Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Your thoughts on the safety and LB groups?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Your thoughts on the safety and LB groups?

Sep 8, 2020, 8:08 AM

Every time I read a national media analysis of our 2020 team, I see them raise questions about the O-line, which I get given that there are so many new starters there.

But as I look at the roster, I see the safety group and the LB group as real question marks as well. Those groups look OK, but are they national-championship outstanding? The D-line should be filthy, which should help.

What are your thoughts on the safety and LB groups? Will they be just OK, or much better than that?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The starters will be solid to very good

Sep 8, 2020, 8:13 AM

Back ups will be talented but untested that will see a bunch of snaps early in the year to get seasoned.

Re: Your thoughts on the safety and LB groups?

Sep 8, 2020, 9:54 AM

My thoughts exactly.
Tanner the Thumper and Isaiah are noticeably gone. I would think teams would try to challenge us in the air early on.

Sep 8, 2020, 10:04 AM

I think Lannden Zanders is going to be a super star. When he committed, I remember just being blown away by his high school film. He is a freak athlete. I actually think the depth at LB and Safety is very strong. There are very few projects. Most of these guys are really good football players. You look at guys like Kane Patterson and Vonte Bentley as third string and they were 4 star guys. Guys like Charleston and Mickens are high 4 star guys behind the starters at safety and I think Phillips and Thornton are really good, too. They both come from great high school programs.

Sep 8, 2020, 12:04 PM

Nickels isn’t listed on the 3 deep. Behind Zanders is Ray Thornton and Jalyn Phillips.

Sep 8, 2020, 12:05 PM

*Mickens... stupid autocorrect.

Sep 9, 2020, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Your thoughts on the safety and LB groups? ]

Jackson Carman was raving about Mickens in his video yesterday.

Sep 8, 2020, 10:06 AM

I think we miss 11 big time. But he was a rare talent so......I agree with your thoughts. I’d rank this as my second biggest concern. Love the talent and potential back there though

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 8, 2020, 11:03 AM

There will never be another 11 but our LB group should be fine.

Safeties are my biggest concern along with WR.

Sep 8, 2020, 11:25 AM

I recall hearing Dabo saying this is the strongest we have been at LB in awhile.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder if he was considering Simmons a LB when he said

Sep 8, 2020, 11:41 AM

that.

Re: I wonder if he was considering Simmons a LB when he said

Sep 8, 2020, 12:48 PM

I think depth wise this is the best we have ever been at LB. Simmons will be missed, but I literally think we have 7-8 guys that I'd feel comfortable starting.

Re: I wonder if he was considering Simmons a LB when he said

Sep 8, 2020, 5:17 PM [ in reply to I wonder if he was considering Simmons a LB when he said ]

Yes, that was a comment from one of his recent interviews.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 8, 2020, 1:17 PM

We seem to be a tad bit on the white side.

Sep 8, 2020, 8:19 PM

The lack of speed at these positions is a possible concern. Might be a problem when we play Canes & Noles but definitely will get tested in CFB playoff against SEC foes.

Sep 8, 2020, 10:10 PM

Umm, what lack of speed? Simmons will be missed, but this is a deep and hungry LB Corp. “SEC speed” is a joke.

Sep 9, 2020, 7:31 AM

Deep and hungry doesn't help in pass coverage. Other than Skalski, haven't seen much in our returning LB's being able to cover (Freshmen LB's not included). Hoping the improved DL will help cover this potential vulnerability.

Sep 9, 2020, 11:39 AM

Depth most certainly helps in pass coverage as it relates to fatigue and subbing.

Again, what lack of speed? Nobody truly knows what you have until they run out onto the field, but what is telling you our guys can’t cover? There is plenty of speed and more so than there has been in recent years.

Sep 8, 2020, 1:42 PM

I think it is important that are veteran LBs stay healthy, especially for the first 4 or 5 games. By mid season, we can expect to see a couple of young players step up and claim their shot.

Sep 8, 2020, 10:03 PM

Mike Jones JR. is going to be the key. Coaches seem super high on him. We will see. I certainly have no reason to question them. We have some solid athleticism and talent upgrades this year (and years to come) over last year. Wait till the light comes on for Bentley and these freshmen LB’s. When they get the scheme down it is going to be special. Not sure when that happens though.

Zanders is likely to be our best safety in decades. He can do it all. We have 5-6 that deserve to play and would likely do a great job, but Zanders will set himself apart this year.

There will be some busts because of inexperience. Just hope it doesn’t bite us in a big game. It will be a fun, fun season.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2020, 12:50 PM

Skalski will have an All-American type season. He’s going to be really really good, possibly BV’s best ILB since he’s been here. I think Mike Jones Jr, though he won’t be as good as Simmons, can replicate what Dorian O’Daniel was able to do at that position. The jury is still out on Babylon Spector, but he should be able to be as effective as Chad Smith was last year. Spector is definitely more athletic than a Smith. I think we’ll be better at Mike and Will. Worse at Sam.

Nolan Turner will just be consistent, but probably won’t flash. The coaches love Lannden Zanders, so I think he will definitely flash. But, he’s only in his 2nd year, so some mental mistakes should be expected. Joseph Charleston is a thumper. Ray Thornton is really athletic. And Jayln Phillips can play. Losing 3/4 safeties will clearly hurt. But, I think we’ll be more athletic.

The defensive line has to make major improvements. And I believe that they will.

Sep 9, 2020, 1:26 PM

We are definitely going to miss 11 this season. I think Zanders is a good fit in the secondary and Turner will get the job done, I believe. However, after our starters at LB, I am very concerned. Really wish Bentley would jump onto the scene and make it interesting. Such a highly touted guy out of high school that could be big in the coming years. I hope Venables starting this week doesn't hurt us too badly up in Winston-Salem this weekend.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2020, 1:35 PM

Cannot wait to see more snaps from Keith Maguire at WLB. That kid is a beast and had a high school history of always being around the ball in making things happen at Malvern Prep located in Philly suburbs.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic