Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gotta Nip the Non-CU Vs CU Alum Crap in the Bud now
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

Gotta Nip the Non-CU Vs CU Alum Crap in the Bud now

Aug 25, 2011, 9:39 AM

Just stop it. We all wake up and put our pants on the same way. You have to have the ability to LOOK DOWN upon people if you are shaking a sheepskin in someone's face and basically saying "Look at me, I am a Clemson Alum"......Many of the non-alums that have pumped millions of dollars into the University for decades have created a wonderful higher learning environment for the Alums to enjoy.........Clemson enjoys a symbiosis between the Alums and non-alums which makes this place special..

A Clemson that relys just on the Alums is.........Boston College and an average attendace of 35,000.....If that what the Alums are suggesting.

To the Non-Alums. Those CU Graduates go around the world spreading our great name and hopefully maikng the world a better place. Appreciate them.

This argument reminds me a little of the hypocrisy we see in Christianity as to how we "Prioritize: Sins.... It is like: "He stole something and I just lied so I must be a better person becasue my sin wasn't as bad." All Sins are equal......

Chill the heck out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

True being an alumni is a tie to the school

Aug 25, 2011, 9:50 AM

it is a loyalty to "Clemson" for an education that is respected by employers as something special. It is also a tie to the athletic teams that, as a student, you were so close to because you were in class with the athletes and wanted them to do well to represent the school you were/are attending.

Does that make an alumni a "bigger" fan? I don't think so. What it does is, it makes us part feel like a bigger part of the tradition by being part of Clemson!!

Samething can be said for this question: Are IPTAY Members bigger fans? Again I don't think so! I think they have the means financially to donate to the school where others don't. Not a bigger fan, but one that can contribute to the scholarships for the athletes "WE" all pull for.

Clemson Fans are just that Clemson Fans. Are any fans bigger fans than others? I don't think you can quantify how big of a fan someone is!!

A BIG suggestion let's all just be fans. While a lot of us question the direction of Clemson Athletics can we all at least until proven otherwise be optimistic whether it be Cautiously, or full blown, which is how I am by the way, that "OUR" Tigers will be very good this year and give us plenty to be proud of!!

End of Sermon

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Well said. As an alum I don't think I'm better than other

Aug 25, 2011, 2:04 PM

fans, nor do I think I'm a bigger fan, but I do have skin in the game, I do feel I have more at stake, that I have a voice and concern bigger than theirs, and I know I have a deeper, richer connection that no non-alum, or former CU student can ever understand!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All graduates or alums don't do that.....

Aug 25, 2011, 9:55 AM

just like all Christians don't "prioritize sins" as you say.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

No, But a lot more do than you or I think***

Aug 25, 2011, 10:46 AM

Re: Gotta Nip the Non-CU Vs CU Alum Crap in the Bud now

Aug 25, 2011, 10:07 AM

Gotta agree with the OP, however, I want to add this.

Being an alum is special to ME as my blood runs ORANGE and even in the darkest times, and I'm complaining like heck, I still love my TIGERS.

If I had never attended CLEMSON, then I'm not certain that I could feel this way. It does NOT change my opinion of any other CLEMSON fan - just ME. I am major proud and grateful to have attended this fine institution. In no way does that make me better/worse than anyone else - and I look at ALL CLEMSON fans the same way. I meet people all the time here in Bama (yeh - way over here) that are CLEMSON fans and they have no connections to our fine school at all. I admire that.

But no - we don't need to try and categorize any of our fans.

Well Said.....***

Aug 25, 2011, 10:47 AM

Ok but

Aug 25, 2011, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Gotta Nip the Non-CU Vs CU Alum Crap in the Bud now ]

I spent 4 years at Clemson and I love the place. I admire those that did not get the same great experience I did but still are loyal to Clemson in any way. They "get it" without having been a student. It is a special place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2011, 3:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Gotta Nip the Non-CU Vs CU Alum Crap in the Bud now ]

Very well said...

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2011, 10:10 AM

Whether you like it or not the relationship an alum has to Clemson is different (and I would argue deeper) than someone who loved and supported the teams and did not attend the school.

Does this mean there is a difference on game days? Not really, but alums are going to view Clemson differently than Fans.

Aug 25, 2011, 10:23 AM

I agree. Anyone and everyone should be welcome to pull for the Tigers on the field. A fan is a fan ...

However, I think the differences begin to surface when the issues begin to encompass academics and athletics.

Fans who are not connected with or committed to the school as graduates tend to minimize academic concerns when they appear to be at odds with success on the field.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2011, 10:33 AM

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only thing I can add to that is, non-alums only care about

Aug 25, 2011, 10:21 AM

the athletics perspective. They want decisions made at a win at all costs, to heck with academics mentality. That's not Clemson. Clemson, first and foremost, is an academic institution. Decisions must be made with that in mind. Having top notch athletics is great, but top notch academics must be the first priority.

Re: Only thing I can add to that is, non-alums only care about

Aug 25, 2011, 10:34 AM

BINGO AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

So What You Are Saying is................

Aug 25, 2011, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Only thing I can add to that is, non-alums only care about ]

The the Alums that are writing huge checks and are threating to withhold those funds if the programs loses, or they don't hire/fire the coach is doing it for academics?

In ways yes. When football suffers, the entire school ......

Aug 25, 2011, 2:12 PM

suffers. Had it not been for the '91 National Championship, Clemson would not be the school it is today. Clemson was already a very good school both athletically & academically, but winning that championship changed everything. Admissions applications skyrocketed, which led to higher academic standards. As we continued to win throughout the 80s, that growing academic and public perception increased. Barker's Top 20 obsession would be a fantasy had it not been for the '91 championship. Anyone that doesn't believe and understand that isn't old enough to have seen Clemson before, during, and after '81. And doesn't understand the connection between academics, research, and athletics.

Go look at College of Charleston. Their avg. SAT scores and student selectiveness jumped after they were in the NCAA basketball tournament back in the 90s. Before that, most people not from the South, and primarily SC, had no idea there even was a CofC.

Oops. Obviously I meant '81. duh!!***

Aug 25, 2011, 7:54 PM

True, but as an alum, I look at schools with FAR better

Aug 25, 2011, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Only thing I can add to that is, non-alums only care about ]

academic AND athletic reputations (Texas, UNC, Michigan, etc.) and know from that, and Clemson's own past, that the two are symbiotic and we can have BOTH. Athletics are most schools identity and they help academics and research funding far far more than people realize. I have never seen anyone promote winning at any cost at Clemson, nor have I ever seen an alum say academics do not come first. The problem is, Barker and our current BOT & Admin think only about academics when they think of "Clemson excellence". They don't get the big picture. They think great athletics HARM a school's public reputation, especially among the academic elite that folks like Barker are trying to impress.

You didn't go to Clemson.***

Aug 25, 2011, 2:26 PM

You and Stanley are going to look like fools when I show you

Aug 25, 2011, 7:55 PM

my ring at a game this fall. Keep thinking you know who I am.

I'm sorry, but did you and I agree to meet at a game?

Aug 26, 2011, 5:25 PM

You didn't go to Clemson. You're a goof.

Aug 25, 2011, 10:25 AM

You are absolutely right. Save the hostility for our opponents, not each other. A Clemson fan is a Clemson fan. I have raised 2 of them who did not attend CU, but both still have orange blood in their veins.

Aug 25, 2011, 11:09 AM

We have a lot of things to be proud of as Clemson grads but alumni giving isn't one of them. We rank far below a lot of our competitors in this important catagory. If you are a Clemson grad OR fan, support the university in some way. There isn't a one of you who can't come up with twenty five bucks a year. Many of you waste that much looking for gamecock reports every day. You are not the true fan if this is you. Wear orange every day. I do.

If you want an example where non-alums kill gameday

Aug 25, 2011, 10:48 AM

Look down I-85 to UGA. Its the only place I've been to where their fans tear up their own campus. Living in Atlanta and working all over Georgia the one thing you quickly find is the most obnoxious UGA fans are the ones that didn't go to school there.

What's Your Point?

Aug 25, 2011, 11:19 AM

Clemson and/or UGA would be better off if non-alums were not allowed on campus for games? I'm sure Georgia gladly takes all the money from the people who donate and show up. Clemson has never asked for my diploma when I send IPTAY the $4000.00 I send them every year either. Good Grief.

Nope, you need the balance

Aug 25, 2011, 11:43 AM

BC (and Duke) are places where the balance is tipped too far towards Alumni only.

UGA is a place where the balance is tipped too far towards "fans" only and no other tie to the school.

Everybody's dollar is green.

I highly doubt non alums have pumped money into academics

Aug 25, 2011, 11:21 AM

sports money and academic money is completely separate. I'm assuming 99.9999 percent is given to IPTAY

Re: I'm not an alum an I've given a lot of money to the

Aug 25, 2011, 12:30 PM

Academic fund. In fact I think there are a lot of alums who don't give to the Academic fund also.

Well said, but all a Christian is, is a Sinner saved by

Aug 25, 2011, 11:59 AM

grace and made righteous BY GOD. No one can say their sin isn't as bad as the next as sin is sin in God's eyes. Only Christ can make a sinner righteous and change his heart and make him a new creature.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well said, but all a Christian is, is a Sinner saved by

Aug 25, 2011, 2:01 PM

He needs to get to work on a few christians who I know very well!!!

We'd have 40,000 people in DV

Aug 25, 2011, 12:17 PM

instead of 80,000 if it weren't for Clemson's non-graduate fans.

A degree is a nothing more than a piece of paper.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL....it's a little more than that.***

Aug 25, 2011, 1:51 PM

Re: We'd have 40,000 people in DV

Aug 26, 2011, 3:25 AM [ in reply to We'd have 40,000 people in DV ]

HORSEhockey...it stands for HOURS/MONTHS/YEARS of HARD WORK!!!

Tell that to the State Board of Licensing for Architecture, Engineering, Medicine, Teaching...ON an ON.

I just shake my head at a comment like that.

It was those long hours of self giving, that contributed to the bonding you feel toward Clemson, among other things.

Re: We'd have 40,000 people in DV

Aug 26, 2011, 3:38 AM [ in reply to We'd have 40,000 people in DV ]

Tell that to an Alum
just stepping off the stage, with
their little "piece of paper"...

Aug 25, 2011, 1:26 PM

If you didn't attend Clemson AND/OR you don't contribute money to the school above tickets, parking and concessions, then you're a Wal-Mart fan.

There's nothing wrong with being a Wal-Mart fan, but don't stick your nose into discussions concerning the academic and administrative operations.

You haven't earned or paid for that right.

Good grief Charlie Brown...Fans are Fans, and some grads***

Aug 25, 2011, 1:47 PM

go TIGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good grief Charlie Brown...Fans are Fans, and some grads***

Aug 25, 2011, 1:53 PM

Just because folks like to root for a certain team does not mean their opinion should be valued when the conversation turns from sports to the business of educating and developing students.

Clemson is a school first and foremost.

Sports fans are the remora/parasite and not the shark/host.

Wow!!! What an B.S. thought process....

Aug 25, 2011, 5:19 PM

I am a non-alumni, but my father was. I am currently raising a son and contributing to a 504 plan so I can send him to Clemson. So yes I am concerned with the academics and administrative decisions being made there.

For you to question anyone elses motives or insist that you know their "situation" and how they feel about Clemson, is absurd.

Aug 26, 2011, 12:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Gotta Nip the Non-CU Vs CU Alum Crap in the Bud now ]

that is one mind-numbingly ignorant statement my friend.

Aug 26, 2011, 8:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Gotta Nip the Non-CU Vs CU Alum Crap in the Bud now ]

I didn't vote for Obama, but I still expect my country to be run a certain way and expect my voice to be heard. Hopefully, everyone that pulls for Clemson wants us to be the best at everything we do. That should be everyone's goal in life also. If being undefeated in every game is not a goal, then we need to quit playing the sport. Just because a person doesn't graduate from Clemson does NOT mean they aren't a fan of the Tigers. Maybe, if you have left any Clemson game early, you are NOT a true Tiger fan. Just saying!

look down on is what a lot of you guys do

Aug 25, 2011, 1:50 PM

related to other things. (like non-Americans)

LOL! You mean like illegal aliens sucking states & counties

Aug 25, 2011, 2:16 PM

dry that are here ILLEGALLY and should be booted out on their arses? Even many legal Hispanic immigrants think the illegals should be booted and not get freebies. We have an immigration policy this administration is ignoring. They are suing states that are simply trying to enforce the federal legislation (i.e. enforcing the law) because those states are going broke thanks to illegal immigrants.

agreed. I know many non alums that are as die hard tiger....

Aug 25, 2011, 2:16 PM

fans as anyone else. Clemson isn't exactly cheap and only getting harder to get accepted into every year. I for one am happy to have any TRUE tiger fans of any kind, including the ones who couldn't afford to attend but still bleed orange.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: agreed. I know many non alums that are as die hard tiger....

Aug 25, 2011, 2:58 PM

Every school needs Wal-Mart fans, the more the merrier.

But, when it comes to giving input on President Barker, the AD, the coaches, the curriculum, the landscaping, whatever; keep your opinion to yourself.

Opinions from non-alumni on the how's and why's of the University itself are neither needed nor wanted.

Just like a Democrat.............

Aug 25, 2011, 3:42 PM

We will take your money, but shut up and we will spend it. Basically, know your role and shut your mouth............

Oh yeah, keep sending the checks.

Re: Just like a Democrat.............

Aug 25, 2011, 6:41 PM

The difference being someone who works their butt-off and has a vested interest in their alma mater and someone who just likes to go to watch sports and drink with friends.

What can't you do both?***

Aug 26, 2011, 12:54 AM

That's illegal in California***

Aug 26, 2011, 1:15 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's Barker to a T.***

Aug 25, 2011, 7:57 PM [ in reply to Just like a Democrat............. ]

Finally!! Someone who gets it......

Aug 25, 2011, 5:25 PM [ in reply to agreed. I know many non alums that are as die hard tiger.... ]

Not everyone, for one reason or another, is able to attend college period. So if thats the case but they came from a long line of CU grads and supporters, then of course they are going to be Clemson fans.

I used to take pride in the fact that the Clemson family was open to everyone, but this topic today is showing the true colors of some people on this board. And those colors are NOT BURNT ORANGE AND NORTHWEST PURPLE!!!

He's talking more about folks with no real connection to CU

Aug 25, 2011, 7:59 PM

other than simply being a fan, but think they have the same connection to Clemson as an alum or someone from a family with close ties.

Aug 25, 2011, 5:02 PM

you stated it better then i ever could.i chose the military,as my father had,and his.well,you know the story.but,i know that there is no bigger fan of clemson than me.yes, i got some college while in the military,but not what i wanted which was clemson.i grew up (as well a military brat can) in this area,my mother from piedmont,my dad from hendersonville(they met while he was stationed at donaldson afb).still,serving my country and pulling for clemson is to me the best of both worlds.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very True..... BUT

Aug 25, 2011, 5:21 PM

Once my pants are on, I make Gold Records.

This is some pathetic (longgg ranttt)

Aug 25, 2011, 7:35 PM

seperation of Non-Alums and Alumnis here..

First off, I am a current UGA student but my blood runs orange.

I came to UGA for in state tuition and MY degree, as much as I would have had loved to attend school at Clemson, it simply would not have been in any interest towards my degree.

If I decide to finish my degree here in Athens, UGA will still mean nothing more to me than a place of education where I got my degree.

..BUT, when I visit Clemson every Fall and other stops throughout the year. It's more to me than the University, it's the atmosphere, the Southern hospitality, the people etc etc.

Clemson, yes, is a University first, but it is BEYOND the University that makes it special.

Starting from the very foundation of WHY Clemson was BORN, for the farmers and hard working men that weren't white collar fellers or into politics.

Coupled with a rich Military heritage brought honor but most of all, loyalty to Clemson.

I have yet to step one foot into a classroom at Clemson, but I swear on my grave that I'm just as loyal and passionate for Clemson as any of you nose-sticking Alumni.

I was born in the great Palmetto State and that's where my passion resides.

When Clemson beats NC State, that's a win for South Carolina over NC to me.

With Florida State..

Georgia Tech... etc

I love the state of South Carolina with everything in me, and I wouldn't pick a better school to represent it for me than the Clemson Tigers.

I may never get to walk down to the Esso or the TTT after class for a cold brew or a quick cruise to Mac's for a hamburger and shakes after a long day, but I can still go there every Saturday in the Fall and every day in between to see the beauty and feel the traditions that make Clemson so special.

When it comes to administrative decisions, maybe I should have no say to it until I've graduated and start donating, but that doesn't mean Louis_Cypher has to come off as a huge ****.

GO TIGERS!

Re: Gotta Nip the Non-CU Vs CU Alum Crap in the Bud now***

Aug 26, 2011, 12:51 AM

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic