Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why did UGA rip off Green Bay’s “G”?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Why did UGA rip off Green Bay’s “G”?

Jan 24, 2021, 4:15 PM

So unoriginal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why did UGA rip off Green Bay’s “G”?

Jan 24, 2021, 4:18 PM

UGA ripped off Grambling's logo.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2021, 4:40 PM

For the exact same reason that they ripped off Yale’s mascot and architecture. No imagination.

Jan 24, 2021, 5:49 PM

Vince Dooley supposedly bought it from GB ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Georgia stole it from Greenwood High.***

Jan 24, 2021, 5:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Georgia stole it from Greenwood High.***

Jan 24, 2021, 6:56 PM

Yes every time I pass GHS and see those "G" signs lit up on the building I think of that. Georgia had that logo since the 60's I believe and it's a little slimmer than the Green Bay one.

Jan 24, 2021, 6:59 PM

Also the Greer Yellow Jackets uses it too. They are a mashup of UGA and GT.

Jan 24, 2021, 7:06 PM [ in reply to Georgia stole it from Greenwood High.*** ]

I've heard that Pinky Babb and Vince Lombardi were friends. That's not shocking since Babb is one of the best high school coaches of all time. From what I heard, Green Bay apparently got the G from Greenwood High and Greenwood got uniforms that looked just like Green Bay's (they were the Greenwood High Emeralds back then). Eventually Greenwood became the Eagles and changed their uniforms to Black and Gold instead of Green and Gold (maybe when Greenwood High and Emerald High split apart?) Georgia and Grambling either stole their G from Greenwood or from Green Bay.

Re: maybe when Greenwood High and Emerald High split

Jan 24, 2021, 10:28 PM

Greenwood was already the Eagles in the late 70's. It doesn't "seem" like Emerald has been around quite that long, but I'll admit there were a lot of years I didn't keep up with schools outside my own county.

Re: maybe when Greenwood High and Emerald High split

Jan 25, 2021, 1:23 PM

You are correct. Emerald did not open until the mid 90's. Greenwood used the G and changed to Eagles when they moved to the new campus in the 70's. They were the Emeralds for years before at the old uptown campus on S. Main.

If you look closely, the two logos are different...

Jan 25, 2021, 8:08 AM

The story I got from a buddy of mine who is a UGa fan said the logo was designed by the wife of one of Dooley's assistant coaches. While the Georgia G was a little different, the University still requested permission from Green Bay to use it, and the Packers obviously granted the request.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: If you look closely, the two logos are different...

Jan 25, 2021, 10:49 AM

True, and Green Bay "gave" permission to use the logo with no licensing agreement of any kind. UGA has used the logo for free for all these years.

Different era.

Jan 25, 2021, 1:12 PM

LOL. Maybe same reason Clemson ripped off the Tiger mascot from Auburn?

Found one^^^***

Jan 25, 2021, 1:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Jan 25, 2021, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Why did UGA rip off Green Bay’s “G”? ]

Who ripped off who on the fight song? AU or Ga? That has got to be annoying when y’all play the “war eagles.”

Jan 25, 2021, 1:37 PM

Funny how many southern schools ripped off each others traditions especially in the deep south and SEC. Didn't Clemson even have their own version of GT's Ramblin Wreck vehicle at one time?

Jan 25, 2021, 2:37 PM

grrowl said:

Funny how many southern schools ripped off each others traditions especially in the deep south and SEC. Didn't Clemson even have their own version of GT's Ramblin Wreck vehicle at one time?

That's so true! Some things that people fight tooth and nail over today, they didn't give much of a rip about back in the day. I haven't heard about a Clemson Ramblin' Wreck - that might be an interesting story. I know tech stole Heisman away from y'all after y'all stole him from Auburn. And I've heard a story that the reason y'all have purple as a color is that the original uniforms Walter Riggs brought with him from Auburn were orange and navy blue, but the orange dye had bled onto the navy in the wash and made them look purple. So the tradition stuck!

Jan 25, 2021, 3:08 PM

For much more information on this subject, I'm ordering a book by Andrew McIlwaine Bell, published in 2020: "The Origins of Southern College Football: How an Ivy League Game Became a Dixie Tradition."

As you would guess, the book discusses the post Civil War South and how Southern colleges looked to the Ivy League for inspiration in establishing their programs and traditions.

Jan 25, 2021, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Why did UGA rip off Green Bay’s “G”? ]

Vintage pic from the 70's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il8SvXMo-6A

Re: Then Gainesville High School Stole It From Georgia? ---

Jan 25, 2021, 4:45 PM

That ""G "" has been pulled around and used so much no wonder its stretched all out.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic