Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Worst CFB HC hires for the money and for expectations?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Worst CFB HC hires for the money and for expectations?

Oct 2, 2020, 9:37 AM

I'd have to put ol' Jimbo Fisher right up at the second-from-the-top right now. Between the crazy amount A&M paid for him and the NC expectations, they're not seeing much return - yet, anyway. We'll see how he does this year.

Harbaugh makes the top of my list. He's had some really good teams - were they any team other than Michigan - but has yet to beat his rival or win any/many of his big games, in or out of conference. Kind of a Tommy Bowden kinda record - respectable or even great at your average middling program, but with the expectations of a UM or a Clemson - pretty disappointing.

I don't put Muschump on the list simply because the coots didn't really have any serious expectations with him and didn't pay him a ton like Jimbo got.

Who makes your list?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Worst CFB HC hires for the money and for expectations?

Oct 2, 2020, 9:43 AM

Add Tom Herman in there as a Jim Harbaugh clone in terms of super high expectations and then having a ceiling for the program that sits well below those expectations.

Both programs expected national championships and they can barely get out of their own way enough to beat middle of the road teams in their own conference.

In Jimmy H's Defense He Has Had Lot's of Cool Sleepovers

Oct 2, 2020, 10:20 AM

In fact he and Biden could probably share some creepy stories about young men

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Willy taggart at FSU is waving***

Oct 2, 2020, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Worst CFB HC hires for the money and for expectations? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Willy taggart at FSU is waving***

Oct 2, 2020, 12:59 PM

I was wondering when someone would bring his name up. He is scertainly worthy of being in the conversation.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do uou know if he has been paid more NOT TO COACH

Oct 2, 2020, 6:05 PM

than he was paid TO COACH? It has to be close...

Well, if you had listened to a lot of TNetters

Oct 2, 2020, 10:02 AM

it would have been Dabo Swinney... I mean, we shoulda gone for Lane Kiffen. Oh, it's a good time to be a Tiger!

Re: Well, if you had listened to a lot of TNetters

Oct 2, 2020, 10:05 AM

I believe Dabo would be the opposite of what he is looking for.

People thought it was such a terrible hire that there were zero expectations which he quickly exceeded by winning the division in his first season as head coach.

You need to check your shoe laces cause you be trippin mon.

Oct 2, 2020, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Well, if you had listened to a lot of TNetters ]

I believe Mike leach
Bill cowher ...and Gary Patterson were the leading tnet candidates.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

There was a fleeting rumor of Lane Kiffin as HC

Oct 2, 2020, 10:21 AM

and bringing Monte with him as DC. That circus landed in Knoxville a short time later though.

I don't know if he was ever seriously under consideration, but the media was certainly talking about it, as was Tigernet.

Re: You need to check your shoe laces cause you be trippin mon.

Oct 2, 2020, 11:30 AM [ in reply to You need to check your shoe laces cause you be trippin mon. ]

You forgot one of the other names that was popular at the time... Will Muschamp

I'm not a Harbaugh fan, but Tommy Bowden is about as close

Oct 2, 2020, 10:03 AM

to Harbaugh as (pick your SC quarterback) is to Trevor Lawrence. Harbaugh took over a bad Stanford program that had just gone 1-11 and in year 4 he went 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl. And then he nearly won a SB with the 49ers.

Re: I'm not a Harbaugh fan, but Tommy Bowden is about as close

Oct 2, 2020, 10:04 AM

I believe he is only speaking of his time at Michigan.

Well he obviously hasn't been as good at Michigan

Oct 2, 2020, 10:14 AM

but he's had 2 different teams that were basically a win against Ohio State away from playing in the B1G title game (as a favorite) with a spot in the playoff on the line. They got embarrassed in 2018, but they were basically a questionable spot away from winning in 2016. I think it's fair to say he hasn't lived up to the hype, but he certainly hasn't been bad, and he's still way better than Bowden was at Clemson (especially post-Rich Rod).

I think the most surprising thing to me about Harbaugh at Michigan is his inability to recruit and/or develop quarterbacks. That was generally seen as one of his strengths and i would argue it's far and away the biggest thing that has held them back.

Oct 2, 2020, 10:07 AM

Chip Kelly belongs somewhere on the list. He is 7-17 since arriving at UCLA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2020, 11:04 AM

Kiff at any of his stops

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bimbo was certainly the first into my mind, but Harbaugh

Oct 2, 2020, 11:18 AM

at Meechigan has to be a close second. He is one more beating by O310 State from being gone. If I was a Meechigan fan, I would actually hope for that, because it is abundantly clear that he will never bring them to elite status.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Muskrat Suzi, Muskrat Sam, Muskrat Will

Oct 2, 2020, 11:23 AM

Is one of top “so called coaches” who have literally stolen Millions with little in return. Charlie Weiss is in this category as well. He Fleeced Notre Dame and Kansas back to back.

Re: Muskrat Suzi, Muskrat Sam, Muskrat Will

Oct 2, 2020, 11:43 AM

All good responses. Of the group of overpaid coaches, I feel Jimbo might soon start feeling the heat the most. Michigan and UCLA have more reasonable fans than the Texas money men. They want a return on their 75M and it probably needs to start this weekend against Alabama. If A&M lays an egg (expected) against the Tide, then watch out.

I don't see A&M having a shot, especially with Mond at qb.

Mond is actually a pretty darn good QB, if he is not running

Oct 2, 2020, 11:48 AM

for his life. Jimbo's glaring shortcoming at A&M so far, at least to me, is his inability to recruit the "Big Nasties" in the offensive line positions. That was already rearing its head at FSU before he left, as well. Even Tom Brady will look like Tom Thumb when he is repeatedly driven facedown into the turf.

Why does TAMU have high expectations?

Oct 2, 2020, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Muskrat Suzi, Muskrat Sam, Muskrat Will ]

In the last 70 (!) years the Aggies rank 31st in winning percentage.

The Aggies claim 3 Nattys but the most recent was before WWII and two of them were so long ago none of us would recognize the names of the organizations that awarded those dubious titles.

TAMU has a worse record against their instate rival Texas than SC does against Clemson. TAMU is second tier in their home state and not among the best 25 programs in the nation overall. Heck, in the last 20 years, the Aggies are the 3rd ranked team from Texas!

TAMU has a lot of oil money, a big stadium, and way too many quirky traditions. There is no reason for the Aggies to have higher expectations than Arkansas.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't Kansas pay Charlie Weis...

Oct 2, 2020, 12:29 PM

some unGodly amount of money?

I believe his record during his three years tenure were something like 1-11, 3-9 and 2-2

He was fired four games into year three of his contract.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Oct 2, 2020, 1:17 PM

I'll trhow some other names out. But, when you consider money, Jimbo has to be #1. If you just talk about coaches who underperformed based on their expectations, here is a list off the top of my head.

Rich Rodriguez at Michigan.
Charlie Strong at Texas.
Mike Price and Dennis Francionne at Bama.
Ron Zook at Florida.
Ray Goff at Georgia. (Side note: We went to HS together.)
Terry Bowden at Auburn. (Great job his first year, then all downhill.)

And, of course, Willie Taggart at FSU.

But, there was actually a worse coach at FSU. Many, many years ago. Bill Peterson had built FSU into an "up and coming power" who actually put FSU on the football map in the 60s. He was replaced by Larry Jones.

Jones had success his first two years there (with Peterson's players) going 8-4 then 7-4. His third year he went 0-11. He was fired and Darrell Mudra was hired, who went 4-18 om tw0 years. He was fired and Bobby was hired.

In Mudra's defense, he walked into a program FAR worse than what Taggart walked into. Jones completely destroyed the program.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2020, 1:52 PM

With the exception of Taggert - which I think is a bit unfair since Jimbo leftovers were worse than advertised FSU was willing to toss Willy under the bus before they even built a bus or Willy even arrived... there are a LOT worse hires. Most folks mentioned so far had at least 9-10+ win season. The worst are not even 7 winners:

Coaches that basically never won but were nicely paid

Randy Edsall @ Maryland - basically broke the program. Toss in the DJ Durkin, well it make sense why Maryland shouldn't ever allowed to make its own decisions.

Mike Riley @ Nebraska - nothing like taking a mostly .500 coach and expecting .800 performance.

Charlie Strong, Derek Dooley - yup

May have missed it but Brian Kelly has got to

Oct 2, 2020, 5:36 PM

fit that bill somewhat. I think he was the coach when they got smoked by Bama? So what ND fans expect has been a letdown. Do not know how much he makes.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic