Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why we need to target the TE more
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,214

Why we need to target the TE more

Nov 1, 2020, 8:32 PM

It’s a pretty common theme that defenses are keying on our run game this year.

I can’t help but think there are some things we could do to help open up our running game. We need to make the opposing LBs think more instead of quickly get down hill and fill gaps.

Some play action delayed release targets to the TE would likely catch some backers out of position for easy first downs. We need to target the TE at least 5 times a game to help keep linebackers honest. Not just seam routes. Ins outs, whips and hitches. Easy stuff to complete.

If people are going to go mostly man against us we should use more motion. Make LBs and safeties think more pre-snap.

I also wouldn’t mind seeing some of the orbital motion we used to run with a pop pass to Amari. This kind of freezes the LBs. They have to make sure the motion guy isn’t getting the ball before their eyes get in the backfield. We could also run a cool RPO out of it IMO.

I don’t know. What do you offensive philosophers think?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why we need to target the TE more

Nov 1, 2020, 8:48 PM

Yes we need to target our TEs more but not sure DJ will on his own. The bad news is that defenses are mostly stopping our run game with their front four because our o line has gotten no push all year except maybe the Miami game. I do think we will have a few more called tight end pass plays against the Irish. We need to try some misdirection and more running off the tackle. Hate to say it but our center is the weakest link and for me as long as he does not snap it over the QB’s head I am happy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2020, 8:58 PM

I think they are still hiding wrinkles. We haven’t seen the offense opened up yet. Even with Trevor at the helm. We’ve scored a lot of points on athletic plays not schematics.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2020, 9:12 PM

I hope you are right but I am not that optimistic, and I don’t know if they will open it up with DJ at the helm. I do know we are by far the best offense that Notre Dame has seen and now that DJ has a start under his belt and everyone will have a week of practice knowing DJ is the starter will help.

Nov 1, 2020, 9:36 PM

If you watched the same game I did yesterday why would they hesitate at all to open the book with DJ at QB?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. We have to start changing the scheme to help our

Nov 2, 2020, 11:49 AM

OL

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2020, 10:11 PM

Ive always been a fan of the fake pitch to the RB or the fake tunnel screen pump with the TE streaking down the seam because the LB went with the fake.

Nov 2, 2020, 11:57 AM

+1
I’ve been waiting awhile for our TE game to get going, we have flashes of it, definitely a critical component in opening up the run game, keep the Defense honest. I’ve said it before on TNET, it’s my favorite chess piece.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,214
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic