Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can our O-line get better?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 2,079

Can our O-line get better?

Nov 2, 2020, 10:18 AM

How? Technique? Personnel?

They will have to improve quickly for us to make a final run to the playoffs. They have been the biggest disappointment so far this season.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can our O-line get better?

Nov 2, 2020, 10:25 AM

There are lots of things that could be better with out o-line this season.

Some of them can be fixed and some of them can't.

None of the fixes will allow us to see our o-line completely dominate a game and have us running all over an opponent from start to finish.

I believe that is what people want to see, but it's not a possibility with this o-line.

To have an overall productive rushing day in terms of total yards, we have to rely on multiple huge plays from either broken tackles or busts in run fits from the opposing defense. I don't see us getting to 200 yards by going 5-7 per play in any games this year and definitely not this week.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. And that is my main worry.

Nov 2, 2020, 10:28 AM

My next worries are.....

Injuries-Must have Tyler Davis back at least.
Play-calling-DJ has a great arm. Let him throw it more down the field.
Secondary-Not as sharp as they need to be. Still young, I know.

Re: Agree. And that is my main worry.

Nov 2, 2020, 10:38 AM

In regards to those 3 worries:

1) I agree 100%!

2) It's not just an arm strength thing. Ladson or Ngata must return healthy to stretch the field. The guys on the field Saturday were not that type of guy. EJ Williams might be at some point but isn't trusted that much yet and BC was giving Amari extra attention which makes it much tougher for him to get deep.

3) We have had very mixed results in the secondary this year, but it seems like when one is struggling they all are. I hope for our sake that they are on fire against ND like they were against Miami!

Against Miami, we ran a 4 man front with multiple blitzes.

Nov 2, 2020, 10:49 AM

We'll need that again this weekend. Tyler Davis is back, and I'll feel pretty good.

Re: Against Miami, we ran a 4 man front with multiple blitzes.

Nov 2, 2020, 11:15 AM

I would love to see more 4 man fronts period. We have the bodies this year. Maybe injures have forced more 3 man looks the last few weeks or this is what BV ultimately wants to start transitioning to, idk. Last year we didn’t have the bodies/talent and the 3 man front got the most talented guys on the field. Maybe I’m missing something though. BV is the best in the business and trust him ultimately.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree. And that is my main worry.

Nov 2, 2020, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Agree. And that is my main worry. ]

I guess somebody is taking it out on us over our poor OL play with the TD button.

I'm throwing you a few extra TU to help balance it out.

Appreciate that.

Nov 2, 2020, 11:01 AM

This is a Tiger Football Forum....not sure why anyone would be upset at us talking about our team's weaknesses.

We just want to get better!

Nov 2, 2020, 10:33 AM

Sadly, I don't think so.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Nov 2, 2020, 10:34 AM

The center is getting beat a lot. Furthermore, the number of high snaps is off the charts.

Nov 2, 2020, 10:39 AM

Snaps is one of the things that can improve.

The center getting beaten regularly however is one I feel can't be fixed.

There is nowhere to go but up

Nov 2, 2020, 10:40 AM

First thing I’ve noticed. Carman isn’t playing up to his full potential. He has made a lot of mental errors. We can clean that up.

We could shuffle around some personnel. I don’t know if that’s the answer.

I think some more high intensity run blocking drills could get them more comfortable run blocking at game speed. Maybe some good old Oklahoma drill could benefit them.

Schematically, running out of 4 wide sets could take some pressure off them. The other team cannot stack
The box and key on the run when you have 4 WR on the field. Maybe 3 wideouts with a blocking TE could loosen things up as well.

I’m optimistic. It will get better. We couldn’t bust in vs Citadel on the goal line.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some areas may improve a little, but I don't think the

Nov 2, 2020, 10:43 AM

ceiling is all that high. Also, I'm not sure we have any answer at center.

Re: Some areas may improve a little, but I don't think the

Nov 2, 2020, 10:46 AM

We have no depth at center. If Stewart goes down, ugh.

Bockhorst continues to whiff on blocks left and right.

Stewart is getting consistently pushed around.

Putnam is missing a lot of assignments, for whatever reason.

Carman's technique has regressed. He seems to be bending more at the waist and really extending his arms a lot, which is not a good sign.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Was it Stewart that got knocked flat on his back once

Nov 2, 2020, 10:49 AM

against Cuse? I think it was either C or LG, and that's not something I'm accustomed to seeing though Big Dex probably did it to somebody during his time at CU.

Carman got put on his butt once this past Saturday.

Nov 2, 2020, 10:51 AM

Hope Dabo spends A LOT of time with that unit this week.

Re: Was it Stewart that got knocked flat on his back once

Nov 2, 2020, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Was it Stewart that got knocked flat on his back once ]

Yes. I don't know what's going on with him because Dabo was raving about him earlier this year.

Screw Calford.

Perhaps trying to inspire some confidence***

Nov 2, 2020, 10:56 AM

YES!! Need some help from the coaches, though.

Nov 2, 2020, 11:09 AM

I have watched a couple of games on DVR after watching from close-to-field level. I think alot can be attributed to assignments. I see alot of double teams with C and G, where one of those guys is supposed to work to the next level (to the LB). A C and G is supposed to work the N and LB on alot of plays, but they like to stay on the one guy closest to them, leaving the LB free. This is fixable.

I see alot of schemes where we are zone blocking with 5 OL, with seven defenders in the box. The math doesn't work here. Scheme has to be tweaked to bring in additional blockers to seal the backside. ALOT of this is due to the lack of RPO or Run options over the last coupla weeks. Again, scheme here is hurting.

Carmen can play better, for sure. Some of the guys are who they are (sounds like Reggie Herring "we got who we got")... and are going to have to step up.

They can do it though, but it's a team effort (players and coaches)!

Nov 2, 2020, 11:10 AM

Yes, they are not playing well as a unit run blocking, we had the same issue last year and it got better by the end of November. Pass blocking has been superb at times.

However Bockhorst is a complete animal at left guard. Pay attention to him on any running play and he is usually knocking his guy 2 yards backwards. Putnum has a ton of potential and needs experience.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2020, 11:17 AM

Pass blocking has been superb---no issue there IMO.

Screw Calford.

Nov 2, 2020, 11:19 AM

other than a few head scratchers from Carman, they played well most of the season. I think we gave up our first sack in week 5 against Syracuse.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember what happened two years ago

Nov 2, 2020, 11:33 AM

So obviously they can. The concern is there hasn't been steady improvement over the first 7 games.

We will learn a lot this weekend.

Replies: 22
| visibility 2,079
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic