Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So here's what should happen when FSU wins....,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

So here's what should happen when FSU wins....,

Mar 11, 2012, 8:11 AM

today. They hoist the trophy. In the meantime, Dabo and Andre Branch come on the court with the ACC football trophy. Then he and Leonard Hamilton announce that Clemson and FSU are done with the ACC and are taking the titles with them. Woooooo!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So here's what should happen when FSU wins....,

Mar 11, 2012, 9:04 AM

lol - good one. I just hope it's the SEC we're going to.

Hey - Mizzou probably just did that. They chanted SEC-SEC as they were winning.

Mar 11, 2012, 9:19 AM

We will not be going to the SEC.If we were we would have allready been asked(AND YOU HAVE TO BE ASKED!!)The SEC is not looking for another team in Florida or South Carolina.They are looking to expand their tv coverage in North Carolina and the Virginia's.That is why N.C.State has been mentioned along with West Virginia or Va.Tech.
If Clemson goes anywhere it will be the Big 12.Same for Florida State.
What ever happens however,I would love to see both schools leave the Tobacco Road Conference.

I will say this, Clemson and or FSU may or may not get

Mar 11, 2012, 9:52 AM

asked to go to the SEC, but this I say in all confidence, if the SEC goes to 16 teams they WILL NOT be from new markets.

I think a lot of folks are already questioning the addition of Missouri. While a new state, it is a pro state just like Mass. is to the ACC. Not to mention aside from the last 5-7 years, Missouri has been a bad football program. NC State has never had a very good program. A few good years here and there, but perennially average to below average.

The SEC brand, big stadiums packed with fans, prevails in 10 of its 12 current stadiums. The two recent additions meet that stadium/fan brand. Va Tech does, but they will not leave UVa and the ACC after begging to get in for 20 years. NC State's stadium does not meet that brand, but in the end they will not leave its triangle brothers from the ACC.

I think the reality of keeping the "SEC brand" will direct any further expansion, if it even happens. I think the SEC needs to look no further than the ACC to see where expansion of schools can hurt your overall programs if they are bad overall fits. Look at what has hapened to ACC basketball. Too many ho-hum matchups with poor crowds against BC, Va Tech, and Miami have diluted the home and home EVERY YEAR mathups with the old powers, Maryland, UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake, and Ga Tech. All of these basketball programs, except for UNC and Duke, have faded over the last 8 years since expansion.

The draw of the SEC is the big stadiums, just like the Big 10. Dilute that with smaller programs just for another state, sets up lesser matchups that drop the ratings. They need to keep the brand to keep the product as attractive as it is now, or fall into the same problem ACC basketball has fallen into since 2004.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. The SEC is about a brand of football that attracts

Mar 11, 2012, 12:22 PM

national attention. They already attract plenty of NC and Va. TV sets as it is. If they do move to 16 teams, they'll come knocking on our and FSU's doors first as we are the only two logical teams that fit their brand. The SEC is more concerned with TV sets in the other 48 states, and if they expand again it will more than likely be along those lines. If anyone needs an example about the fallacy of chasing TV markets when it comes to league expansion, look no further than the ACC.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agreed. The SEC is about a brand of football that attracts

Mar 12, 2012, 12:19 AM

Clemson and FSU will not be excluded from the final round of SEC expansion,the exclusion was for the move to 14. The exclusion is off for all future moves. We are not moving to 16 team superconferences. We are moving to 18 team superconferences. Move 15 & 16 will be about expanding markets. Move 17 & 18 about consolidation. OU/OSU (national brand) or NCSt/VaTech (markets) are the prefered moves to 16. Most people I know,who are in the know, have always believed CU and FSU are still viable options (if interested). WVU was a good option because VaTech showed little interest, but they got antsy and jumped to the B12. Clemson is vialbe because of SEC like athletic programs and facilities, and has stellar academics. FSU is more of a national brand due to past history, but also a defensive move. Without Clemson and FSU the Big12 has no really profitable targets in the Southeast. (18:3 div. of 6) (3div champs & best remaining record for 4 team playoff)

Re: Agreed. The SEC is about a brand of football that attracts

Mar 12, 2012, 12:48 AM

Just a couple more points. Let's say only one of the OU/OSU or VaTech/NCst targets said yes. Who would be #16? Likely the invite would go to you guys over FSU for two reasons. Your academic standing would be preferable to the university presidents in the SEC, and contrary to what you may feel about your hated rival, the gamecocks have actually been favorable to the idea. Not so for the the gators about the noles. But, the SEC won't move until it is determined which conference remains intact, the ACC or B12. If the ACC stays safe, it is in our plans to partner with you (like B1G & PAC) and we won't try for any of your teams). Our options would be OU,OSU,Texas(doubtful),TCU,Louisville, WVU, etc. If you get raided by the B1G (more likely)or B12 (not really likely) then the SEC will probably move preimptively to secure its desires from remaining ACC teams (NCst, VaTech, CU & FSU). Therefore your future is in either an expanded & safer ACC, or in the SEC if the unimaginable happens.

Re: I will say this, Clemson and or FSU may or may not get

Mar 12, 2012, 12:10 PM [ in reply to I will say this, Clemson and or FSU may or may not get ]

The SEC has made at least two public statements that I know of stating that they have zero interest in adding teams in states in which they already have a presence, specifically South Carolina and Florida. If we go anywhere, it will be the Big 12, and TDP seems against movement at all.

Pipe dreams my friends.

Do not construe this message to imply that I am opposed to the idea. While I would like a move away from Swofford, I have recognized that there is little hope for this.

Mar 12, 2012, 1:11 PM

From the multi-part interview Tigernet did with TDP that was posted on here a few weeks back, TDP didn't exactly seem pleased with the ACC. Specifically when it came to talking about revenues from TV contracts, and lack of school autonomy for lower-tier programming.

Mar 13, 2012, 1:32 PM

From the second part of that interview:

"...We are living in an ever-changing world, but the Atlantic Coast Conference has been good to Clemson. Yes, there have been some traumas. Yes, there have been some hard feelings. But again, the benefits and pluses far outweigh the minuses..."

While I realize that he has probably been instructed by the BOT to dismiss the notion of conference realignment, I find little evidence in any of his responses that would make me believe that he is open to the idea. His invariable response tends to sidestep the question, sing the ACC's praise, and then attest that we can win a BCS NCG while in the ACC. Makes me want to vomit.

Mar 11, 2012, 9:31 AM

WOW! now that would be great!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So here's what should happen when FSU wins...., I'm torn

Mar 11, 2012, 9:58 AM

while a non NC school winning would be good consider FSU's time in the ACC versus ours. For them to get a win versus our years of futility (I think only in the finals twice) is very frustrating. Clemson could and should have won this once. Even GT and Vt have. It infuriates me for most years we really didnt try to win it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

74 Tiger ... the overmatched coaches & players have tried

Mar 11, 2012, 5:23 PM

with their average talent, fragile psyches and lack of confidence against the big boys for many years ... but the administration has rarely hired talented coaches, Littlejohn is not a draw, and recruiting has been hit, miss, miss, miss and miss ...

All true Tiger Hoops fans have to be frustrated watching Butler play for the national championship game in 2010 and 2011 and their coach not having a hiff of interest in Clemson. That doesn't stop me from pulling for the team year after year. But the real winners like Dale Davis, Coach Rick Barnes, Boogie McIntyre, and Trevor Booker have been few and far between.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What has VT won?***

Mar 11, 2012, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Re: So here's what should happen when FSU wins...., I'm torn ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would be EPIC!!***

Mar 11, 2012, 5:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I, have a dream.............***

Mar 12, 2012, 8:20 AM

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic