Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
$2 Bill Sighting in NOLA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

$2 Bill Sighting in NOLA

Jan 10, 2020, 10:11 PM

I’m kicking back at a local oyster spot when my favorite waitress comes up holding a $2 bill with paws stamped on it.

I already know this is a Clemson thing, obviously. But is there some secondary meaning?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: $2 Bill Sighting in NOLA

Jan 10, 2020, 10:13 PM

Means the Clemson will shock the world again!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

make sure you see username before TU

Jan 10, 2020, 10:15 PM

we have another troll

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

second meaning...

Jan 10, 2020, 10:14 PM

is 3 out of 4 years

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 10, 2020, 10:20 PM

Despite your jackleg profile name, here you go.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2017/09/28/clemson-vs-virginia-tech-40-anniversary-clemson-2-dollar-bill-tradition/711655001/

CLEMSON – Long before the Clemson football team began making annual postseason trips to sunny climes such as Orlando and Phoenix and Tampa and Miami, there was Atlanta.

Each of the 41 games played between Clemson and Georgia Tech between 1903 and 1973 were played in Atlanta, and coaches’ wives as well as a good number of Tigers’ fans savored the visit.

“We weren’t going to any bowl games at that time, so it was our big game of the year,” said George Bennett, former executive director of IPTAY, Clemson University’s fundraising arm for athletics. “It was an exciting town – new hotels, a lot of new restaurants and all that.

“We were taking 15,000 to 17,000 people down there for that weekend. Our people would actually go down on Wednesday, and wives would shop and all that stuff and stay in those fancy hotels and all that, and people really enjoyed going down there.”

But that tradition was thrown a curveball in 1977, when “out of the clear blue,” Bennett said, Georgia Tech called to say that it was dropping Clemson from its schedule and adding William & Mary.

The schedule change prompted one Atlanta hotel manager to quip, “Well, I hope William will bring Mary, because that’s the biggest crowd they’ll bring down here.”

It also prompted Bennett to conjure up a unique idea – namely, to coax Clemson fans into using $2 bills on their 1977 trip to Atlanta in an effort to demonstrate the financial impact Clemson fans had on the city.

Bennett approached then-coach Charley Pell with the idea and garnered full support. Bennett publicized the effort in IPTAY mailings, and the initial effort was a rousing success.

“We covered the city up with $2 bills,” Bennett said. “The Atlanta Journal Constitution wrote articles about it, and the waitresses in the restaurants were talking about it, and the cab drivers and bellhops.”

The next year, when Clemson played in the 1978 Gator Bowl, fans began stamping their $2 bills with orange Tiger Paws, further enhancing a tradition that continues to thrive.

Most Clemson fans now leave their marked money behind on all road trips, regular season or postseason, and the latest renewal of the tradition will come this weekend when Clemson fans invade the Blacksburg, Virginia, area for Saturday night’s nationally televised showdown between No. 2 Clemson and No. 12 Virginia Tech.

But bowl games hold the biggest sway.

“Now when we go to a bowl, the (bowl) committee when they come and talk to us, the first thing they say is, ‘Tell your people to bring the $2 bills,’” Bennett said.

Such instruction is no longer necessary.

“We don’t have to promote it anymore,” Bennett said. “It promotes itself now.”

From Boise, Idaho, site of the 2001 Humanitarian Bowl, to the Music City Bowl in Nashville, Tennessee, to the Fiesta Bowl in Glendale, Arizona, local businesses quickly recognize that they’re being inundated with $2 bills when Clemson fans roll into town.

The effort has resulted in several memorable moments for Bennett, such as an interesting conversation with a cab driver in Boise.

“Y’all are from Clemson, aren’t you?” the driver said.

“Yes,” Bennett replied.

“Y’all are going to give me those $2 bills, aren’t you?” came the reply.

“Yep,” Bennett said.

“Please don’t do that,” the driver said. “I need the money so bad, but if you give me those $2 bills, I’m not going to spend them.”

Then there was the time Bennett and his party overhead two waiters discussing their tips, which had come in specially marked multiples of $2.

“Clemson has their own money!" one excitedly told the other. "Clemson has their own money!”

Or the time in Miami when a man from Italy approached Bennett in a hotel lobby, essentially pleading for one of the $2 bills. Bennett readily complied, and the man responded by giving him a 100 Euro bill.

“My wife cashed that thing the next day for $129,” Bennett said.

Bennett shared the story with the hotel staff, and for the next several hours, employees searched diligently for the man, eager to make their own monetary exchange.

But he was never seen again, having slipped off in proud possession of his Tiger Paw $2 bill.

“We’ve had a lot of fun with it over the years,” Bennett said. “It has kind of identified Clemson people wherever they go, and they still get excited about doing it.”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 10, 2020, 10:39 PM

disappointed you'd waste your time to tell that one anything. Plus they arent going to read anything that long.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 10, 2020, 10:56 PM [ in reply to Re: $2 Bill Sighting in NOLA ]

Thank you.

Kudos to this fan for finding a good oyster place and not falling for the touristy places.

Where was the sighting? Might have been us!***

Jan 10, 2020, 10:58 PM

Magazine Street

Jan 10, 2020, 11:08 PM

Orange cap?

Are you a professional psychic?

Jan 10, 2020, 11:15 PM

I mean, what are the chances of him wearing an orange cap?

Seeing VERY little orange in the City today

Jan 10, 2020, 11:17 PM

Zero in the airport. Flew in from Houston about 7.

How’d ya like dem ersters***

Jan 10, 2020, 11:10 PM [ in reply to Where was the sighting? Might have been us!*** ]

Re: How’d ya like dem ersters***

Jan 10, 2020, 11:18 PM

Now L$U will claim they used 2$ bills first. #posertigers

Nah. We don’t use cash

Jan 10, 2020, 11:21 PM

We barter shrimp, crawfish, and boudin.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive