Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My e-mail about the "loser" child in Clemson clothes...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

My e-mail about the "loser" child in Clemson clothes...

Oct 28, 2005, 9:42 AM

Good morning, Mike:

Before I react, I figured I'd ask you (a) if it was true and (2) if you could explain it.

I received an e-mail from a friend who lives in Charlotte who was, shall we say, immensely upset with something he said took place in your show last night. According to him, in some sort of setup closing for the show, you were handing out candy to children for Halloween.

In his words..."Mike looked at each one of them and asked them what they were etc but when the little girl came up in a Clemson outfit the first thing he did was laugh out loud and said "you must be a loser, you have on Clemson clothes."

So, I guess the first question is: Did you really call a 6-year-old child a loser? If so would you care to defend calling a young child a loser in any circumstance?

We Clemson folks are used to good-natured joshing, especially from folks who have to make fun of us to salve the wounds to their pride after we've kicked their butts. Living among the mountains and tractors gives us a thick skin, and we're good enough to dish it out as well as take it.

However, we also have a standing slogan among the Tiger Family: We're Clemson; we're better than that. And we certainly know that taunting a child because of her choice of Halloween costume clearly falls outside the boundaries of excusable decorum.

I note on your Web page that you said "God is where it all starts for me." Do you think the Almighty is especially happy you chose to use a young girl as the basis for a hurtful, cheap laugh? There is not, never has been, nor ever will be an accepted reason for calling a child a loser.

If this isn't what happened, please accept my apologies for bothering you. However, if this is an accurate recounting of your show, it is you that should be apologizing...not for whatever misguided opinion you may have about our school, but for such an unwarranted, pernicious remark to a young fan.

Thanks for your time,

Chick Jacobs

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Oct 28, 2005, 9:45 AM

There is no cause for calling a child a loser.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice work Rev....

Oct 28, 2005, 9:50 AM

In the words of Taggart....."you use your tongue purtier than a $20 #####."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huzzah!***

Oct 28, 2005, 9:53 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My e-mail about the "loser" child in Clemson clothes...

Oct 28, 2005, 9:58 AM

Amen!! Rev. If Mike said this he owes the entire Clemson Family an apology. If he needs to use kids to get a laugh he needs to give up his show and come down and drive one of our John Deere Tractors or better still plow one of our mules then he can call the mule a looser like he is!

pawsum
Gary Cooper

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree

Oct 28, 2005, 10:00 AM

He does not owe me, or you, and apology.
He only needs to apologize to the child (and her family by proxy).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. You guys just want to pile on a gamecock.

Oct 28, 2005, 10:02 AM

It was a joke. Unless you were there, ####.

Not exactly what I was trying to say

Oct 28, 2005, 10:05 AM

There is no excuse for calling the kid (or indeed any kid of that age) a loser.
He owes her an apology.
But he does not owe me or you or anyone else one. (Though I'd say he owes the family one as well)

All of that to say this is not a case of wounded honour and sharpening the pitchfork to attack the man. Its merely a case where a bunch of folks are seeing this and saying "that ain't right", and letting him know a line had been crossed.

Keep us informed on his response***

Oct 28, 2005, 9:59 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd agree with that...

Oct 28, 2005, 9:59 AM

I don't care if he apologizes to the Clemson Fmaily...just to that little girl.

Clemson folks take care of our own...and hopefully anyone who's not in a position to take care of themselves.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are 6 yr olds that get beaten and starved everyday.

Oct 28, 2005, 10:03 AM

Lighten up. Like i said, unless you were there, ####.

So waht you are saying is its OK

Oct 28, 2005, 10:07 AM

Its OK to be rude to a child as long as somewhere esle there is something else worse going on?

And BTW, I think the fact that he televised this in effect does put us there. He chose to make it public.

This isn't a withchunt. But its not right to call a kid a loser.

So, their misery means it's OK to abuse others?

Oct 28, 2005, 10:08 AM [ in reply to There are 6 yr olds that get beaten and starved everyday. ]

People beat and poison dogs every day. So I should just ignore my neighbor whipping his puppy?

Women are raped and murdered every day. So I should just pass by if one cries out for help?

People die in car wrecks every day. So I should cruise on by a vehicle that has crashed in the ditch?

Thankfully, I'm lost on that line of reasoning.

Oct 28, 2005, 10:00 AM

Just curious. You don't think there is a chance the little girl was an actress and was aware of the "act"?

I didn't see it by the way.

There's always that possiblity...

Oct 28, 2005, 10:03 AM

...and the possibility that her family works at the station and she knows it's all pretend.

But I'm still waiting for a justification to calling a 6-year-old a loser under any circumstance.

I can't see it.

Re: There's always that possiblity...

Oct 28, 2005, 10:15 AM

If she and her parents were aware it was an act then it's not an issue in my opinion. Child actors are obviously subjected to much worse in film/tv scripts daily.

But to each his own:)

Oct 28, 2005, 10:20 AM

I have a 4-year-old daughter and I wouldn't allow her to hear anyone call anyone a loser. Name-calling isn't something you want to teach a youngster that age even for someone's idea of "entertainment".

Oct 28, 2005, 10:25 AM

Nor would I allow that if it were my daughter or if I were a hollywood exec.

But I can't dictate what someone else chooses to subject their children to if it's acceptable to them and lawful.

Oct 28, 2005, 10:39 AM

AEWSOME!!

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic