Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
urban turned down texas
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,683

urban turned down texas

Dec 7, 2020, 8:45 PM

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-longhorns/2020/12/07/urban-meyer-turns-down-texas-head-coaching-job-leaving-longhorns-fumbling-for-a-plan-b/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: urban turned down texas

Dec 7, 2020, 10:10 PM

Embarrassing for Texas; going after Meyer with Herman still on the job. They deserve it. Like Auburn courting Petrino while Tuberville was there.

Dec 7, 2020, 10:36 PM

Plenty of people will contest this statement: Tom Herman should stay at Texas. He’s done a decent job. The reason recruiting is suffering revolves around the unrealistic pressure from the boosters. The uncertainty their actions create hinders confidence in the program. A little patience goes a long way. At this point, they’re creating their own funeral. The Texas program is a living embodiment of insanity—repeating the same actions and expecting different results.

Dec 7, 2020, 11:04 PM

Most of the boosters cite non on field performance things as an issue. He’s been there 3 years won a sugar bowl and had to compete with a rival that’s a top 4 program annually and a Jimbo Fisher down the road yet he still manages 10 win seasons within his 3rd year especially with how bad they were under strong. I don’t think Herman is wrong for the job and I don’t think firing him helps. Boosters are just splitting them right now.

Dec 8, 2020, 9:43 AM

I honestly thing the best think some Texas boosters can do for Texas is to start supporting A&M.

Just taking into the assumption that Herman *isnt* the right coach. (The wrong assumption, but hey) but that isn't a good idea: Texas chasing other folks is going to sour the coaching pool, heck it is obvious they are willing to go underthetable at anything flashy. What coach will consider that a coach is disposable after a 7-3 season (3rd in conference). Assume that those 2 lost games were "wins" (since I dont think Maryland was scheduled) and this season in a non-Covid2020 year could have been a 10 win season with a bowl win. Right now, there aren't any "proven" 11+ win coaches on the market floating around... definitely none that will deal with this crud.

However, Herman is the right coach for *now* even if it is getting the program back to the point where Texas is at least a steady 9 win program again. However, things are not that bad at Texas. Herman is actually outpacing Dabo for wins and up until this year with the rumors, Herman was likely going to have another 2-3 positive performance/recruiting years in front of him. At least the program would have been stable.

Jimbo (as we know) is not a long haul coach. He might spring out faster but he will collapse. Lincoln Riley is (IMO) going to the NFL as while he was able to keep the Stoops momentum going, I don't think he can sustain it and it is starting to show. Campbell will be going somehwere most likely but I could see him staying too - but even then, his best seasons never cracked 9 wins.

At this point, if I was Herman, demand a big extension and a bigger buyout. If not, take another gig or sit-out.

Not Surprising!

Dec 7, 2020, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Re: urban turned down texas ]

Southern Cal - I could see Urban going for; not Texas! For all the accolades Texas H.S. Football gets and as big of a State as Texas is - one would think they are loaded with "outstanding almost NFL type players"! I think that façade adds to the unreal expectations there!
As of 2019 Texas had a population of 28 million. But, they are dividing that talent up for in state kids with 10 schools off the top of my head:
Texas
Baylor
Texas Tech
SMU
Texas A&M
Houston
TCU
Rice
Texas State
UTEP
UTSA
***Plus, Texas gets raided pretty badly by Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and LSU.

Florida major to mid-majors are below. In 2019 Florida population was 21 million.
Miami
Florida
South Florida
UCF
Fau
FIU
Florida State
**Bethune Cookman
**Florida A&M
*Plus, just about everyone on the eastern seaboard and mid-west raids Florida for talent.

Florida while yes having 7 million less people only has to "provide" basically only 3 Power 5 conference teams! Texas has to provide for 5. BTW, I threw the two Meac Schools in to add to the overall numbers for Florida. I did not include small schools in Texas.
With the unrealistic expectations of Longhorns fans - unless they score another Mack Brown type who is not appreciated where he is or is "not supported" well but still winning like he did at North Carolina on his first go round - Texas might just struggle!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is complete baloney. Tom Herman has issues

Dec 8, 2020, 1:52 AM [ in reply to Re: urban turned down texas ]

One of the main problems with Herman is he is VERY intense. At the same time, he doesn't have complete respect from his players. That is a lethal cocktail that has caught up with him the last 2 years.

He's also arrogant, condescending, entitled and just very unlikable.

The players are tired of him and it shows. Watching their effort level yo yo up and down between games kind of reminds me of Charlie Strong.

UT is a uniquely difficult place to coach, no doubt about it. But don't blame pressure from boosters for recruiting issues when you have no clue about the program.

If talent was the problem and he was getting max effort from players, the fire wouldn't be so hot. But they aren't playing up to their talent and one more season won't change that.

All in all, I hope he stays because it will ensure another wasted year for them. :)

Dec 7, 2020, 11:57 PM

For now...until he makes a miraculous health and family recovery next month when the numbers change

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was broken not getting a Chikens offer......***

Dec 8, 2020, 12:07 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mack Brown to Texas

Dec 8, 2020, 2:21 AM

would be hilarious. But Bill Snyder did it at KSU and did pretty well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Lol! They would never do that. But, if they did, and I was

Dec 8, 2020, 9:52 AM

Mack, I would summon up the biggest FU the world has ever seen, and deliver it to them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe I'm naive, but I actually think Urban Meyer has some

Dec 8, 2020, 5:27 AM

real concerns with his health. Ohio State is/was his dream job and when he gave up the bucknut head coaching gig you can bet it was based on real health concerns.

Seeing how Texas continues to struggle to find their way back to relevance should make all Clemson Tigers fans realize just how lucky we have been for the last 10+ years. It is a very rare thing to get and keep the BOT, Administrators, Athletic Department, Booster Club, Coaching staff, support staff, and alumni all on the same sheet of music - especially in the early years when the on-field results typically lag behind expectations.

Most places just don't have the patience or ability to keep all those folks rowing in the same direction if there is not some immediate championship result on the field. Clemson got lucky beyond our best hopes when we promoted that little known wide receivers coach Dabo Swinney to head coach. Dabo is a force of nature that is a rare breed in the coaching profession. He is an extremely competent and hard working Coach, Business CEO, Salesman, and Visionary all in one person who is also genuinely humble with a sense of humor and a likeable personality.

But even with all that - Dabo still needed to be the right "fit" for Clemson and that is what really sets Clemson apart from most programs. If there was ever a perfect match in the college football coaching profession, where the University's personality and the Coaches personality are one in the same it has to be Clemson and Dabo Swinney.

Texas' problem, like many others, is that they want to chase the hottest winning coach at the time regardless of "fit". Sometimes that will work out but more times than not it ends with another coaching search after 4 years of turmoil.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, that finally proves that the spider tumor in his head

Dec 8, 2020, 9:50 AM

is totally inoperable. If not, those Texas oil barons would have paid all the money in the world for a team of surgeons to remove it, no cost to him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,683
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic