Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Seeing as how I don't have to be at camp today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 3,125

Seeing as how I don't have to be at camp today

Jun 11, 2015, 11:45 AM

And someone asked if I was full time earlier, here is kind of a brief synopsis of what got me to Clemson. When I was in high school, a man by the name of Dan Foster (the sports editor and columnist at the Greenville News) came by for a career day. I spoke with him after, and he invited me up to the News to talk about a part time job as a clerk. I was accepted, and pretty soon I was helping out with high school football Friday nights (under Tom Layton) - we chased every score in the state to run and I would write a two or three graph recap based off the phone calls. I was getting ready for college and still playing baseball (and softball) all over the country, so nothing was full time, but even when I was in college I was playing ball and covering Tennessee football and high schools, then came home to work full time for the Greenville Piedmont under Luther Gaillard. In the meantime, I was still being mentored by Dan Foster and he was dragging me to Braves games and Clemson games and the World Series, and I eventually covered the Greenville Braves and then the Atlanta Braves during a lot of their magical early 90s run.

I quit writing full time after my son was born and after the Braves World Series win (who could top that) to take a sales job and finally make some money, but I was miserable. I kept doing a lot of freelance work, and I was still writing anywhere from five to 15 articles for the Greenville News a week before finally going full time again and covering everything from Wofford to Georgia to Clemson to South Carolina to the Panthers and Hawks and Braves and Falcons.

However, I could see the writing on the wall for newspapers as far back as 2008 and began to see if I could land elsewhere and was thinking about taking the job covering South Carolina when I talked to Crump. The rest is history. But I tried to count it up the other day, and my guess is that I've covered in person somewhere around 350 (or more) high school football games and many hundreds more baseball and softball. I've covered well over 700 hundred Braves games and minor league games and probably 300 college football games.

I learned from Dan (and his friends he let me learn from like Blackie Sherrod and Bob Oates and others) that being first isn't as important as being right. That's why I don't just throw stuff out there willy nilly and HOPE I am right...if I put it out there it's because it's the truth.

It's why I also laugh when others talk about having done this for a long time and maybe I don't have a feel for recruiting or how to do this job...I was doing this job while most of the guys on this beat were still sitting at home on momma's couch and getting drunk on the weekends. So there ya go.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

David Hood... my source for all things Clemson.***

Jun 11, 2015, 11:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Oh yeah !? What are you weaRing "DAVE" from tnet***

Jun 11, 2015, 11:49 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

That's all really neat, David. But it doesn't explain

Jun 11, 2015, 11:50 AM

why you like the Broncos

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

maybe nikki's the broncos' fan?

Jun 11, 2015, 11:53 AM

it wood explain some things.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Broncos......

Jun 11, 2015, 11:55 AM [ in reply to That's all really neat, David. But it doesn't explain ]

I am the son of a preacher, and I lived all the country when I was younger. I lived in Texas and pulled for the Cowboys once upon a time, but I've also spent a lot of time in Colorado and Nikki and I visit every chance we get (we went backpacking three times last year). In 1978, I pulled for Denver in the Super Bowl against Dallas just because my brothers were pulling for Dallas. In 1987, I was already a big Elway and Broncos fan, but I sat there mesmerized by The Drive at Cleveland to win the playoff game. I was hooked. Been a Broncos fan since then.

Nikki and I went to a Broncos/Chargers game last season, and I posted a video to my Facebook that cracked people up. I couldn't cheer. I've never really sat in the stands at a sporting event....I don't know how to cheer and feel awkward and finally Nikki made me stop because it was just embarrassing. I was trying to figure out what defense they were in and was the safety shading and was the tight end chipping......old habits die hard.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haha gotcha

Jun 11, 2015, 12:09 PM

Sounds like nikki has a lot of work cut out for her, poor thing

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

thanks, dhood, but you say getting drunk on the weekends

Jun 11, 2015, 11:52 AM

as if it's a bad thing?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think you're understanding him correctly

Jun 11, 2015, 12:02 PM

He's making fun of amateurs. Amateurs get drunk on the weekends. Professionals get drunk on weekdays and weekends. Hth

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

what if you work weekends, not me of course, but others...

Jun 11, 2015, 12:08 PM

is ok that they get drunk then and only then?

According to davidhood, no***

Jun 11, 2015, 12:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

the last thing i expected to happen today was leave tigernet

Jun 11, 2015, 12:36 PM

liking the dhood less. still shaking it...

does nikki know david's anti weekends only stance? seems a deal breaker.

Seems like it would seal the deal to me***

Jun 11, 2015, 12:42 PM

You learned under a great one in Dan Foster. A very fine &

Jun 11, 2015, 11:53 AM

humorous gentleman. He was one of the many highlights of the old days at the Greenville TD Club (70's)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This seems like starting a thread to

Jun 11, 2015, 12:06 PM

accept official apologies. Is this starting a thread to accept official apologies?

David, your comment "...being first isn't as important as

Jun 11, 2015, 12:08 PM

being right" is, perhaps, a key ingredient of journalism as the writing itself.

Occasionally, I refer to my years at Clemson (1965-1969,) and my involvement with "The Tiger," which at the time was the main source of information and communication at Clemson. Although on a short time constraint weekly, we constantly insisted on verification, and no article was published until it had been vetted by a chain of assistant and senior editors, all of whom grilled the reporter on sources and quotations. Thus, by the time of publication articles had been thoroughly reviewed and rewritten for veracity, proper English and style. That attention to detail was one of the main reasons why the paper received a coveted All-American Award, recognized as being one of the top 25 collegiate papers in the nation.

Today, much of what I read appears to be opinions or outright false assumptions thrown up on the wall in a constant search for readers or hits, as we say. Additionally, anyone calling himself a journalist is either on the airwaves or the net, regaling us with his "wisdom" or opinions, much of it misinformed, uninformed or illformed.

Thus, it's a relief to behold a man trained as yourself, and for that, I am both grateful and thankful.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seeing as how I don't have to be at camp today***

Jun 11, 2015, 12:16 PM

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

we appreciate having you in the family! I still have a

Jun 11, 2015, 12:21 PM

treasured bumper sticker.... "I beat Dan Foster" from way back in the day.

Awesome article David Hood...

Jun 11, 2015, 12:33 PM

Without sounding like some creepy stalker guy I almost approached you at the youth camp the other day to talk sports but you looked pretty busy. I think you and I live in the same area as well. Now that I've read this I'll def. try to take the time and talk some sports with you. I had no idea your background esp the old G-Braves days. You probably covered some of those great ACC baseball tourneys we had back in the day.

True story ^^^***

Jun 11, 2015, 12:42 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

been a long week at the camp...

Jun 11, 2015, 1:06 PM

Message was edited by: TigerNet Recruiting®

you should hang out more often & continue to repair the

Jun 11, 2015, 1:11 PM

damage you know who has done to the good family name.

RA'd for starting the funny

Jun 11, 2015, 1:13 PM [ in reply to been a long week at the camp... ]

I see a 2x4 in your future

I used to love to read Dan Foster's columns

Jun 11, 2015, 1:54 PM

Is there anywhere online to read his old stuff? It would be fun to re-read the ones related to Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 3,125
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic