Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thomas Green Clemson fought for the Confederacy. When are we changing our University's name?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Thomas Green Clemson fought for the Confederacy. When are we changing our University's name?

Jun 11, 2020, 10:10 PM

Again, how far do we need to go to erase every person who's ever done a bad thing at Clemson?

"Thomas Clemson would later write of slavery, “My experience tells me that the Institution of slavery is at all times good for the Negro (no laborers in the world are so well off.) At times good for the master, but very bad for the state”[3] Just as the Clemsons settled into their new home, Thomas Clemson sought an appointment for a new adventure abroad."

https://www.clemson.edu/about/history/bios/thomas-g-clemson.html

We could call it "THE University of South Carolina" or TUSC!

??

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thomas Green Clemson fought for the Confederacy. When are we changing our University's name?

Jun 11, 2020, 10:12 PM

Right after Harvard and Duke!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

South Carolina A&M or SCAM***

Jun 11, 2020, 10:34 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty soon, I imagine.

Jun 11, 2020, 10:46 PM

The way things are goin'...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If lips start to quiver at the mere visual of Tillman Hall

Jun 11, 2020, 10:53 PM

I can’t imagine how upset people must get to see Clemson written all over town, on campus, and on sports uniforms.

I am amazed that a black student-athlete could even put on a Clemson uniform, seeing as how offensive Calhoun and Tillman names on buildings seems to be.

Since we have so many people here who think dropping the Calhoun and Tillman name is the right thing to do, surely they won’t have a problem with Clemson University as well as the town of Clemson getting new names. Right?!?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: If lips start to quiver at the mere visual of Tillman Hall

Jun 12, 2020, 6:11 AM

Clemson has turned into a brand and not even a name of a man at this stage. Its a different imo.

If Clemson is deemed offensive by the powers that be

Jun 12, 2020, 12:19 PM

its prominence will likely make it an even greater target.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jun 12, 2020, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: If lips start to quiver at the mere visual of Tillman Hall ]

I think Carlsbad is on target.

Who decided that?

Jun 16, 2020, 12:11 AM [ in reply to Re: If lips start to quiver at the mere visual of Tillman Hall ]

Did you hear a minority say that, or is it just your opinion?

Jun 12, 2020, 8:05 AM [ in reply to If lips start to quiver at the mere visual of Tillman Hall ]

Condoleeza Rice said it best back in 2017.

"I want us to have to look at those names and recognize what they did and to be able to tell our kids what they did and for them to have a sense of their own history. When you start wiping out your history, sanitizing your history to make you feel better it's a bad thing,"

"They were people of their times. I wish they had been like John Adams, who did not believe in slavery. I wish they had been like Alexander Hamilton, who was an immigrant by the way, a child of questionable parentage from the Caribbean," she said. "I wish all of them had been like that and Jefferson in particular, a lot of contradictions in Jefferson but they were people of their times and what we should celebrate is that from the Jefferson's and the Washington's as slave owners, look at where we are now ".

(She grew up in Alabama).

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 11:11 AM

One thing to remember is Condoleeza Rice was highly intelligent and wise too. That combination of assets along with humility are sorely lacking in so many Americans today. I could see it even as a 4th grader. I was hoping the glory days of our Republic would last longer than it has. Maybe a true revival is taking place and we will regain much of the positive we have lost while simultaneously exorcising the few demons that remain. Right now it's looking like hell on Earth is the goal for many on the left whether they can see it or not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Re: If lips start to quiver at the mere visual of Tillman Hall ]

No wonder the left despises her.

huge difference I think - do some research on

Jun 12, 2020, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: If lips start to quiver at the mere visual of Tillman Hall ]

TGC- from Philly - helped start University of MD- moved south at the start of civil war- mining ops in Texas and ark during civil war and didn’t have ownership of Fort Hill land til 1875 after Anna death - I don’t think she had ownership until just a few years prior - I’ve never heard that he was involved in any of the things BT was so what am I missing here?

This is a very mature way to view things.

Jun 12, 2020, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Re: If lips start to quiver at the mere visual of Tillman Hall ]

I share her view. What a wonderful sign of progress it is that black men like Nuk and Deshaun can not only gain admission to a school like Clemson today, but receive a full scholarship with free education, tutoring, housing, etc., simply because they are good football players.

Not only that, but Clemson fostered their athletic development so that they are now professional football players making millions of dollars. This has changed their lives, as well as the lives of their families.

Jun 15, 2020, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Re: If lips start to quiver at the mere visual of Tillman Hall ]

Where did this idea originate that changing a name of a building "erases history"? It's nonsense.

Same for the statues, or the numerous military bases named after Confederates who weren't even good at their jobs.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2020, 7:46 PM

Just curious, which ones were not good at their jobs? Did you serve under their command?

Jun 18, 2020, 10:52 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/23/opinion/sunday/army-base-names-confederacy-racism.html

A few nice examples here, but is that even necessary? They lost, couldn't have been that good ???????

Jun 12, 2020, 11:26 AM [ in reply to If lips start to quiver at the mere visual of Tillman Hall ]

Let's not get carried away with our virtue signalling!

Jun 12, 2020, 12:38 PM [ in reply to If lips start to quiver at the mere visual of Tillman Hall ]

Behold the great city of the New American Soviet Republic: Shermangrad!

Jun 15, 2020, 11:38 PM [ in reply to If lips start to quiver at the mere visual of Tillman Hall ]

@Judgekeller, quit huffing Brownlees drawers for a minute and back away from the ledge

He didn’t technically fight

Jun 12, 2020, 2:31 AM

There’s no story of him in battle. He was old already and more of a bureaucrat, not a soldier.

Re: He didn’t technically fight

Jun 12, 2020, 4:31 AM

Like that matters.

He owned slaves***

Jun 12, 2020, 11:17 AM [ in reply to He didn’t technically fight ]

Clemson

Re: He didn’t technically fight

Jun 12, 2020, 12:05 PM [ in reply to He didn’t technically fight ]

Is an Nazi admin clerk still a Nazi? What about a Nazi doctor?

Yes?

Did he wear the uniform and support the cause? Yep.

Re: Thomas Green Clemson fought for the Confederacy. When are we changing our University's name?

Jun 12, 2020, 2:44 AM

Since we all see where this is will end up change the name to;

The Sluttiest Kardashian University.

Several men can get behind it and I'm sure many did,

Message removed by Author

Jun 12, 2020, 11:02 AM

Message removed by Author

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He also owned slaves

Jun 12, 2020, 11:15 AM

Maybe DeShaun would appreciate America and even dear ol' Clemson more if he toured Africa during his next ten off-seasons.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Washington DC would need to be renamed too.***

Jun 12, 2020, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Message removed by Author ]

Yall have it all wrong - CLEMSON is actually an acronym for

Jun 12, 2020, 11:18 AM

Character
Love
Empathy
Morality
Sympathy
Open-hearted
Nourishing

who is this Thomas Green fellow?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 11:20 AM

Enlisted at 54 years old. Doubt he ever saw battle.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 12:06 PM

Did he wear a uniform and support the cause? Also, did he own slaves?

Jun 12, 2020, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Thomas Green Clemson fought for the Confederacy. When are we changing our University's name? ]

Might want to read...
https://www.clemson.edu/about/history/bios/thomas-g-clemson.html

"Thomas Clemson would later write of slavery, “My experience tells me that the Institution of slavery is at all times good for the Negro (no laborers in the world are so well off.) At times good for the master, but very bad for the state”[3] Just as the Clemsons settled into their new home, Thomas Clemson sought an appointment for a new adventure abroad."

Jun 12, 2020, 12:20 PM

Why don't you start a running list or poll of potential names? I think it'd be therapeutic for everyone on here.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Erasing History is The Easier Path For The Snowflakes

Jun 12, 2020, 12:37 PM

I'm almost to the point of nothing having names just like the old Soviet era call it Special Building #346 or Technical University #101

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right, the snowflakes are the ones demanding

Jun 12, 2020, 12:41 PM

change. The ones polluting the Football forum with incessant whining are definitely not delicate entitled old white dudes.

Right?!?!

Re: Right, the snowflakes are the ones demanding

Jun 12, 2020, 1:40 PM

Did you just assume someone's race?

What a racist!

You realize that owning slaves or fighting for the

Jun 12, 2020, 12:42 PM

Confederacy aren't really the issue, right?

Right?

It's almost as if you're purposefully obfuscating the argument to demonize the opposition.

Re: You realize that owning slaves or fighting for the

Jun 12, 2020, 1:41 PM

Umm... That's exactly what Hopkins and Watson stated?

Re: You realize that owning slaves or fighting for the

Jun 15, 2020, 3:55 PM [ in reply to You realize that owning slaves or fighting for the ]

Stubborn I think this whining is an attempt by some to listen and learn. Eventually they will figure it out. I'm enjoying the attempt

SC Tech

Jun 15, 2020, 1:54 PM

Might be okay, but i) reminds me of midlands tech and ii) sounds subsidiary to USC.

Jun 15, 2020, 1:57 PM

When some young man in his twenties with all wisdom decides we need to change it. Mrs. Rice gets it. You can't really compare 2020 to the 1700 and 1800 hundreds. This current culture has no right to sit in judgement on any previous generations. Most of them were moral giants compared to the degenerates running around today. Some of them can't even figure out what sex they are. It is not that hard. A famous New York native stated that these people running around wanting to take statutes of Robert E. Lee down or not worthy to tie his shoes. Lincoln wanted him to head up the union army, but he felt he must remain loyal his native state of Virginia. He was one of the great military leaders in history and many of our greatest military leaders have come from the south. American by birth, Southern by the grace of God. God Bless America.

Jun 15, 2020, 6:46 PM

You are correct in that it’s not fair to judge previous generations too harshly because we can never know all of the context and circumstances. I bet you and I can give some hope and reassurance to those that harshly critique the confederacy. Those of us who have confederate ancestors will likely be the very first to step forward to defend this great nation when it all hits the fan.

Jun 15, 2020, 4:06 PM

We should all as a Clemson family get behind the name change for the betterment of the future students. After all we don't want their feelings hurt or do we want them to disown CU like The Nuk(e) has.

Jun 15, 2020, 7:03 PM

I think the difference comes down to sometimes good people do bad things vs sometimes bad people do good things.

Calhoun and especially Tillman were bad, even in the context of their times. Clemson, not so much.

I thought John C Calhoun said that***

Jun 15, 2020, 9:59 PM

Re: I thought John C Calhoun said that***

Jun 15, 2020, 11:21 PM

Click the link

Jun 16, 2020, 6:33 AM

Since the confederacy civil war veterans of the confederacy were pardoned I dont think it should be considered based on that alone.

Jun 16, 2020, 6:33 AM

Since the civil war veterans of the confederacy were pardoned I dont think it should be considered based on that alone.

Jun 16, 2020, 6:53 AM

Oh its coming. We're on a slippery slope.

RIP college football.

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic