Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Next Game: Clemson at South Carolina
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

The Next Game: Clemson at South Carolina

Dec 28, 2008, 8:43 AM

For the folks who will be on the road to Jacksonville on Tuesday...yell a little louder for me!

The Game: Clemson (12-0, No. 20, No. 5 RPI) at South Carolina (9-1, No. 152 RPI)

When: Tuesday, 7 p.m., at the Colonial Center

Is it on TV? Fox South, if you get that. If not, at least there should be a good NCIS coming on.

NCIS? Are you expecting a murder? I really shouldn't, I know. But after throttling Miami last week, there's no reason to think Clemson can't handle the Chickens.

But...but...UCS is 9-1, right? Yes, and they are averaging 81.5 points per game, about the same as Clemson. They also allow only 61 points per game, just like Clemson.

A diet of cakes and pies

But it isn't what they scored. It's who they scored them against. While the Tigers were picking up impressive road wins against Illinois, Miami and Temple, UCS proved their mettle with 1, count 'em, ONE road win ... at 2-7 Princeton. The Chickens have played 2 teams with winning records, and lost to half of them. That was the College of Charleston, led by former UCS star Bobby Cremmins. That's also the same CoC that lost to Temple (see decent Clemson wins) and barely beat winless Winthrop.

Bottom of the barrel

The Chickens have been playing a pre-SEC schedule that would have made "Little Debbie" Tanner proud. Lots of belly-busting cakes and pies to produce some eye popping totals (did I mention that 4 of USC's opponents are a combined 1-40 thusfar? How about one of them actually lost to North Florida?)

You get the picture...USC has played one foe that might be considered decent, and they came up short. They've been winning on athletic superiority.

So, the Chickens are really a bad team? Nope, in fact, they've got some decent players. It's just impossible to tell how good they are when the biggest win came against a team that lost by 30 to Alabama Birmingham.

I am USC's Ironman...

So, let's start with what we know: USC has a solid, if small, player in Devan "Robert" Downey. The junior has hit double figures in every game (recently 23 against always-tough NC-Central) hits about 40 percent from 3-point land and grabs 3 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 steals per game. He's a lot of fun to watch and a pain to defend. Think of him as Jack McClinton after the Mafia kneecapped him.

Helping on the scoring end is 6-7 center/forward Mike "Parade Of" Holmes. He might be a solid challenge for Trevor Booker, averaging 13 ppg, 9 boards and 2 blocks per game. He's improved over last year and poses a legitimate threat down low.

Where's Jughead?

An improving player down low is Dominique Archie (11 ppg, 7 reb). After a slow start, he's had breakout games against brokeback opponents. That double-double against Winthrop will be one to remember.

Rounding out the main players are Zam Fredrick II (most of y'all are too young to remember ZF 1 ...think of it as the difference between "Jaws" and "Jaws 3-D"). Zam's scoring 15 ppg and 4 boards. He's also hit 1 of his last 10 3-pointers.

An intriguing addition is the return of Brandis Raley-Ross (7 ppg, 3 reb). He was out for a month with a knee injury and just getting back into shape. Good thing USC was able to fend off the Titans on their schedule while he recovered.

The Chickens like to play up-tempo, and their assist/turnover ratio is about 1-1. They play pressure defense, attacking the ball rather than waiting on their opponent to miss. This leads to some fouling, so a good night at the line is imperative for the Tigers.

Separated at birth?

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention first-year coach Darrin "Willard" Horn. His style of play is very similar to OP's, a lot of pressure and up-tempo offense with 3 guards on the floor. While he's tried without success to tweak the nose of Clemson fans, after Dennis Odom, it's nice to see someone with a little emotion on the sidelines.

How should Clemson respond? We'll need good hands out there. Remember how Miami gave us trouble for a while with pressure? I promise that UCS noticed that.

Want some more, Chickens?

We'll likely see a lot of four guards (though not all at once). KC Rivers (15 ppg, 6 reb, 2 st) and Demontez Stitt (9 ppg, 2 reb, 3 ast, 2 st) will probably be on the floor most of the night, with Terrence Oglesby (12 ppg) and freshman Andre Young (4 ppg, 3 ast) getting some meaningful minutes. Youg pairs up well against Downey, quick and elusive, and able to handle the ball against pressure.

Once the pressure defense gets a little leg weary, Clemson can move inside. Trevor Booker (15 ppg, 10 reb, 3 blk) should be able to handle Holmes, depending on which of them gets in foul trouble first. Ray Sykes (9 ppg 6 reb) and improving Jerai Grant (5 ppg, 4 reb, 2 blk) offer additional help.

We may once again see the defense of David Potter and Tanner Smith be called on, though USC's up-tempo defense doesn't translate into stops like Miami's half-court sets did.

The Tigers seem to be back on track at the free throw line (69 percent) but 3-point shooting has flattened a bit (38 percent). We've got fewer steals this year as OP has shifted from getting steals (and fouls) in the trap to just grinding our opponents down. USC is our first real up-tempo foe in a while. It will be interesting to see how that change in strategy works.

What's the call? Ken Pomeroy sees it anywhere as a 3 to 7-point win for Clemson, figuring our offense will perform up to average, but USC's offense will split between what they normally score and what we normally allow. If that's the case, USC might actually have the lead early, then fade back in the second half.

Personally, I'd rather have us take this one from the get-go and cruise in. But one more quality road win will be good, no matter how we get it. I see us with about an 8-point edge, based on the fact that we've faced tough road conditions before and prevailed.

And because the basketball team wants to give the football team something to shoot for.

Message was edited by: RevDodd®

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks Rev

Dec 28, 2008, 8:50 AM

Excellent job as usual.
I always wait on these.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Re: The Next Game: Clemson at South Carolina

Dec 28, 2008, 8:52 AM

"But one more quality road win will be good, no matter how we get it."

Nice write up Rev, but is this really going to be considered a quality road win come tourney selection time?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

eggsellent report!***

Dec 28, 2008, 9:27 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Potentially a "Big Trap" game for theTigers ...

Dec 28, 2008, 9:37 AM

The Coots have very capable scoring at the guard positions - Fredericks & Downey could have a combined 40+ points and break our press down off the dribble. Our press could lend itself to a lot of easy transition baskets for the Coots. We need to answer by beating their pressure with transition baskets and three's.

Most concerning will be the Coots energy level and home court advantage. Their newby HC knows this will be a "HUGE" win with their fan base. The Tigers are coming off a very impressive performance. Can we repeat it or are we due for a letdown. One thing I like is that SC hasn't seen the intensity or atleticism that Clemson brings. Overall we are a better team but ...... as a gambler we are prime for an upset.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see it as a trap, but it is a challenge

Dec 28, 2008, 11:38 AM

Were the game wedged between, say Miami and Wake, then perhaps. But honestly, what looms ahead for Clemson...ECU and Bama?

Horn forfeitted his hope for a "trap" when he opened his mouth about wanting to pass "that other team" in the state.

Also, lost in the shuffle is one more motivating fact: No one on the Clemson team has EVER lost to the Chickens. I can't see KC letting them get complacent about it now.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I also like OP's ability to have the Tigers ready ...

Dec 28, 2008, 12:10 PM

to play. We have some scoring versatility with Rivers, Stitt, Booker and TO. If we score and shoot 3's well, then I like our defense and clutch play down the stretch.
I think our half court defense may be the key as opposed to our press.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 28, 2008, 9:37 AM

Good Job, Duckie

Thanks Rev!***

Dec 28, 2008, 9:42 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your write-ups are great, Rev. Keep 'em comin'. ******

Dec 28, 2008, 9:53 AM

null

Right on Rev!***

Dec 28, 2008, 10:06 AM

lulz, another gem from The Reverend***

Dec 28, 2008, 11:06 AM

man!...you should be getting paid for a writeup like this!***

Dec 28, 2008, 11:36 AM

I just cash the points in on pizza and beer....***

Dec 28, 2008, 11:38 AM

Just like football, clap, clap, clap clap clap! Just like

Dec 28, 2008, 3:19 PM

football...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 28, 2008, 3:44 PM

First year for Horn, doesn't have many players, but give him a few years. Took OP a few to get where he is.

That's OK...he can take years and years....***

Dec 28, 2008, 6:42 PM

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic