Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Fresh Fruits and Vegetables

Jul 10, 2021, 12:56 PM

I'm thankful for all of the wonderful things that occur during the year but it's hard to beat those months when I can get fresh Silver Queen corn, tomatoes grown on a mineral soil, strawberries, sweet cherries and peaches. I don't have a garden anymore but all of the frozen items just don't have the flavor of fresh vegetables from a garden.

Ah, those speckled butter beans. Did you ever dig out some of those immature potatoes no larger than a golf ball and cook them with some string beans? Take several small squash, wash them good, cut them in half length wise, add a generous slice of extra sharp cheddar cheese and a little salt and pepper. Place in the oven and grill until the cheese has melted. It will take a little more effort and time but don't forget about that eggplant casserole.

Sometimes we purchase an item and think we have finally picked out a really good cantelope or watermelon. We get home and can hardly wait until we get home to check out our purchase. What a disappointment, that 'lope smelled so good but it has no flavor what so ever. We had a watermelon when we were at Lake Norman. It was sweet but I've never had watermelon that was hard. There was very little juice in the melon.

Those sweet cherries have been in the stores for about a month now. My daughter and I have eaten about two pounds each week. The best ones seem to come from Washington state. The tart cherries are grown primarily in Michigan. When ripe, the trees are defoliated and all one can see is a solid red orchard.
And where there is a tart cherry orchard, there will be fresh cherry pies for sale. I haven't found a bad one yet.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fresh Fruits and Vegetables

Jul 10, 2021, 1:27 PM

Dang Joe, you're making me hungry for some
veggies. Now I need to go to Food Lion
(replaced BiLo) and get some "fresh" corn
on the cob and sweet potatoes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2021, 5:49 PM

Me too!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Fooled me. Thought this was about Gamecock fanbase.***

Jul 10, 2021, 1:42 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2021, 2:36 PM

'Bout 3 weeks ago, I got 3 bushels of corn.... shucked it and cut it off the cob - then made stewed corn with the kernels, some bacon grease, flour, salt and pepper...... mighty good.

Jul 10, 2021, 2:43 PM

It is a great time to live in the UpState

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the tug abides

Jul 10, 2021, 4:07 PM

That is also true the further south you live, the better the summer vegetables, and melons are!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2021, 2:44 PM

Joe you are naming all my favorites. I love that Silver Queen corn and speckled butter beans. Don't forget white half runner beans and field peas, I never see those in stores.

Jul 10, 2021, 3:04 PM

Joe, something I've found is that the seedless watermelons are the ones that are hard, and the seeded watermelon are the ones that you were use to eating in the yester years. I've had some really sweet Top Gun, and crimson sweets this year, and my wife will cut another one tonight!!! All the cantalopes we've had this, and last year really sucked!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2021, 3:36 PM

Dang I’m hungry now. Grilling some Silver Queen on the grill tonight with some fresh green beans and a nice ribeye. Fresh fruits and veggies are the best no doubt.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2021, 4:27 PM

I don't know the name that's put on it, but the corn with the white and yellow kernels mixed in on the same cob, to me that is the best corn on the cob I've eaten grilled, or just boiled on the stove, seriously!!!

Jul 10, 2021, 3:51 PM

You had me Joe, right up until eggplant. ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Jul 10, 2021, 4:17 PM

Pretty cool about the solid red orchard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2021, 4:20 PM

I can remember watching tv and snapping pole beans for dinner the next day. Thanks for your memories.

Jul 10, 2021, 4:55 PM

Yep, shelling butter beans, and peas, bring back some good child memories when my family lived in Summerton SC. My Mom, my Aunt, and older sisters would pick a couple of bushels of bean and peas from those you pick fields back then. The deal to get all us kids to help shell, and doing a good job at it was, when we finished with all the shelling, my Mon, and my Aunt would take all the kids down to Santee on Saturday and Sunday right there when they were building the I-95 bridge across the lake. That was a great reward for just shelling beans, and peas bc, me and my brother, and my two cousins that were the same age as us, we would paddle a truck tube with our fishing gear out to those big Crane Barges, and we would slaughter the crappy using May fly's, and Catawba worms with a cane poll with just the line and hook, no corks. Awesome memories that last forever, and they are still very clear in my mind!!!

Jul 10, 2021, 6:24 PM

What I wouldn't give to go back to that front porch and snap beans and field peas with my aunts. They're long gone but my memories aren't...yet.

Jul 10, 2021, 5:21 PM

I always appreciate your observations and remembrances Joe. Please continue to poast frequently sir.

Class of '87

Jul 10, 2021, 5:40 PM

Go to a roadside market if you want fresh vegetables. Grocery usually are not fresh off the vine. How many of you have had "pea thumb" from shelling peas ? Bad for a couple of days.

Jul 10, 2021, 7:12 PM

Yep, right under the edge of thumb nail!!!:(

Fresh corn

Jul 10, 2021, 6:17 PM

nothing like fresh corn. Years ago, I got some fresh corn, cut it off the cob and cooked it in a little butter. My wife asked me how much sugar I put into it. I told her no sugar, just low fructose corn syrup...she didn't get it...well, she just ignored it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

I am more into gourds myself

Jul 10, 2021, 7:08 PM

I have grown several that easily would have won the state fair.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am more into gourds myself

Jul 10, 2021, 7:17 PM

I agree. I’ve made a small business on Etsy selling dried gourds in various shapes. My best seller is a small pipe-shaped bat. They are very popular with the teens for some reason.

Jul 10, 2021, 7:21 PM

Maybe making a glorified BONG for burning da weed;)

Jul 10, 2021, 7:24 PM

I’m sorry, I am not familiar with this term. I make bird feeders sir!!!

Jul 10, 2021, 7:28 PM

Sure you do, but you don't put bird feed in them, now tell the truth, do you??? ;)

Jul 10, 2021, 7:30 PM

I’ll have to let one of JK’s scoks answer that qwestion!!! If you’re interested in one of my feeders, T-male me!!!!!

Jul 10, 2021, 7:18 PM [ in reply to I am more into gourds myself ]

Winning a prize at the state isn't saying much Tigerbalm. I mean you're talking about a place where putting lipstick on a pig is encouraged ;) ;) ;);) ;)

Jul 10, 2021, 7:21 PM

The older I get though the less I care about the lipstick.

Jul 10, 2021, 7:45 PM

It is known the best cantaloupe comes from Barnwell County. It has to due with soil type and soil pH.

Jul 10, 2021, 9:06 PM

There is nothing like a perfect set of ripe melons on a hot summer day.

I couldn’t wait for my 1st tomatoes to

Jul 10, 2021, 9:40 PM

ripen - now I have so many I am keeping neighbors supplied- if you make it down to Greenwood I can fix you up for awhile

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic