Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How many teams can truly compete for National Championships anymore?
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 551

How many teams can truly compete for National Championships anymore?

Apr 23, 2024, 4:45 PM

Here is my short list of the schools that can compete for national championships moving forward.
Georiga, LSU, Alabama, Texas, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Michigan, ND and USC. This is if NIL and portal rules stay as is. If we can't get one more in the next year or two, not sure it will ever happen and I am not saying we are that close right now given QB play. Thoughts? Who am I missing?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How many teams can truly compete for National Championships anymore?

Apr 23, 2024, 4:52 PM

I think you're missing quite a few who can compete for a natty. ####, Washington just played for one. I'd add Clemson, FSU, Oregon, Washington, Penn State, Florida, and Oklahoma. There may be a few others I'm missing. I think Clemson and FSU need to get out of the ACC asap to stay on the list.

Apr 23, 2024, 5:13 PM

I definitely missed Oregon.

I'd also remove Notre Dame,

Apr 23, 2024, 5:35 PM [ in reply to Re: How many teams can truly compete for National Championships anymore? ]

they will be cursed as a program so long as Lou Holtz is NOT being eaten by worms.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

B K.... have it your way. You rule.***

Apr 23, 2024, 4:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I think quite a few still can

Apr 23, 2024, 4:56 PM

if they get the right QB and have a everything click for a season. Look at Washington last year.

Apr 23, 2024, 5:01 PM

It will actually be more teams, because now you have to win it one the field, instead of being voted in by a popularity contest. With more teams having a path, more players will view other schools as a viable option.

Apr 23, 2024, 5:14 PM

That is opposite of what my thoughts are but I really hope you are correct.

Apr 23, 2024, 5:19 PM

My comment on "moving forward" reflects on the ongoing consolidation of talent of NIL rich/aggressive schools and the longer we go the more rosters will reflect this. Heading into year 3 is why I feel the number of schools is shrinking.

There will always be two wild cards. A team that is upper classman heavy for a given year and/or hits on or develops on undervalued QB. Penix is a great example of this.

Apr 23, 2024, 5:32 PM

We were posting at the same time so my question below is what you addressed. I think it'll take longer but essentially your thinking imo is correct. That's why I think it will ultimately be changed.. or controlled just like the NFL with caps etc because even the handful of teams as you laid out will have to bid against the other.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2024, 5:39 PM

What does the Portal have to do with it? You have a bias against and think it is horrible but I can guarantee you if Dabo thought we could not compete, we would not be able to recruit. Take a giant step back from the cliff.

Apr 23, 2024, 6:04 PM

I don't follow you...I have no bias against the portal. The reason I lumped the two together is that when combined with NIL (yes, I am biased against zero limits of buying of players, not even the Yankees or Dodgers can completely do this without max luxury tax), the portal is unregulated free agency. No contracts, no limits.

Apr 23, 2024, 6:07 PM

The number of teams who could compete for a natty has always been small. It may be even more now than say 30 yrs. Ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2024, 6:40 PM

I guess depending on how you measure "can truly compete." If competing is making the 12 or 16 CFP field then yes absolutely, there will be more. In my mind, anyone outside of a top 7-8 seed will be a huge upset.

Replies: 13
| visibility 551
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic