Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To NLStanford, the Gamecock fan and USC graduate below...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 630

To NLStanford, the Gamecock fan and USC graduate below...

Sep 29, 2004, 6:26 PM

In your post below, you seem to be implying that USC is a better institution than Clemson just because of a group of friends that went to both schools.

First, let me preface by saying that I'm a GT graduate. I'm married to a Clemson graduate.

Did you take statistics in college? Are you going to use your small sample-size to justify your position that USC is a better education? Anyone knows that you can't judge a school based on 12 or so people's experience. Give me some macro-numbers that measure average scores, average starting salary, and other things that take into account the entire student population and not your X number of friends.

By the way, if everyone at USC graduates in 4 years, that tells me that it's not that hard. At GT, most are on the 5 or 6 year plan. My guess is that Clemson is similar, though I don't have any numbers to back that up.

I'm not slamming USC. But I sure wouldn't go on a board and say my school is better because my 6 friends liked it better and got better jobs than my other 6 friends that went somewhere else. Geez.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point***

Sep 29, 2004, 6:35 PM

0wn3d***

Sep 29, 2004, 6:49 PM

In nlstanford's defense and since he is not here to defend..

Sep 29, 2004, 7:15 PM

himself, he did say and I quote "I know that this small part does not make the whole, but just so you know, this is all I have on which to base my evaluation of both schools[.]" which not just implies but states that he is conceding the fact that statistics may prove him wrong. Which you are doing the same, you are making an implication that because it may take 5-6 years to graduate a particular school that the school is more difficult even though you state that you don't have any numbers to back that up. Pot meet Kettle.

Peace. Rogue

Your Character is what you do when no one is watching.

Wait a minute, Rogue...

Sep 29, 2004, 7:26 PM

I said I didn't have any numbers to back up the amount of time it takes at Clemson.

And I did see the caveats in Stanford's post. My point is that, with or without caveats, it's not good policy to go out on a message board and try to opine about 2 schools because of a couple of drinkin' buddies' experiences. The fact is that he/she could have done more research about the 2 schools and avoid making a silly post like that. The statement, "this is all I have to base my evaluation" is BS.

Re: Wait a minute, Rogue...

Sep 29, 2004, 7:35 PM

I don't disagree. Plus it had little if anything to do with the subject of the thread. Anecdotal evidence is often BS I agree, but right or wrong he did state what he was basing his evaluation on.

Besides, my understanding is that many Engineering and Architectural schools have gone to a 5-year program not just the most difficult ones. They are difficult majors period and both CU and GT are excellent programs. From my understanding, most other majors still use a 4-year program. So there may be reasons other than the difficulty of the school why some have higher graduation rates after 4 years and others require 5 or more.

To me its not a big deal really. ;)

here is the answer

Sep 29, 2004, 7:56 PM

http://www.campusdirt.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=RS.ComparisonReportCard&guid=2db990b9-2aa7-4d72-b82f-f7ad925bdb5e
***you might have to sign up to view the site, but its free and they dont screw you with junk mail, you can view every college in the country with everything they have to offer from greek life to parking. this link is comparing the two, clemson has its ups and downs, along with usc. i think the only thing they are beating us on is better food with 5 stars compaired to our 4, and social life with 4 stars to our 3. but we got them in professors, curicculim, greek life, clubs, and computer tech. it also list percents of enrollment and alot of other useful facts***

Greek life?!?!? Seriously. Boy things have change since I

Sep 29, 2004, 7:59 PM

was in school.

I went to Tech in the 80's...

Sep 29, 2004, 8:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Wait a minute, Rogue... ]

and each Engineering school would show you what you needed to take to get out in 4 years. It was unbearably hard, and a source of many a joke.

I was on the 5 and 1/2 year plan, as was most of the campus at that time. I'm not sure how it is now. I'm not sure if they've gone to standard 5-year programs or if they're still saying "yea, you can study 20 hours a day and get out in 4":-D.

Liberal Arts and Engineering are not easy to compare, because the focus is so different. I'm sure USC has lots of really good degrees, as does Clemson, GT...and even Georgia has 1 or 2 halfway decent degrees.:-D

disclamer

Sep 29, 2004, 8:07 PM

i dont know how true this is, its just something i found on the internet, sounds accurate enough, if you go to the site, you can see where they have quotes from students on every subject talking about professors, greek life, etc. they are both fine universitys, i just chose to move from columbia where i was raised and spend my parents money in gods counrty. thank god im a tiger boy.

Crickets...***

Sep 29, 2004, 8:10 PM

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

If a UGA grad stood up and slammed your school...

Sep 30, 2004, 8:56 AM

Would you sit there and take it? I doubt it. Tell you what, YOU research all of this for me and tell me what you find, OK? I can only speak from MY experience, you from yours.

And while you're loooking up all the statistics of the two schools, let's ponder a little quote from Benjamin Disraeli: "There are three types of lies: lies, ###### lies, and statistics."

Happy searching.

Would I take it? If they did it on their own board, yes...

Sep 30, 2004, 1:12 PM

I would take it and not respond because I'm mature enough to not sweat stuff like that. Do you really care what a Clemson fan on tigernet thinks of USC? If I felt the need to respond to everything that a Dawg thinks about Tech, I'd never get any work done.

I tell ya what I wouldn't do...I wouldn't do what you did..."my 4 golf buddies got good jobs, so USC must be the place"...Geez, Louise.

Replies: 12
| visibility 630
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic