now you have a good chunk of his supporters today going around saying "ha ha...told you wearing a mask doesn't work".

point 1 is correct

Oct 16, 2020, 10:58 AM

I do not think his statement changes a voter nor, more importantly changes anybody's mask-wearing practice.

2) This is where mask-wearing is a political football. When Herman Cain died, it was "ha ha he didn't wear a mask." Now when I pointed out the guidance you stated here, I was rebuked that it is to protect us as well. I would gamble, because it is a political football, that the same people making fun of Cain (and even hoping for Trump's demise) aren't laughing about Harris' staffers contracting it.

I wear a mask because:

1) I trust doctors.
2) I don't know how much a mask actually helps or doesn't help.
3) But mostly for the psychology of people I meet. I never know when I may meet somebody in need and I want to be Jesus to them. I don't want them to think I don't care about them as a proxy of Christ.

I think science has been all over the place on this. I am not saying that critically, because that is where science should be, always questioning and experimenting and learning.

There are a lot of zombies out there, but I think most people can think for themselves.

Contrast to Christie’s statement.***

Oct 16, 2020, 8:18 AM

Oct 16, 2020, 9:03 AM

User Logo
josephg®
Ring of Honor [54423]
TigerPulse: 100%
W T F? Trump: “85% of the people who wear masks, [3]
Posted: Oct 16, 2020 7:28 AM

catch it.”

uh that was from the all powerful cdc, not trump.

How about try this: 85% of positive cases were mask wearers

Oct 16, 2020, 9:38 AM

as opposed to “85% of mask wearers, catch it.”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Same thing!" -Trump***

Oct 16, 2020, 9:42 AM

- Jonathan Swift

Oct 16, 2020, 10:43 AM

This is how this game of "telephone works to everyone's detriment:

1. The CDC does a scientific study that indicates this:

The CDC study, which surveyed symptomatic COVID-19 patients, has found that 70.6% of respondents reported “always” wearing a mask, while an additional 14.4% say they “often” wear a mask. That means a whopping 85% of infected COVID-19 patients reported habitual mask wearing. Only 3.9% of those infected said they “never” wear a face covering.

2. But then reporter looking for clicks or ratings rather than accuracy reports it as 85% of people wearing masks get Covid, which is NOT what the study has found at all.

3. That false information gets spread all over the news and the internet by lazy and sensationalistic people looking to expand their audience or ad revenues (never forget that the first job of all news agencies is to make a profit through audience numbers and ad revenues)

4. The President amplifies this false message to his national audience.

5. Even more millions of people merely hear the inaccurate sound bite or headline and never question the premise.

6. So, not only do millions of Americans start operating on a false premise, but the actual value of the research is missed and reasonable questions about the transmission of this disease are neglected.

He does this kind of thing all the time

Oct 16, 2020, 10:43 AM

and it basically causes people to further distrust the public health recommendations.

If half the country acts on this kind of dismissal of an established public health consensus, we will never get over Covid.

The problem when you spend your whole Presidency casting aspersions on every corner of your own government is that the country can’t act in a unified manner to solve any of our problems. Whether it is immigration, education, crime, or the worst public health crisis of our lifetime.

This winter is likely going to be a rough one with covid, and it is going to be seriously tragic if you doubting dipshivitzs don’t mask up.

I heard a great interview on the radio from Dr. Saag from UAB who explained why decline in public trust is what is holding us back. He comes on at the 41 minute mark.

https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/0/f/2/0f26f40990d73f6f/PP-1230LongLasting_COVID.mp3?c_id=85731161&cs_id=85731161&expiration=1602863443&hwt=1b35751f04429fe09c9670c9fb8a45de

Trump actually got this from a CDC case study

Oct 16, 2020, 10:51 AM

You can download the report here:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6936a5-H.pdf

Trump was off on the number - in the CDC study, over 70 percent of the 154 case-patient participants still contracted COVID-19 despite wearing face coverings and following other CDC guidelines.

So President Trump was wrong - it was 70% not 85%...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please read this whole thread and then report back***

Oct 16, 2020, 10:54 AM

- Jonathan Swift

No - I actually read the study instead of the thread - much

Oct 16, 2020, 10:59 AM

more informative...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No - I actually read the study instead of the thread - much

Oct 16, 2020, 11:00 AM

And your conclusion is that 70% of people who wear masks catch Covid?

- Jonathan Swift

Re: No - I actually read the study instead of the thread - much

Oct 16, 2020, 11:18 AM [ in reply to No - I actually read the study instead of the thread - much ]

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/How-about-try-this-85-of-positive-cases-were-mask-wearers-27955583

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic