Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Was this the year for an 8 team playoff?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Was this the year for an 8 team playoff?

Dec 20, 2020, 6:24 PM

Imagine the fun if we had an 8 team playoff in 2020. So much drama throughout the year why not end it with a 3 game finale!! With the Big 10 doing everything thing it can to make sure they were represented it has some intriguing match-ups. Too bad we dont get a chance to enjoy them.

Week #1
#1 Alabama v #8 Cincinnati
#2 Clemson v #7 Florida
#3 OSU v #6 Oklahoma
#4 ND v #5 Texas A&M

Week #2

#1 Alabama v #5 Texas A&M
#2 Clemson v #6 Oklahoma

National Championship
#1 Alabama v #2 Clemson

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was this the year for an 8 team playoff?

Dec 20, 2020, 6:33 PM

I think not. It should be back to the BCS this year and just let CU and AL meet for the whole shebang.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2020, 6:41 PM

The BCS would have had Clemson at 12 or 13.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2020, 6:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Was this the year for an 8 team playoff? ]

tiger38 said:

I think not. It should be back to the BCS this year and just let CU and AL meet for the whole shebang.

I agree. Folks - we still recognize those championships from years ago right? But, many of them were not settled on the field. Why is it now that we are acting like college football has ever been fair. Often in football a team can't get right early on. But, you would not want to play them at the end of the season for nothing!
The way it is set up now - you have to be on your p's and q's early/often with no lapses in between or you may find yourself on the outs.

An expanded playoff may be coming - but isn't the answer in my mind!

A G5 championship is the answer!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2020, 6:39 PM

Number 2 would have been at a disadvantage.
Ohio State would have gotten to beat up on Oklahoma while Clemson play a hot Florida team.

Hot Florida team? They lost to LSU at home

Dec 20, 2020, 6:40 PM

Like what, 2 weeks ago?

Re: Hot Florida team? They lost to LSU at home

Dec 20, 2020, 6:41 PM

Florida is red hot compared to Oklahoma, and would beat them by 21.

Dec 20, 2020, 6:44 PM

3 SEC of 8 teams. Uhhh NO. This is exactly why it stays at 4 and you reward excellence.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2020, 6:51 PM

74TIGER said:

3 SEC of 8 teams. Uhhh NO. This is exactly why it stays at 4 and you reward excellence.

Tbf an expanded playoff gives other teams and conferences a chance to knock the SEC off the podium of ultra bestest conference ever by having more losses ooc

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2020, 7:00 PM

If someone else deserved it they would be there. Excellence not pretty good. Not maybe with a great game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2020, 7:03 PM

74TIGER said:

If someone else deserved it they would be there. Excellence not pretty good. Not maybe with a great game.

That's true but it starts with also leaving no doubt that other teams are better than "SEC team that has the 2nd or 3rd best record so we think they are good" by beating them.

That's the only way we're going to change that narrative ??????

No it was not. First, there are not more than 4 deserving

Dec 20, 2020, 6:54 PM

teams out there. Two, maybe three. Second, certainly don't want MORE rounds to potentially have covid issues. That's all I have to say about that...............

Never. Unless Conf. Championships end & season shrunk.

Dec 20, 2020, 6:55 PM

These young men dedicate their lives to studying and practicing football with less time on their hands than NFL players.

Do you want to take more of their lives away from them to play more weeks for TV entertainment. I love Clemson University and the Tiger football teams, but there is a limit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As long as

Dec 20, 2020, 7:02 PM

My team is in the top two ... I don’t care! And they seem to always be in the top tier when college football is discussed.

Re: Never. Unless Conf. Championships end & season shrunk.

Dec 20, 2020, 7:05 PM [ in reply to Never. Unless Conf. Championships end & season shrunk. ]

SocMan2® said:

These young men dedicate their lives to studying and practicing football with less time on their hands than NFL players.

Do you want to take more of their lives away from them to play more weeks for TV entertainment. I love Clemson University and the Tiger football teams, but there is a limit.

Shorten the regular season and cut conference championship games

Re: Never. Unless Conf. Championships end & season shrunk.

Dec 20, 2020, 7:06 PM [ in reply to Never. Unless Conf. Championships end & season shrunk. ]

SocMan2® said:

Mostly agree with you here.
As I will say until someone listens - if you had a G5 championship much of the debate about who gets in is covered. I would also say there should be a play in game if #4 and #5 are both somehow undefeated for the P5 championship. Same in the G5 championship.
You have the winners of those conferences then who will pretty much make up the top 4 teams. If each of the P5 teams go undefeated as said earlier you have the tie break. If each is undefeated then they are the conference champ and it means whoever they beat in their championship game has a loss. If a champion has say multiple losses - then sure you get another team from the same conference in.
But, not until the NCAA has a G5 National Championship - because they could be the undefeated team. It makes no sense otherwise!

Win your conference like your life depends on it. Then beat the other conference champs! If under that format it's the same teams - sorry!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No the best team is in the four team field without a doubt.

Dec 20, 2020, 7:03 PM

The question of who gets the fourth spot will once again prove to be a moot point.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2020, 7:55 PM

Alot of people say this should have been the year to expand, at least for this year. This would the worst year to do it,imo. It was a tough year just to get thru, don't add more potential problems when we can see the finish line. And no asterisk, whoever wins it this year definitely deserves it.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic