Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: No. 1 Tigers top Orange in spring season restart
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

TNET: No. 1 Tigers top Orange in spring season restart

Mar 7, 2021, 7:22 PM

No. 1 Tigers top Orange in spring season restart

CLEMSON, S.C. -- The first brace of Callum Johnson’s collegiate career, along with Isaiah Reid’s first goal as a Tiger, secured No. 1 Clemson a 3-1 victory over Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: No. 1 Tigers top Orange in spring season restart

Mar 7, 2021, 8:13 PM

Very impressive finish on the goals and the 3rd one should be on ESPN Top 10.

I'm old. I may be having a false memory but

Mar 7, 2021, 8:23 PM

Do I remember college soccer playing games in both the spring and fall sometime around the late 80's/early 90's?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm old. I may be having a false memory but

Mar 7, 2021, 8:43 PM

Not that I recall, at least in Div 1.

Don't recall fall/spring seasons, but ....

Mar 7, 2021, 9:33 PM [ in reply to I'm old. I may be having a false memory but ]

(an aside to my younger, pre-college years)

in the 1970s, Clemson soccer was dominating the ACC (those who played soccer) and had become a national power. The home games were not played at Historic Riggs Field (old Riggs field was a run down track field with some spotty grass in the infield). Home games were at what is now Lot 2 for football games. Coach Ibrahim had built a power house, many players with with a Nigerian connection. I watched many games as a high schooler watching Clemson running circles around the competition. As many know, future Tiger football field goal kickers were found on the soccer team (Obed Ariri, Donald Igwebuike to name a couple).

https://clemsontigers.com/being-ranked-number-one/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was a student during that time

Mar 7, 2021, 10:17 PM

I even played in the pep bands that we occasionally put together for big games.

Taking it back a few years earlier, what is now Lot 2 was the football practice field.

Frank Howard told a story about the last year that he coached. He said there was a sign on the street where the football players crossed the street from the dressing room in Fike to go to the field that read "Please drive safely and don't injure our football players as the cross the street to practice"
He said that one week, after a particularly annoying loss, someone scribbled on the bottom of the sign, "besides, the coaches will be along in a few minutes"

‘78 was my first year on the team..

Mar 7, 2021, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Don't recall fall/spring seasons, but .... ]

... we played on the field across from Fike where the football parking is today. It was one of the best natural grass fields in the country with a nice crown on it. When the powers that be decided to use that space for parking, there was a huge uproar by the student body for relocating the field.

However, we were moved to Riggs anyway. Our first year there, the field was not in great shape and there was a grate for water drainage right around the 50 yard line that was covered with sod for each game.

Since Clemson’s ground crew has always been exceptional, by 1980, the grate was gone and the field was in great shape.

My first roommate was the late Taiwo Ogunjobi, a great player but even greater man. He later was the head of the Nigerian Football Association for many years.

Obed and Donald were my teammates, as well as Christian and Nnamdi Nwakocha, Bobby Lue, and Mo Tinsley, among other greats.

For much of 1978 and 1979 we were ranked #1 in the country for most of the year and finished the seasons 3rd and 2nd in the country, respectively. We won the ACC both of those years.

I like to think that we helped pave the road for our National titles in 1984 and 1987. ??. Go Tigers!!

Re: ‘78 was my first year on the team..

Mar 7, 2021, 10:57 PM

Dang, you were a year behind me at Clemson. Sort of glad you were able to experience the Lot 2 fields before they became intramural fields and parking lots. I probably saw you play.

It could be old age, but I recall one player that always played with a stocking cap on. Ahead of his time. Still there in your time?
One other name that sticks out for me from the 70's is Woolley Ford. Maybe it was the name or maybe he was a playmaker.

Yes, Riggs field was a mess back then. A crappy track for joggers and a spring party place for Greek games and Derby Days. Times have changed for the better.

Paved the way for sure!!!!!

Mar 7, 2021, 11:15 PM [ in reply to ‘78 was my first year on the team.. ]

Football was always foremost growing up in Clemson in the 60s and 70s, but soccer was catching on and a lot of fun to watch.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic