Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
First Clemson football memories?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

First Clemson football memories?

Jan 25, 2019, 8:43 AM

I had a brother and a sister go to Clemson in the mid and late 70s, so my first memories are of going to games with them. My brother knew the guy who was The Tiger and I remember seeing the mascot w/o his head on! It was cool, though.

I remember walking through the parking lots to the stadium and hearing a merchandise vendor yelling "Get your Tiger Rags and wear 'em in your back pocket like Billy Lott!" - or something like that! Going on to the field after the game was always a huge thrill. I never did get any "good" autographs, but at the time, it was still great!

And I remember the Maryland game way back in 1983 when we first did the balloon launch - set a Guinness Book record - and me, in my youthful victorious attitude, heckling Boomer Esiason as he walked off the field. I think that game won us the ACC as we beat them handily, 52-27.

We didn't get to a lot of games - maybe one a year - but it was such a great environment, fun, colorful and for a little kid - BIG! I can only imagine what it felt like to my kids in recent years!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My most vivid early memories

Jan 25, 2019, 8:48 AM

The Catch
1978 Gator Bowl

Starting in 1981, I have many memories, but these are the two early ones that stand out. This period, 1977-1978, was when I became a fan.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: First Clemson football memories?

Jan 25, 2019, 8:52 AM

My Dad took us when we were probably 6- 8 years old. We sat on the home side that was about 3/4 full and there was no west end zone or upper decks!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2019, 9:01 AM

my first memory was my first game.. i was 8yrs old.. first game of the '87 season vs western carolina.. it was cloudy/rainy and clemson killed em..

my next vivid memory was a few weeks later clemson vs uga.. i remember them downing the ball on the 1 to set up the safety.. and of course i remember treadwell's kick..

my next memory wasn't so good.. '88... fsu.. it was very exciting.. but, very heartbreaking.

UpRoar 84***

Jan 25, 2019, 9:05 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jan 25, 2019, 9:08 AM

when the coots caused a fight in the valley and the state troopers where called in

Jan 25, 2019, 9:11 AM

Central Michigan, homecoming 2007. My first game. I’m a young buck around here lol

Jan 25, 2019, 9:13 AM

I have a couple. My first memory is listening to the games and hearing the announcers talking about Ray Yauger and Buddy Gore. It was also a treat to hear coach Howard talk after the games. Secondly, being able to wear my High School Jersey to the games where we could get in for $1 and sometimes free. It was a different time but many a Tiger fan was made for life. I'm just glad I grew up close to Clemson!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2019, 9:25 AM

First game was 1983 Georgia as a 3 year old. Bleachers near the hill and the cannon making me cry. Continued to see every home game until I moved away for college.(yeah sorry not an alumni) but fan ever since. My dad continues to be faithful season ticket holder.

Jan 25, 2019, 9:26 AM

I remember Hootie's tenure as much as I try to forget it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1974 Beating UGa. 28-24

Jan 25, 2019, 9:28 AM

1974 Undefeated home schedule, I still have the bottle celebrating the feat.

And Georgia Tech too!!! Winning both games was..........

Jan 25, 2019, 9:36 AM

a really big deal.

Renfrow in 1981 Natty***

Jan 25, 2019, 9:30 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Yeah, he and Perry Tuttle were great receivers in that game.***

Jan 25, 2019, 9:35 AM

My Dad played on the undefeated 1948 team

Jan 25, 2019, 9:31 AM

so we had season tickets for years and years.

One special memory is when we beat the Coots 7 - 6 in the early 70's. They scored right at the end of the game and went for 2 points instead of kicking the tying extra point.

I was crying in the stands thinking they were going to win 8 to 7 in the last minute! My Dad told me they were not going to make it - and he was right. A Tiger defender batted away the pass attempt and the Tigers won 7 -6.

It was rainy and cold that day - about 40 degrees and raining. Will never forget going to the games with my Dad. RIP "Sunset" Carson (as Coach Howard called him).

1964 or 1965 with my Dad - was against Wake Forest..........

Jan 25, 2019, 9:33 AM

I think. Can remember Coach Howard on the sideline and I think Jimmy Addison was the QB but not sure.

Mid 80's, parking at Clemson House

Jan 25, 2019, 9:33 AM

Sliding down the West end zone hills on cardboard. Playing catch with my dad after the games and diving into the end zone. Getting up at the crack of dawn and stopping to eat Cracker Barrel in Gaffney. The first game I specifically remember is the 34-3 Georgia game.

Jan 25, 2019, 9:44 AM

Vs. Duke in 81. I remember toilet paper being thrown from the upper deck, south stands and getting lost.

Helping my mom locate some things, I found some old pictures I took at a Clemson game. There were 10 of us in one picture and I realized three have since left us. That game was a lot of fun!!

Message was edited by: MyfavOrange®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2019, 9:45 AM

My early childhood memories of Clemson football are sliding down the hills in the stadium while my dad watched the game. This was obviously before the renovations removed all but The Hill.

My favorite teen/college memories are beating FSU in 2003 and maybe the most fun I have ever had at a Clemson game in beating GA Tech in 2006. The GA Tech game was amazing but being there from the start of Gameday through the celebration after the game with my younger brother was an amazing day. It was the first game that we had ever gone to (driving up from the low country) without our parents.

My favorite adult memories revolve around my family as well. Clemson vs UGA 2013 was the first game my wife and I went to after being married (keeper because agreed to July wedding to not conflict with Clemson sports).
We informed our "tailgate family" that our first child was on the way prior to the 2015 victory vs FSU in the first game Clemson ever played as the #1 team in Death Valley.

The most memorable game for me is celebrating the 2016 National Championship in Tampa (tailgating) with my entire family, including my 9 month old daughter.

Funniest memory to date was at Louisville game this year and my 2 year old daughter, in seeing the Louisville mascot, asked "Daddy why is that stinky chicken on the field?". She had never uttered that phrase before. We now refer to the coots as the stinky chickens in our house. My daughter knows she is not allowed to say the gamecoot word. If TNET edits that word then my daughter shouldn't be allowed to say it either.

Jan 25, 2019, 9:59 AM

Watching Frank Howard announce his retirement on WIS TV news.

I was a 5 year old Clemson fan, living in Columbia with a house full of gamecock fans. I remember watching it feeling sad for him. Attended my first game earlier that season. Couldn't tell you who we were playing or who won, but I had a blast on the hill.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

October 11, 1975. Beat Wake 16-14

Jan 25, 2019, 10:01 AM

My family would go to a few games a year. The next one I remember vividly was Georgia in 1981.

Then the next was my freshman year 1983. Don't remember the opponent, but I sat in the brand new north upper deck and had a conversation with some random guy throughout the game. Sitting in my room in Johnstone afterward and my roommate walks in, followed by the guy. Turns out it was my roommates brother.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2019, 11:07 AM

My first game early 90's Wake Forest and Dred Booe. As a 7 or 8 year old kid hearing that name I was like "TF was wrong with his parents" but the dude was actually a pretty good player.

Jan 25, 2019, 11:11 AM

Unfortunately for me didn't get into college football until early 90s, was raised more of an NFL fame but transitioned over in this time frame.

I saw prior stuff but my first strong memory is the Citrus Bowl with Cal following the 91 season, unfortunately. From there I haven't missed a game, that was the start of the real bad period because From 92 to 98 we were really really bad. 99, Bowdens first year, we started to climb from bad to average/above average. As much as people criticize Bowden, I still think he was part of our rebound and build some of the foundation that Dabo built on.

Jan 25, 2019, 11:19 AM

Remember serenading Paul Diesel(sic) as he retired. Poor old Paul.

Jan 25, 2019, 11:23 AM

Used to always go to the spring games with my dad and brother

1971 - Maryland v. Clemson

Jan 25, 2019, 11:27 AM

I was 8 years old and my grandfather (Class of 24) took me to my first Clemson game.

Clemson won 20 - 14

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

first FB game in Clemson - at Littlejohn

Jan 25, 2019, 11:57 AM

1. Family friends took me to Littlejohn to watch us play at Maryland on closed circuit tv in 1978. My gosh, what an experience. I still have the ticket stub. My 11 year-old self had never attended anything with that many people. The place was rocking in a back and forth affair. The players who stood out the most were Fuller, Butler, and Clark. I think my college choice was finalized that day.

2. My first actual attendance in the Valley was my freshman year (1985).

3. The first time I took my children ('96) and ('98) were certainly special. Of course, they were babies, but we had a little more room in the stadium at that time.

Bottom line: every day in Memorial Stadium watching the Tigers play on Frank Howard Field is special. I thank God each time I have the opportunity. Have not missed a home tilt since Ken Hatfield stood on the sideline.

Jan 25, 2019, 12:15 PM

My earliest memory of Clemson football, I was walking through the den and my father said, You should watch this game, Clemson is playing LSU in the Sugar Bowl. I had no interest whatsoever. Then one day I started dating this wonderful guy who was a 3rd generation Clemson student. Here we are now with a 4th generation grad daughter Married to a Clemson grad.

Maryland homecoming 1983 (with the balloons)

Jan 25, 2019, 12:19 PM

And watching the Fridge get off the bus....two early memories.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2019, 12:31 PM

Stepping on the field in 1970 as a freshman member of Tiger Band when the Tigers opened the season against the Citadel.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic