Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hill Watch...159 days!!!
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 651

Hill Watch...159 days!!!

Mar 25, 2024, 12:02 AM

ALL IN!!! GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hill Watch...159 days!!!

Outstanding! Thanks O.J.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Spring game in 12 days.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Let's go Tigers!***

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2024, 12:03 AM

GO TIGERS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2024, 12:10 AM

North Carolina Highway 159 is a 7.3 mile two-lane state highway that starts on the south end at US 220 Alt near Ulah and runs to the north end at US 64 Bus/NC 49 in Asheboro providing access to the North Carolina Zoological Park.

Joseph Jefferson Jackson, aka "Shoeless Joe" was an outfielder in MLB in the early 1900s most notably for the Chicago White Sox from 1915 to 1920. He was born in Pickens County SC, but grew up in West Greenville in the Brandon Mill community. He worked in the mill as a child to help the family and played on the mill baseball team. He played minor league ball with the Greenville Spinners as a teenager before signing with the Philadelphia Athletics in 1908, then with the Cleveland Indians in 1910 before his time with the White Sox. He has the 4th highest batting average in MLB history, but will always be remembered for the scandal of the team allegedly throwing the 1919 World Series even though he had a 0.375 batting average and 12 hits in the series. He is a prominent part of the movie Field of Dreams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2024, 6:33 AM

I still think both he and Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame.
If you can put all these cheating steroid guys in, you should definitely put Joe Jackson and Pete Rose in.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Mar 25, 2024, 6:50 AM

I tend to agree with you, Pig®!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2024, 12:18 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2024, 12:26 AM

Thanks, O.J.

GO TIGERS!!!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Mar 25, 2024, 12:27 AM

GO TIGERS!!!

Mar 25, 2024, 1:30 AM

All the way with O.J.

GO TIGERS

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

ALL IN!!!***

Mar 25, 2024, 1:57 AM

Mar 25, 2024, 3:22 AM

GO TIGERS!!!

159 - With 1:59 remaining, Charlie Bauman intercepted OSUs Schlichter

Mar 25, 2024, 5:07 AM

On December 29, 1978, Ohio State and Clemson were set to compete in the 1978 Gator Bowl. It marked the first meeting of the two football programs in history.

One program boasted a head coach who had achieved legendary status. The other program boasted a head coach who had just achieved head coach status for the first time in his life.

Ohio State was led by legendary Head Coach Woody Hayes. According to Wikipedia, Hayes had a storied career at OSU:

“As head coach of the Ohio State Buckeyes, Hayes led his teams to a 205–61–10 record (.761), including three consensus national championships (1954, 1957, and 1968), two other non-consensus national titles (1961 and 1970), 13 Big Ten conference championships, and eight Rose Bowl appearances. Hayes was a three-time winner of The College Football Coach of the Year Award, now known as the Paul "Bear" Bryant Award, and was "the subject of more varied and colorful anecdotal material than any other coach past or present, including fabled Knute Rockne", according to biographer Jerry Brondfield.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woody_Hayes

Clemson was led by Head Coach Danny Ford. Ford did not (yet) boast an impressive resume as head coach. That was not Ford’s fault, since he had never coached a single game as a head coach before. Ford was elevated from OL coach to Head Coach on December 10, after the 1978 regular season had ended.

The Game:

“Clemson was led by third team All-American QB Steve Fuller and a stout defense. ClemsonTigers.com describes the game scoring as follows:

Fuller engineered an 80-yard 15-play drive and finished it off with a four-yard run to give Clemson a 7-3 lead in the second period. Ohio State’s Art Schlichter, then a freshman, guided the Buckeyes to a touchdown drive with just 1:21 left in the half, but the extra point was blocked, making the score 9-7.

But, the Tigers drove down field behind some Fuller passes to the Ohio State 30 and Obed Ariri kicked a 47-yard field goal to put Clemson up 10-9 at the half.

Clemson scored the only points of the third period on a one-yard run by freshman Cliff Austin.

With 8:11 left and Clemson holding a 17-9 lead, Schlichter scored his second touchdown of the game to bring Ohio State to within two points. Ohio State went for the tie, but Jim Stuckey tackled Schlichter on a quarterback sweep to prevent the score and put Clemson up 17-15.

Ohio State got the ball back after a failed Clemson drive.”

https://clemsontigers.com/1978-gator-bowl-review-clemson-17-ohio-state-15-dec-29-1978-jacksonville-fl/

On the next play, Clemson clinches the victory – but, that’s when the melee broke out. Apparently, some coaches just don’t take losing like normal human beings (can you say “sore loser”). Also, according to ClemsonTigers.com:

“Faced with a third-and-five at the Clemson 24, second-team Tigers middle guard Charlie Bauman intercepted Schlichter when he dropped in coverage. It would be the only interception of Bauman’s four-year career and the only turnover of the night for the Ohio State offense.

On the return he was run out of bounds in front of the Ohio State bench. There was a scuffle that involved Ohio State head coach Hayes, and consecutive unsportsmanlike conduct penalties were called on Ohio State, giving Clemson excellent field position.”

Danny Ford – now a legend himself – later discussed this bizarre moment in his first game as head coach. According to David Hood on Tigernet, Coach Ford later described his interaction as a first-time head coach speaking with the head referee:

“When it came down to the end, I said what had happened. He said that one of their coaches hit one of your players.’ I said, ‘Well dang, I don’t even do that. What are you going to do?' He said that they were going to give them an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. I said, ‘I didn’t think that’s correct. I think you need to do more than that. He said that they had done all they were going to do. I was trying to show them that I was the head coach and I said, “Well Butch, I think I’m going to make history and pull our team off the field and cut the TVs off.’ He looked at me and said, ‘Son, do you want some advice?’ And I said, ‘Yes sir.’ He said, ‘If you don’t do something stupid, y’all are going to win the ballgame.’ I said, ‘yes, sir, Mr. Lambert. Carry on and let’s do it.’”

(Thank you, again, David Hood, for these excellent articles!)
https://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Danny-Ford-talks-1978-Gator-Bowl-punch-heard-world-12307

After that moment of clarity, Ford did send his team back on the field. Clemson ran out the clock to complete a 17-15 victory and an 11-1 season!

Woody Hayes did not survive the morning as Ohio State’s coach (apparently, punching an opposing player has a way of getting you fired quickly).

Two other items of note:
- Charlie Baughman later admitted he never felt the punch.
- Clemson and Ohio State would not meet again until 2013, and 2026, and 2019, and 2020.

The game-clinching play, the career-ended punch, and the ensuing melee can all be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEVJyf0ft3I

Soon afterward, Saturday Night Live’s Weekend Update managed to interview Woody Hayes at his home. (I had to turn my speakers up a bit, but it is definitely worth a watch):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaQL6JuTSy8

Clemson: Academic Excellence! Athletic Excellence!

Re: 159 - With 1:59 remaining, Charlie Bauman intercepted OSUs Schlichter

Mar 25, 2024, 6:35 AM

That was a great game even without the punch.
Go Tigers!!!

Mar 25, 2024, 6:58 AM [ in reply to 159 - With 1:59 remaining, Charlie Bauman intercepted OSUs Schlichter ]

I saw that interview live, on Saturday night.

Mar 25, 2024, 10:52 AM

Me too.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Mar 25, 2024, 7:02 AM [ in reply to 159 - With 1:59 remaining, Charlie Bauman intercepted OSUs Schlichter ]

I was 4 when that happened - so sad that I don’t remember!!

Mar 25, 2024, 8:53 AM

I'm sad to say that I was 16 and 2 years away from heading to Tigertown.

I always refer to the ending of that game as "The punch that a whole tv viewing

Mar 25, 2024, 8:49 AM [ in reply to 159 - With 1:59 remaining, Charlie Bauman intercepted OSUs Schlichter ]

audience saw, but two announcers missed."

:)

Re: I always refer to the ending of that game as "The punch that a whole tv viewing

Mar 25, 2024, 9:08 AM

During the replay, they stopped the tape in the middle of Woody's swing and say something like...I just don't see what started it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I always refer to the ending of that game as "The punch that a whole tv viewing

Mar 25, 2024, 9:11 AM

The man was mental...

Mar 25, 2024, 10:54 AM

Hayes also hit one of his players who was trying to stop him.

--Henry David Thoreau

Mar 25, 2024, 10:46 AM [ in reply to 159 - With 1:59 remaining, Charlie Bauman intercepted OSUs Schlichter ]

I will never forget this--thanks for sharing! Belushi was hilarious in the Woody Hayes skit. I'm sure there were a lot of unhappy Ohio St. fans when that aired.

--Henry David Thoreau

Mar 25, 2024, 5:08 AM

Go Tigers!!!!

159 - TE Lamont Hall Gained 159 Yards Receiving His Senior Season (1997)

Mar 25, 2024, 5:08 AM

Lamont Hall (1994-1997) played tight end at a time when Clemson did not throw often – whether to a tight end, receiver, or otherwise. None-the-less he put some strong receiving stats before moving on to a successful NFL career.

At Clemson:

According to ClemsonTigers.com, Hall achieved the following highlights during his time at Clemson:

In 1997: Starting tight end who has played in every game the last four years (47) and has played over 1200 plays from scrimmage, not to mention his contributions on special teams…played in the East/West Game in San Francisco and improved his stock with the NFL scouts during that time…winner of Joe Francis Leadership Award as outstanding leader of the 1997 Clemson team…had 17 catches for 159 yards, most catches by a Clemson tight end since 1986 when Jim Riggs caught 17

…outstanding blocker who led the Clemson team in knockdown blocks with 66

In 1996: Played in all 12 games and started in nine…made eight catches for 101 yards …second-team All-ACC, first Tiger tight end to make and all-star team in 12 years…sixth in receiving yardage and receptions…the only Clemson tight end with a catch in 1996

After Clemson:

Lamont Hall played one season for the Green Bay Packers in 1999. He then played for the New Orleans Saints between 2000 and 2005. Over the course of his NFL career he amassed the following stats according to Pr-Football-Reference.com:

- 19 Receptions for 127 Yards (6.7 Average)
- 2 Receiving Touchdowns

According to Wikipedia, Hall has invested his post-NFL career into the next generations:

“After finishing up in the NFL, Hall used his Clemson University teaching diploma, teaching Social Studies for many different grade levels. Hall currently teaches at Fort Mill Middle School in Fort Mill, South Carolina. He coaches at the school and has never won a championship.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamont_Hall

Kudos to you, Mr. Hall!!

Clemson: Academic Excellence! Athletic Excellence!

Re: 159 - TE Lamont Hall Gained 159 Yards Receiving His Senior Season (1997)

Mar 25, 2024, 7:03 AM

Lamont was a beast!!

Go Tigers!!!! What a great weekend!!!***

Mar 25, 2024, 5:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Slowly but Shirley!!! We're getting there!!

Mar 25, 2024, 6:01 AM

Go Tigers!!

Good morning TNet and GaTiger5!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good morning MfO!

Mar 25, 2024, 6:40 AM

How you feeling after the hoops game last night?

It was a long and busy weekend. I was tired but enjoyed every minute of it.

Mar 25, 2024, 7:22 AM

Great weekend to be a Clemson Tiger!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Without a doubt,

Mar 25, 2024, 7:26 AM

Here’s too many more weekends like that!

Mar 25, 2024, 6:08 AM

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Mar 25, 2024, 6:19 AM

Another day closer!

GO TIGERS!

I try to save a life a day, usually it is my own.

Mar 25, 2024, 6:27 AM

O. J. for President 2024! Go Tigers!!

Mar 25, 2024, 6:28 AM

A few showers possible today.
The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.
Go Tigers!!! Beat Georgia!!!
Go Tigers!!! Beat Arizona!!!

Go Tigers!***

Mar 25, 2024, 6:38 AM

Mar 25, 2024, 6:45 AM

Most Excellent!!!

Go Tigers!!!

Mar 25, 2024, 6:48 AM

The days are long but the weeks are short!

Go Tigers!

GO TIGERS!!!***

Mar 25, 2024, 7:07 AM

Go Tigers***

Mar 25, 2024, 7:56 AM

Thanks, O.J.!

Mar 25, 2024, 8:13 AM

All In!

GO TIGERS!!!

GO TIGERS!!!

Roar!

Mar 25, 2024, 8:47 AM

This is going to be our year!

Go, Tigers!

Bump

Mar 25, 2024, 4:16 PM

Bump

Replies: 45
| visibility 651
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic