Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As you age, does your feelings toward football change?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

As you age, does your feelings toward football change?

Dec 14, 2017, 3:53 PM

Do you care less? Care more when you retired and have more free time?

I actually cared LESS while I attended Clemson...and that was when Spiller was there! I regret not making the most of those years. I missed out on many opportunities to see a Clemson legend.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As you age, does your feelings toward football change?

Dec 14, 2017, 3:54 PM

It's always been my thing. That's over 40 years now following them. Hasnt changed

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that was a sly attempt to identify us old fellas....***

Dec 14, 2017, 3:55 PM

Same here. I was a freshman at Clemson in 1977, I'm every

Dec 14, 2017, 5:49 PM [ in reply to Re: As you age, does your feelings toward football change? ]

bit as excited about every game today as I was my freshman year. I will feel the same way the last season the Good Lord blesses me to see, even if I'm 100 years old.

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2017, 3:56 PM

Everything changes

Dec 14, 2017, 4:09 PM

> Everything changes.

You are right about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a student and up to now, I have always been excited about Clemson football. So sorry I can't attend the games any longer; however, thank goodness for TV.

In fact, I get too excited!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm 57 so I can say H3LL NO! I love as much today

Dec 14, 2017, 3:58 PM

as I did in my late teens

Dec 14, 2017, 3:59 PM

I have always loved the Tigers even as a little kid but I know more about the team and follow them more closely since turning 15 or 16. I am 25 now. I don't see me ever caring any less. Idk why but I, like many, feel like Clemson football is apart of my life. It is not everything but it is dang important. Though it has no impact on me or my family if they win expect for my happiness.

wins are better losses don't matter as much***

Dec 14, 2017, 3:59 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep.

Dec 14, 2017, 4:06 PM

Unless it's to the chickens.

Re: Yep.

Dec 14, 2017, 7:56 PM

I have to say at 62 my dislike of all things Scar are if nothing else more embedded and intensified.

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Re: Yep.

Dec 14, 2017, 9:01 PM

Same here, my dislike for the coots has more than tripled ever since Spurrier helped them taste a little bit of success. After that bare minimum of success, coot nation turned into a rotten fan base that I had never seen or heard about in all my years of being a FB fan. They became more angry and vindictive as any fan base in the entire country, and not only against Clemson, it was every fan base they played on a regular bases except for the Bama fan base. And that one is the one that I have never understood. It was like they now felt like a bully and was scared to death of the baddest bully in Bama that came around some times!!!! The total truth is, it is their own administrations fault that they have never been successful in FB, and that is bc they never wanted to pay the price for a successful FB program in their past history. And now that only Spurrier has been successful there, it's really hard to find another good solid head fb coach to come and risk their careers there!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very true. The older you get the faster you move on to

Dec 14, 2017, 5:50 PM [ in reply to wins are better losses don't matter as much*** ]

the next game.

Dec 14, 2017, 4:19 PM

At 96 and counting I suppose I qualify as aging. As we age, more factors become involved, the most important, perhaps, being health. There are other factors involved but I will not attempt to enumerate because they don't apply to me. I still love football, continue to go to the games and bleed orange. I've seen the ups and downs of the program since 1955. I suppose the main difference is the subdued "gungho". I hate like heck for the Tigers to lose but realize now football is not the most important thing in my life. Our values change and it is not so much our losing interest in the game as it these other factors in our life have gained more importance than what they commanded in our younger years.

After re-reading my comments, they seem a bit contradictory. If I had lost interest or my interest was subdued, what the heck am I doing on this board?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ No one can argue with this post.***

Dec 14, 2017, 4:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

dude..

Dec 14, 2017, 7:52 PM [ in reply to Re: As you age, does your feelings toward football change? ]

you're old :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Joe - I speak for everyone here - we LOVE you and your

Dec 14, 2017, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: As you age, does your feelings toward football change? ]

perspective is priceless.

I agree with others - I'm still as passionate as ever and wildly celebrate the wins - even the ugly ones - and fret the losses A LOT LESS than I used to.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Joe - I speak for everyone here - we LOVE you and your

Dec 14, 2017, 9:08 PM

That's the absolute truth, it just gets easier to move on past the ugly ones with the age!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2017, 4:24 PM

My interest was very high in the not the best days, and it has doubled in the Dabo years!!! No drop off for me!!!

The older I get, the more I appreciate it.***

Dec 14, 2017, 4:25 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2017, 4:38 PM

Imo, there are few definite factors in the growth of a football fan. I've seasoned a bit over the years but how much I care or how passionate I am about Clemson Football hasn't changed.

In my early years of being a Tiger fan, which was a period of five or six years after graduation it seemed the world ended when we lost our first game. Danny being fired might have been the breaking point. I didn't think I'd ever get over it. I'm kinda moving on now.

I went from a doom and gloom guy to someone who can find a bright star on the cloudiest night. Maybe it's age or maybe the orange glasses are just thicker, it's hard to say.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel the same way.

Dec 14, 2017, 4:54 PM

Still love the Tigers, attend all the home games/bowls, enjoy the environment, but I no longer see a loss as the end of the world. Losses used to mean sleeplessness, agitation,etc. The FSU 2013 game cured me...staying in the stands to watch that entire game helped realign my priorities.

Dec 14, 2017, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Re: As you age, does your feelings toward football change? ]

Danny being fired was a tough time for me to get over the anger I had towards the administration, it took a while to say the least!!!

I have been a fan since I went to 1977 ND game in DV

Dec 14, 2017, 4:47 PM

My passion is as deep as it was as a kid. I refuse to let life interfere. 20 years in Marine Corps, 5 combat tours, stationed all over US, nothing gets in the way. Women, friends, family all know that the Tigers and my SCSU Bulldogs (my alma mater) are a huge, non-negotiable part of my life, period. It has added a ton to my life and anyone close to me is welcome to share it but it is not dwindling for any reason. I do not buy the being married means giving up stuff I love that is a healthy habit. Sports passion is my thing. They all have to accept it or find other folks to deal with.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have been a fan since I went to 1977 ND game in DV

Dec 14, 2017, 8:01 PM

It’s funny how those things affect your life. My husband and I was married in 5/92 with each having children from a previous marriage. For the 1st years of knowing him I really disliked him, but obviously that changed. However, one thing was he was a Scar fan and I politely informed him that I wasn’t going to start a relationship or dating with him being a Scar far. That was the only thing I was immovable on. He quickly learned to love orange and our Tigers. He is the first one in the house up on game day dressed in his Clemson attire.

I’m 59, so I was at Clemson when things

Dec 14, 2017, 4:50 PM

started to turn around in the late 70’s. I am enjoying this run as much or more! One thing I will say that has changed is that I am much more satisfied to watch a game on TV. That would have never been the case when younger!

Re: I’m 59, so I was at Clemson when things

Dec 14, 2017, 4:56 PM

I’m 48 and feel the same way. Just don’t care to be in the large crowds anymore. Have a few friends and family over to watch the game is the route I’ve taken the last 3 years.

Dec 14, 2017, 6:19 PM [ in reply to I’m 59, so I was at Clemson when things ]

Same here...would much rather watch the games on tv than attend. Too many other important things in my life to give up an entire Saturday for football. Still try to get to town for one game every year but that is usually enough for me.

Dec 14, 2017, 8:06 PM

I would love for my health to allow me to climb those hills and stadium steps. Even the absolute fun of tailgating. I have been keeping my IPTAY up even though I don’t order tickets, but I think that may change as my husband gets close to retiring. TV is fun, it’s A/C and heat, no rain, rewind, slow motion etc but there really is nothing like being in the stands and screaming with 80,000 other people

58 here, and pretty much the same. Clemson sports, football

Dec 14, 2017, 8:57 PM [ in reply to I’m 59, so I was at Clemson when things ]

in particular, has probably been the one constant in my life from birth to present day. Through every stage of my life, every milestone and major event, it has been there, like a rock. Season tickets from the time I was 6 or 7 years old until about 8 years ago. Went to many away games and only missed a handful of home games over that stretch. Still love wearing orange and giving coots ####. Still feel the excitement and can hardly wait for each season to roll around and then for each game once it arrives. Like you, however, actually going to the games is not as important to me anymore. I just don't have it in me anymore to devote an entire day, which is pretty much what it takes, to attend too many games, especially when I can watch it on TV, drink beer, watch replays, and then as soon as it's over, I'm already home. Yeah, it's not the same, and I love the feeling of being part of that Death Valley crowd, but it's a trade off, and it's one I gladly make.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: 58 here, and pretty much the same. Clemson sports, football

Dec 14, 2017, 9:54 PM

Not being able to go since I was injured has been a tough nut to crack for me. The excitement of being at a big game in DV I sorely miss even today, and the last game was FSU at night when FSU QB got knocked out his shoes and the game. It was the we are the champions night, and it was "one of" the best games of my 55 years as a Clemson fan, and DV was rocking!!! I become a Clemson fan right before I turned 10 years old, it was the very first FB game that I ever saw in November 1962 against South Carolina, my B-day was the 27th and the game was on the 24th, and that was my sister B-day!!! The only thing I knew about being a fan was when I heard Clemson's name mention, I knew that I liked that team, and that lasted until I was about 14 or 15 going out for JV FB in school in Sumter county, and I would get into fights bc I liked Clemson, and most everybody was coot fans, but still don't talk crap bc I liked Clemson bc a Clemson fan was willing to feed them coots a knuckle sandwich:) I forget a lot of things now at 65, but I remember those days pretty well!!! Goooo Tigersss beat the H&ll out of Bama, and feed them some knuckle sandwiches under a pile!!!;)

AT 79, the only thing that has changed

Dec 14, 2017, 4:57 PM

is that I no longer have the energy to fight the traffic and crowds to go to the game, especially when you young folks stand up in front of me the whole game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.

Dec 14, 2017, 4:57 PM

I hate the coots as much now as I did the day I stepped on campus in 1978.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Dec 14, 2017, 5:00 PM

I can't say I care less. In fact my nerves are shot every time I watch a game. But it is situational. Right now my family is healthy, jobs are secure so you have more time & energy for sports and hobbies. But I can attest, when you're sitting in that hospital room with your kid hooked to IVs, you care oh so very little who missed what FG or dropped what pass. Like Dabo said - paraphrasing - This is football, there is no pressure. Its just a game. Finding out your family member or yourself has cancer or that you are out of job with no prospects.....that's pressure. In those moments, football is very distant from your thoughts.

..but right now all is well, I probably love football a little too much. I tell my wife - I've loved Clemson since I was 5 yrs old. I met you when I was 21. Don't press your luck! (Joking, of course....maybe...)

Some years are different than others

Dec 14, 2017, 5:09 PM

I'd say my interest has stayed pretty consistent for the most part since around 04-05. I fell off a little after Woody left then was hooked again when it came out that we were one of the top picks for James Davis.

I've seen the top of the moutain twice now ...

Dec 14, 2017, 5:51 PM

Looking forward to more, but if it doesn't happen, I'm good.

Because I've also seen the depths of a 2-9 season and never beating SCAR the entire time I was a student.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you graduate in 73?

Dec 15, 2017, 6:37 AM

That's my graduation year and after losing to the chickens my first two years we beat them in 71 and 72. In fact, we humiliated them 7-6 in 1972.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did you graduate in 73?

Dec 15, 2017, 8:36 AM

You're correct. In my advanced age, I guess I'm conflating not having a single winning season with losing to SCAR. We were pretty terrible my whole time as a student, but we did indeed beat SCAR in 71 and 72. Thanks for the correction.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2017, 6:15 PM

I'm 48 and love Clemson as much as ever, but as I have gotten older I'm able put losses in perspective. A loss used to ruin my entire weekend. Now, I cuss a little and forget about it. Figured out a long time ago that getting stressed out about a game is stupid. I think I am now able to enjoy games much more because I don't dread a loss.

I pay attention more now, though I don't live and die by the

Dec 14, 2017, 6:50 PM

outcomes like I did 15 years ago. I fret over the games less but plan to watch them more.

Like has previously been mentioned, my appreciation has increased as I have aged.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Dec 14, 2017, 7:53 PM

I think the older you get your love of Clemson increases. You are more mature, hopefully, and pay attention to more of the things like character and leadership. Could be wrong, but my 2 cents

Dec 14, 2017, 8:51 PM

Been following and giving limited financial support to Tiger football since age six so fifty plus years is a boatload of memories! The wife and I love DV, but with a bad heart, a fractured disk and one bum knee it is getting harder to climb stairs!

My wife is Winthrop convert and “all in” so we watch television and listen to radio for most games. Winning never gets old, but losing still hurts.

Go Tigers!

Dec 14, 2017, 8:04 PM

I’m definitely not as into it as I was when I was younger.

It’s just hard to be as concerned about something I have absolutely no control over.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Dec 14, 2017, 8:06 PM

As an addendum I’m really glad I’m older now that Clemson is on such an elite level.

It would have killed to see Clemson so far ahead of us at 13-22. But it really wasn’t bad at all with you guys winning the national championship.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Careful...

Dec 14, 2017, 9:04 PM

FGF will take your "#### lover" card.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

far less important

Dec 14, 2017, 9:14 PM

as you get older you realize there are a lot more important things than a football game

Dec 14, 2017, 11:15 PM

I've always been I to it, but as time goes by I find myself getting more and more I to the details of it. Instead of a season, I'm mow wrapped up in it all year long. I'm nowhere near retiring and I don't have a lot of extra time between all my commitments, but I have gotten more and more wrapped up in recruiting and all the details that go into producing the product we see on the field that I was not so I treated in when I was younger.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2017, 12:01 AM

I'm 66 and my feelings for football have gotten stronger and stronger. My feelings for Clemson football have gone through the roof. My feelings for Clemson have gotten stronger and stronger too. I could entertain you describing all the great games I've attended, and i could bring you to tears describing some of the terrible losses I've sat through.

But the reason I'm posting is to tell you about my third sentence. I tailgate in lot 5 and gave my pass to my daughter who was bringing her 2 young children. I parked on the East side of campus and walked to the game. It had been years since I had walked through the middle of campus. The feelings and memories were almost overwhelming. I remembered all the cold, rainy mornings i walked across the library bridge to get to class. I remembered the times I walked between the Calhoun mansion and the tin cans. The cans have been long gone. After the game i took a different route and passed by Brackette Hall. My first class was in the auditorium. I walked by the amphetheater and remembered all the pep rallies i went to. I also remember when Jane Fonda spoke there. I also went by where i proposed to my first wife. If you have not been through campus in a while, i highly recommend it. The memories came flooding back. I'll continue going to the games until i am absolutely physically unable to make it. I'll send by saying GO TIGERS!!!!

I live and breathe it during the season with close

Dec 15, 2017, 5:12 AM

to the same passion I had while at Clemson.

A few years ago while out of state for a niece's wedding, a nephew, who is also a Clemson alumnus, got cracked up watching my antics during a game. I clearly remember his words, "Where did you learn all that cussing? You'd think you were back on the sidelines leading cheers!"

I still don't take losses well, although I recover a little quicker, and I hold exactly the same opinion about winning: I don't like to just beat an opponent. I want us to devastate each to the point of utter humiliation.

Other than all that, I suppose I haven't mellowed much in my 70 years. lol

I actually love college football now more than ever. I used

Dec 15, 2017, 6:33 AM

to enjoy basketball almost as much as football, but the one and done era has taken the shine off college basketball for me. (I am 63, so can actually remember when most kids stayed for at least 3 years.)

I am 54, and Freshman year was 1981...

Dec 15, 2017, 6:52 AM

The only difference for me is now I have to take a blood pressure pill on game day!

Go Tigers!

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic