Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ideally the ACC would be a viable conference...
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 901

Ideally the ACC would be a viable conference...

Apr 23, 2024, 11:29 AM

but since that isn't gonna happen. My ideal scenario plays out like this...

SEC adds Clemson, FSU, Oklahoma State and GT (I know those last two seem like odd bedfellows but hear me out). Sankey has said on at least two occasions that the SEC reunites and/or maintains rivalries. He made this comment when discussing the renewal of the Texas and TAMU game and also Texas and Arkansas being traditional rivals. Along that line of thinking, OKST and GT keep long standing rivalries intact -- same is true for Clemson and FSU. It is not safe to assume that those traditional games will continue in the new world of the P2 (the B10 and SEC will be competitive enough internally so it's not hard to see them removing a potential loss from their OOC schedules).

And just so the math works, the ideal scenario above would require Mizzou to move to the B10 -- which I am absolutely certain they would do should an invite come their way.

B10 would need to add 1 more to get to the purported 20 team goal -- that could be UNC or ND or Utah. Frankly I don't care how that plays out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ideally the ACC would be a viable conference...

Apr 23, 2024, 11:47 AM

Not going to happen. The SEC and BIG are now united in their efforts to control the money pie in CFB. They will coordinate all future moves. With the NIL lawsuit on back pay for piwer 5 teams and a set aside among power 5 schools for a percentage of the total revenue from FB going to athletes, which is estimated to be 16 million a year, per team, not counting the 1 billion dollar back pay, the SEC and BIG are not going to add any schools that will not increase tv revenue or CFP teams. That means only about 4 or 5 teams currently. Maybe a few at half share later.

Right now those 4 or 5 teams are:

Clemson
FSU
UNC
ND

THESE TWO ARE QUESTIONABLE.
VIRGINIA OR MIAMI.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2024, 1:23 PM

Doesn’t matter who SEC or BIG adds. The NCAA is putting together a league that will encompass both the BIG, SEC and CFP. It will have divisions and look a lot like professional soccer in Europe.
Coming soon to your favorite school.

Apr 23, 2024, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Ideally the ACC would be a viable conference... ]

Yeah, I hate that SEC and BIG are now united. If they were competing against each other it would give us more leverage. Now united, they control to a large degree where we end up.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UVA brings multi-sport program & Cal/Stanford liberal arts "excellence"

Apr 23, 2024, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Ideally the ACC would be a viable conference... ]

But no Football viewership, interest or revenue. College presidents and conferences absolutely will welcome UVA's academic snobbery & public school scores' superiority, but networks are calling the shots.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2024, 1:48 PM

Oklahoma State???

Apr 23, 2024, 3:17 PM

Pokes are a perennial Top 20 in viewership - they would place 3rd in the ACC right now (behind Clemson and FSU).

Sankey maybe full of it but he has emphasized regional rivalries on more than one occasion. A Western pod of Texas, TAMU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, and Arkansas would an awesome pod.

Apr 23, 2024, 3:23 PM

Texas Tech would be a far better choice thank Oklahoma State.

Side bar - This is where the ACC screwed up imo. When OU and Texas were leaving the Big 12, it left the Big 12 ripe for picking and the ACC should have swooped in and picked up some of the top schools giving the ACC a western market and perhaps the opportunity to renegotiate their ESPN GOR.

Apr 23, 2024, 3:40 PM

Agree on the missed opportunity by the ACC but we shouldn't have expected anything more from them.

Texas Tech is a fine choice but OkSt gets almost twice the viewership of the red raiders. Also Lubbock is too out in the middle of nowhere.

Apr 23, 2024, 2:18 PM

The ACC is most certainly a viable conference with multiple National Championships this year and hopefully we add another in baseball.

Apr 23, 2024, 3:41 PM

Given the current payout differential, I strongly disagree on the viability of the ACC going fwd.

Its never been about championships won -- if it was, the ACC would be the highest paid conference in the country

Replies: 10
| visibility 901
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic