Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tommy bowden..your honest opinion.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Tommy bowden..your honest opinion.

Dec 8, 2004, 11:13 AM

I'm not trying to be a basher or have everyone call me an idiot but I have an honest question. Why does everyone on this board support Tommy has much as you all do. It is almost like the guy can do nothing wrong. He is 44-29 over six years. That is a 65% winning percentage and for a man making 1.4 million not very good. Please share your honest thoughts ony why you all feel TB is the right man for the job. Flame away.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My honest review of Tommy Bowden

Dec 8, 2004, 11:18 AM

1. 5-1 against USC.
2. 25-7 versus the two Carolinas.
3. 11-2 at home, last 2 years.
4. Second best league record in the ACC since he arrived at Clemson. We can do better, but only FSU has won more league games than the Tigers over Tommy's tenure.
5. Bowl eligible six straight years. No one else did this at Clemson.
6. I can't recall a time when more of our athletes graduated than under Bowden. We regularly have multiple graduate students playing for us! That never happened before.
7. Three wins over top ten programs in 13 months.
8. Banner recruiting season under way.
9. Two of his kids will have graduated from Clemson. The man bleeds orange.
10. Outstanding personal character.

How can anyone NOT like the guy?

Bowden needs to win more games, of course. Everyone knows that. Coach Bowden sure knows it. He's doing a great job. He has my support.

(BTW, Bowden makes an average salary for a decent Div 1 program. Don't hold the pay scale against him.)

Harley

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You could not have said it better Harley...great post***

Dec 8, 2004, 11:22 AM

Re: My honest review of Tommy Bowden

Dec 8, 2004, 11:22 AM [ in reply to My honest review of Tommy Bowden ]

Ditto....Besides who would be better that is available...I am willing to give him more time...I've been going to the games since '74...we have much worse runs than this.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lest you forget Harley, that in his job interview

Dec 8, 2004, 11:24 AM [ in reply to My honest review of Tommy Bowden ]

Coach Bowden said he would be competitive, win games, recruit outstanding student athletes, graduate players, and not embarrass Clemson in the media.

He has done every bit of that.

In turn he was promised massive upgrades to player facilities that bordered on the pitiful side.

6 years of fulfilling promises, the admin has finally decided to keep their's.

Screw Oil, burn Lungers

Now THAT is the post of the day! You nailed it, Pole!***

Dec 8, 2004, 11:25 AM

Clap, Clap... This thread should be stuck at the top!!!***

Dec 8, 2004, 11:27 AM

That's absolutely correct !!!!***

Dec 8, 2004, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Lest you forget Harley, that in his job interview ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nice!! You must have had a good speech class!!***

Dec 8, 2004, 11:35 AM [ in reply to My honest review of Tommy Bowden ]

Actually, TB (though an athlete) probably did also!!***

Dec 8, 2004, 11:38 AM

Two more important things come to mind.............

Dec 8, 2004, 11:47 AM [ in reply to My honest review of Tommy Bowden ]

...and these are personal.

1. Coach Bowden wears his religious faith on his sleeve. His faith is a visible and important part of who he is and sharing that part of himself very publicly with the people around him and with the whole world is clearly important to Coach Bowden. I admire that sort of commitment from a man of any faith.

2. Coach Bowden does a SUPER job of handling the sorts of crises life deals. Coach Bowden did a wonderful job of dealing with a personal career crisis last year. He did a great job of publicly dealing with the personal crisis this year when his nephew was killed.

Bowden has been a role model for ALL OF US on some pretty important issues. Yep, I'm in his corner.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:I LOVE Tommy and he's great for Clemson***

Dec 8, 2004, 12:13 PM [ in reply to My honest review of Tommy Bowden ]

Re: My honest review of Tommy Bowden

Dec 8, 2004, 12:27 PM [ in reply to My honest review of Tommy Bowden ]

Unbelievably accurate assessment. My sentiments exactly!!!

Brian69

Dec 8, 2004, 12:32 PM

I find Bowden to be pretty mediocre. He's got a few big wins, a few terrible losses, a lot of blowouts, and a bunch of middle-of the-pack bowls under his belt.

He's 44-29 in 6 years. That's mediocre no matter how you break it down.

Every Clemson fan seems to be in love with the guy for some reason, but he'll get 1 more chance to prove himself and if he can't produce 8 wins we'll show him the door.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like and agree with all your reasons except for #6.

Dec 8, 2004, 12:48 PM [ in reply to My honest review of Tommy Bowden ]

Nice to have been able to go to a bowl for the past 6 years, but it's misleading to intimate that achievement being better than anyone before,... the rules have changed. If Clemson had historically been able to go to bowls with 6 win seasons, there's no telling how many would have been attended under previous administrations.
This accolade, however nice to wave around, is just not all that meets the eye.

Well the records shows.......

Dec 8, 2004, 1:53 PM

...that you have a good point.

There have only been two other times in our history when we went six straight years winning at least 6 games.

Coach Ford did it, of course, but his bowl eligible streak was broken by a three year probation. I hate to do it, but we gotta take the good with the bad. Coach Ford was never bowl eligible 6 years in a row.

It surprised me to note that the Great Frank Howard WAS bowl eligile for six straight years from 1956-1961. That great streak of Howard's should be recognized and honored. It was not Coach Howard's fault that there were not enough bowls in the 50s!

So, I stand corrected. Coach Howard and Coach Bowden are co-holders of the record for most consecutive bowl eligible streaks. Still, that's pretty good company.

It sure would be nice to set the record next year, wouldn't it?

Harley

Did you forget?

about the 6 straight bowl-eligible seasons?

or one of the best graduation rates in the country?

or beating 3 top 10 teams in a span of a year?

or how about the past 3 years against USC?

TB does a lot of good for Clemson University and represents us well.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

(Aaron) Hunt Hater!!! Its you!!!***

Dec 8, 2004, 12:18 PM

HAHAHAHA...awesome...you know how I feel about that guy!***

Dec 8, 2004, 1:03 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did you forget?

Dec 8, 2004, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Did you forget? ]

I strongly agree with you on this one. I support Bowden in most of this calls. But Brusky did get you on the Hunt Hater part. I as well want to Ban the Woo Hoo.

Hunt Heckler!!!!!

Dec 8, 2004, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Did you forget? ]

Hahahahah now I see you on Tigernet after 3 years of sitting behind you at games.

Hilarious! Man it was fun heckling him***

Dec 8, 2004, 1:04 PM

Because he runs a clean program, he graduates players and he

makes the university look good. Oh by the way, he's beaten 3 top ten teams in the last 13-14 months. Personally, I would rather be 8-3 with a clean program and high graduation rates than 10-1 with a lot of trouble

"This thing that I call living is just being satisfied knowing that I've got no one left to blame." Gordon Lightfoot

Idiot...***

Dec 8, 2004, 11:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

65% ranks him in the top 15 among active coaches***

Dec 8, 2004, 11:22 AM

2nd nomination for idiot post of the day...very close!****

Dec 8, 2004, 11:23 AM

Could this be your reason?????

Dec 8, 2004, 11:24 AM

brian69
Newbie [14 pts]

Re: I am really happy that Bowden is cleaning house. [0.00 / 2]
Posted: Dec 3, 2004 7:04 PM Rate: Reply

Why was it important to let coach smith go? Is it just me or is nick eason and donnel washington in the nfl? Didn't tremaine billie step up and have a good season after sampson got hurt? What in the h### did he do to get fired? I've known for a few years now and this move disgusts me.

is 65% bad??***

Dec 8, 2004, 11:24 AM

Re: Tommy bowden..your honest opinion.

1) 4-1 against U$C
2) Clemson has won more ACC games than any school except FSU since '99
3) 11-2 at home last 2 yrs
4) We've been bowl eligible EVERY yr he's been here.
5) Beaten 3 top 10 teams in the last year.
6) Recruiting well(could improve)
7) Not afraid to make tough decisions (i.e, coaches this yr and benching Willie Simmons)
8) Graduating players at a high rate
9) Minimum off the field problems and when they are deals with them swiftly and justly.
10)9-4 last yr, could've easily been 7-4 or 8-3 this yr with a brutal schedule
11)Developing very good depth on OL and DL finally

Need anymore? I think Tommy is getting it done. Look at Beamers first 6 yrs (2-8-1 his 6th yr). Good chance to have a very good yr next yr.

Not to pick nits but he is 5-1 against U$C, not 4-1***

Dec 8, 2004, 11:26 AM

over last five years, he has the 2nd most in-conference wins

of anyone in the ACC. i'm not on the bowden bandwagon right now. i hope the changes he is making help keep our team focused against the dukes and wakes, and help us get over that hump. i'm really worried about the wide reciever position. i'm worried this recruiting class could fall apart. all that said, bowden is our coach, his results are impressive in their own right. he is our coach. he is part of the clemson family. i don't always like my family, but i always love them. i will always defend them. he's here. deal with it. he's got another year, hopefully he'll do well enough to be nere 10 more.

$1.4 Million???***

Dec 8, 2004, 11:26 AM

Dec 8, 2004, 11:27 AM

Coach's off the field teaching of his young men is outstanding. They are learning what it will take to be successful in life -- off the football field.
He is the type of man you want to have you help raise your young men. Wins and loses OK but I think will get better.
Caliber of Clemson football players under Bowden is much improved. Just the thoughts from a sr citizen that bleeds orange, eats orange and drives orange!

Two-time ACC Football Coach of the Year***

Dec 8, 2004, 11:28 AM

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Dec 8, 2004, 12:03 PM

Butt boy. Do you not have a retort?

Here's the opinion I gave the other day

Dec 8, 2004, 12:41 PM

in response to a "Do you trust Coach Bowden?" post.

I think my answer addresses your question too, so here it is.

Since Tommy Bowden has become our coach:

The only ACC team with more league wins than Clemson in that period is FSU.

We have beaten three storied programs while their team was ranked in the top ten.

We have had record-setting offenses that have led to one quarterback becoming the first player in NCAA Div. 1A history to rush for 1000 and pass for 2000 in the same season and another who, even though he had a disappointing junior season, will ultimately break every Clemson passing record by a country mile.

We have seen the vast majority of our players behave with character and bring honor to our university, and we have seen the few troublemakers dealt with swiftly, fairly, and decisively.

We have recruited very well, not only in terms of hyped, "star" players, but in terms of players who fit the "speed and athleticism" skill position desires for Bowden's philosophy and who fit the "size and quickness" goals for the lines. Yes, there have been dips in certain areas along the way on the recruiting path, but if you look at the last two classes, you can see that we're about to reap serious benefits.

We have not only continued our domination of our in-state rivals, but cranked it up a notch. The last two games in that series will stick in the craws of Gamecocks fans for years and years and years.

We have qualified for a bowl six consecutive years. It's the first time an ACC coach has done that in his first six years, and this year, we became the first ACC team to qualify after a 1-4 start.

Tommy has illustrated that he can take a punch and come back. I'm convinced that 90% of all coaches would not have been able to bounce back after last year's Wake debacle or this year's 1-4 start.

We have been, at times, maddeningly inconsistent, and we have failed to reach a level of play week-in and week-out that most of us fans think Clemson University deserves. And it is clear that Tommy Bowden feels exactly the same way. He is not content with the inconsistency he's seen from his teams. In fact, he's so frustrated by it that he's fired three good assistant coaches after a winning season. He will not be satisfied until we're building new display cases for championship trophies.

I believe that, and yeah, I trust him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 8, 2004, 3:22 PM

First, you have his salary wrong...go look it up cos you're going with high end incentives added.

Second, winning is not everything so I'll be happy if that is just coming around after all the other changes he has brought and mentioned by others above.

It's difficult to find the perfect match, we had it almost with Danny and now Tommy. It means a lot for a coach to want to be at Clemson, Tommy didn't barter a huge increase last year, he opted for a long term relationship.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic