Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those of you who are not familiar with Woody Hayes...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

For those of you who are not familiar with Woody Hayes...

Dec 27, 2019, 9:58 AM

Here are a few of his career highlights...

In 1959, following a 17?0 loss to USC, Hayes threw a punch at Los Angeles Examiner sportswriter Al Bine, but missed, and punched the brother of Pasadena Independent sports editor Bob Shafer in the back instead. In a May 1965 meeting of Big Ten Conference athletic directors and coaches, Hayes nearly started a fight with Iowa's athletic director, Forest Evashevski, before being restrained.

In 1968, Hayes' team won a game against rival Michigan, 50–14. Late in that game, Ohio State held a commanding 44–14 advantage and scored one final touchdown. Rather than taking the more common extra point kick, Hayes instead opted for a two-point conversion, but was unsuccessful, leading many football fans to believe that Hayes was running up the score. When asked later why he went for two points, Hayes said, "Because they wouldn't let me go for three.”

Prior to the 1973 Rose Bowl, Hayes shoved a camera into the face of a news photographer. As a result, Hayes was suspended for three games, fined $2,000, and left California with a subpoena.

In 1977, a late fumble at Michigan caused him to charge at ABC cameraman Mike Freedman, who recorded his frustration; Hayes was ejected, put on probation by the Big Ten Conference, and fined $2,000.

Comments on the My Lai Massacre
Speaking at a football banquet in 1969, Hayes spoke about the recently revealed My Lai Massacre. He stated that the Vietnamese men in My Lai deserved to die, "and I wouldn't be so sure those women were innocent. The children are obviously innocent – if they are less than five."

Confrontation with Jerry Markbreit
Late in the 1971 rivalry game against Michigan in Ann Arbor, furious over what he thought was a missed defensive pass interference foul committed by Thom Darden of Michigan, Hayes stormed onto the field, launched a profanity-laced tirade at referee Jerry Markbreit, and tore up the sideline markers, receiving a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Hayes then threw the penalty flag into the crowd, began destroying the yard markers, and threw the first-down marker into the ground like a javelin before being restrained by Buckeyes team officials; Hayes was then assessed an additional 15-yard penalty and ejected. Hayes was suspended for one game and fined $1,000.

1978 Gator Bowl incident and dismissal
On December 29, 1978, the Buckeyes played in the Gator Bowl against Clemson. Late in the fourth quarter, Clemson was leading Ohio State 17–15. Freshman quarterback Art Schlichter managed to get Ohio State into field goal range. On third and 5 at the Clemson 24-yard line with 2:30 left and the clock running, Hayes called a pass rather than a run, because Schlichter was having a great game up to that point. Schlichter's next pass was intercepted by Clemson nose guard Charlie Bauman, who returned it toward the Ohio State sideline, where he was run out of bounds. After Bauman stood up facing the OSU sideline Hayes punched him in the throat, triggering a bench-clearing brawl. Hayes stormed onto the field and was abusive towards the referee. When one of Hayes' own players, offensive lineman, Ken Fritz, tried to intervene, Hayes turned on him and had to be restrained by defensive coordinator George Hill. The Buckeyes were assessed two 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for Hayes' attack on Bauman and his abuse towards the referee. Bauman was not injured by Hayes' punch and shrugged the incident off. Even though the game was being telecast by ABC, announcer Keith Jackson neither saw nor commented about the punch. Co-announcer Ara Parseghian did not comment either. (At the time, all non-press box cameras were operated remotely from another site, and Jackson allegedly did not actually witness the punch, his view of the sidelines being blocked by the upper tier of the stadium).

After the game, Ohio State Athletic Director Hugh Hindman, who had played for Hayes at Miami University and had been an assistant under him for seven years, privately confronted Hayes in the Buckeye locker room. He said that he intended to tell school president Harold Enarson about what happened, and strongly implied that Hayes had coached his last game at Ohio State. After a heated exchange, Hindman said that he then offered Hayes a chance to resign, but Hayes refused, saying, "That would make it too easy for you. You had better go ahead and fire me." Hindman then met with Enarson at a country club near Jacksonville, and the two agreed that Hayes had to go.

The next morning, Hindman told Hayes that he had been fired. A press conference was held at the hotel where the team had been staying. The team returned to Columbus around noon, and Hayes left the airport in a police car. Regarding Hayes' dismissal, Enarson said that "there isn't a university or athletic conference in this country that would permit a coach to physically assault a college athlete." After the incident, Hayes reflected on his career by saying, "Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach." About two months after the incident, Hayes called Bauman in his dorm room, but did not apologize for his previous attack on him. Earle Bruce succeeded Hayes as Ohio State's head coach.

Many years later, Leonard Downie, Jr., former executive editor of The Washington Post and student journalist at Ohio State, said he regretted not reporting an incident in the 1960s where Hayes instructed a player to take off his helmet and then hit him in the head.

According to the 1994 HBO documentary American Coaches: Men of Vision and Victory, Hindman had placed Hayes on notice at the beginning of the 1978 season, not just for the swing at the ABC cameraman during the 1977 Michigan game, but also for hitting a player during a practice. In his 1989 autobiography, Michigan's Bo Schembechler wrote that he believed Hayes, who was diabetic and may have had a high blood sugar level, didn't believe he struck Bauman. Schembechler also pointed out that Hayes had maintained that all he was trying to do was grab the ball away.

~Wikipedia

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: For those of you who are not familiar with Woody Hayes...

Dec 27, 2019, 10:05 AM

Well Bo was lying or wrong. He made a fist and hit him under the face mask. So the going for the ball thing is another attempt to cover for man because he was a colleague. Given that history of behavior to give him a statue and name a building for him speaks volumes about Ohio State. Look up their present and past scandals. Ju.st amazing how they operate

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2019, 10:12 AM

You just have to watch old video of how he coached during practice. He would not have one single recruit if he's still coached. Players and parents won't put up with that kind of maniacal coaching style today.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Woody Hayes...Was an old school

Dec 27, 2019, 10:08 AM

coach . I'm not trying to make excuses for him however he was a coach in an era without social media and snowflakes around when being rough with players was the norm. Read the Junction Boys...Bear Bryant was brutal to his players . . I played for some coaches that were rough and tough. They'd grab you by the face mask and sling yah' from side to side to get their point across .

Heck I had a former coach who became an official let me have it in a game for a face mask penalty . He told me he taught me better than that ! LOL

As I've said in other posts lately about Woody Coach Ford said he was well respected in coaching circles and he hated that his career ended that way .

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Woody Hayes...Was an old school

Dec 27, 2019, 10:12 AM

I've talked to numerous former Oh St players of his. They loved him even though he treated them like dogs. It was a different era of coach and athlete.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Big difference between being "rough and tough"...

Dec 27, 2019, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Woody Hayes...Was an old school ]

and throwing punches at members of the media & opposing players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Yup. Woody crossed that line a lot.***

Dec 27, 2019, 12:16 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Woody Hayes...Was an old school

Dec 27, 2019, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Woody Hayes...Was an old school ]

It has never, at anytime, been acceptable for a coach to punch an opposing player. Hayes was considered a jerk at the time.

meh

Dec 27, 2019, 10:13 AM

Typical Ohioan

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Dec 27, 2019, 10:14 AM

how can you remember all of this?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2019, 10:37 AM

The good ole days. MAGA

Dec 27, 2019, 11:02 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's just trying to knock the ball away.***

Dec 27, 2019, 11:04 AM

Re: He's just trying to knock the ball away.***

Dec 27, 2019, 12:23 PM

Heard from several tosu fans that Bauman started it by taunting Woody...they really believe that.

Video is clear...

Dec 27, 2019, 12:32 PM

He never looked Woody’s direction, nor was there time for Bauman to insult Woody and Woody to react. Woody lost his cool during the play and punched Bauman, which he had done to others several times before.

Message was edited by: Francis Marion®

Re: Video is clear...

Dec 27, 2019, 1:04 PM

I'm sure the OSU players were giving Charlie an earful soon as he got within earshot. After the tackle he jumped up FACING THE PLAYERS to respond in kind. Woody freaked because he was a mediocre man as he said so himself.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2019, 11:03 AM

Definitely a different time. I had a high school O line coach in 1980 snatched up a player like a sack of potatoes and carried him in a sprint about 60 yards to toss him over the fence and tell him to get off his field. That coach also didn’t like the way our QB ran the option one time in practice when he pitched it and got his running back killed. The coach took off in a dead sprint (about 6-5 250 lbs) while the QB stood there and watched him. The coach never stopped and just leveled the QB and ended up on top of him screaming in his face.

Dec 27, 2019, 12:35 PM

That piece of dog crap should've been charged with aggravated assault.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

What Woody Hayes needed was a thorough, old school

Dec 27, 2019, 11:12 AM

country ### whooping. And then another one and another one if needed, but it probably wouldn't have taken but one good one. Hayes was nothing more than a bully who intimidated his way to power, and was enabled by a bunch of admiring cowards.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I think the NCAA needs to look into this

Dec 27, 2019, 11:19 AM

and possibly vacate all of the wins from his tenure at Ohio University. I think that sends a clear message to AD's at all programs that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed.***

Dec 27, 2019, 5:20 PM

Dec 27, 2019, 1:20 PM

Woody was quite often a jerk on the football field and what he did to Bauman was inexcusable. He was a great recruiter, but mediocre coach who lost 2 national championships to substantially inferior Stanford and UCLA teams.

On the other, he performed many,many acts of kindness and charity, such as personally calling the parents of Vietnam soldiers who he had visited in Vietnam. See link for many examples http://m.thepostgame.com/features/201302/woody-hayes-100-years-coach-ohio-state-buckeyes-college-football-columbus

His varsity letter players graduated at a 87.6% rate and he strongly emphasized the value of an education. When one of his players, Moose Machinisky, was doing poorly in the classroom, Hayes took Machinisky into his house and personally made sure that Machinisky did the classroom work. He lived in a different world and was a weird mixture of good and bad.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic