Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A BUNCH of y'all owe Brad Brownell an apology! He's a great coach!
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 901

A BUNCH of y'all owe Brad Brownell an apology! He's a great coach!

Mar 29, 2024, 10:50 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A BUNCH of y'all owe Brad Brownell an apology! He's a great coach!

Mar 29, 2024, 11:24 AM

Nope, not great. Glad we are where we are in the tourney but you can't judge a 14 year history on 3 games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2024, 11:58 AM

Yes, Let's not go crazy here! This was clearly BB's greatest victory as a head coach in 14 years. I give him credit for making this run in the NCAA Tournament, but it's only ONE year. Clemson has mysteriously shocked all of us who thought they wouldn't make it pass Baylor, let alone Arizona, based on Brad B's history. This is Clemson's first Elite Eight appearance in 44 years (1980 was the last), so hold your horses, people. They could beat Alabama and get the Final Four. It appears to be one of those years that we may never see in another 20. He cannot be considered a great coach for the 2024 tournament run. Coach K was a great coach. Dean Smith was a great coach. John Wooden was a great coach. Greatness is determines by decades of stellar success, not in one special tournament year. So let's calm down to reality here. No apology will be given because BB has so much to prove. One moment can't define that.
nevertheless, I must give credit where it is due. I am still crossing my fingers here. Alabama beat UNC and will play Clemson. Clemson has an advantage because Alabama is similar to Baylor and Arizona. No real fundamental base, and wild shooting trying to speed up the tempo. If the Tigers cam maintain their poise, which has shocked me, slow down the tempo, and keep making threes, they have a really good chance. If Brad B can pull off a Final Four appearance, something this program has never accomplished in their history, he will have earned the accolades he gets. Again, a tremendous run nobody thought would occur. My hats off to him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2024, 11:52 AM

He is?????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2024, 11:55 AM

If he was a great coach, it would not have taken 14 years to accomplish this. If he is a great coach, then it's not wrong of us to expect similar results going forward. I'm not going to demand an Elite 8 trip every year, but I sure as heck will be mad about another streak of seasons like 16-15 (9th), 16-8 (5th), 17-16 (10th) that follow Brownell's previous Sweet 16 bid (and after which many proclaimed him to be a great coach).

Dusty May took FAU to Final Four in his 5th year as HC of the program, in his first NCAAT bid.

Don't worry about losing Brownell, though. Michigan filled their vacancy with that same Dusty May.

Truth be told, I'll be shocked if anyone makes Brownell an offer elsewhere even after this season.

OTOH, here's me hoping that we win on Saturday and make a Final Four (and beyond!). I would never root for Clemson to lose.

And--since it looks like he's going to be here awhile longer--I'll also be hoping that something has indeed finally after 14 long long years clicked in Brownell's head and he turns out to have figured out how to be a great HC and that this spate of success is not just some "blind squirrel finds a nut" aberration.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2024, 5:14 PM

Well, our first season was in 1912 and we've only had 1 other coach get us to the Elite 8. Maybe there is a little more going on here than meets the eye...

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2024, 11:55 AM

I will say this. When players execute it makes any coach look great. Brad has stepped his coaching up and the players have responded stepping their game up. I'm not a basketball fan but I am proud of this team and coach Brownell for what they have accomplished.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did Tommy Bowden have a great year in 2003, or was he a great coach?

Mar 29, 2024, 11:57 AM

I like Brad and I love the way he’s got this experienced and talented team playing smart and together, but it’s probably a good idea to string a couple of these seasons together before we call Brad, “a great coach”.

I'll give credit where credit is due. I've been most critical of BB

Mar 29, 2024, 12:05 PM

over coaching decisions made going down the stretch of close games. It's not been great overall. However, last night was probably the best coaching wise that I've ever seen him draw up in a game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Re: I'll give credit where credit is due. I've been most critical of BB

Mar 29, 2024, 12:30 PM

This 100%

Whhhhooooooooooossssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh ! ! ! ! ! . . . and

Mar 29, 2024, 12:07 PM

wrong board maroon !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Mar 29, 2024, 12:28 PM

That time out with 9 seconds on the shot clock and to score on the inbound saved his job.

I don’t owe him any apology, but dang he finds ways to save his job at the most crucial time

I admit to having hated on Brad, but he has coached his tail off this tourney

Mar 29, 2024, 12:39 PM

I will give credit where credit is due and eat the most delicious tasting crow I could ever imagine.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2024, 3:01 PM

Can I presume you include yourself in owing Coach Brownell an apology?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2023, 9:22 AM

A "great" coach who has never won more than one game in the ACCT but can make the Elite 8. Has 2 of the worst NIT losses imaginable. Someone needs to explain that to me.

Mar 29, 2024, 5:58 PM

Replies: 15
| visibility 901
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic