Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting explanation of ACC 3rd tier media rights....
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,051

Interesting explanation of ACC 3rd tier media rights....

Mar 28, 2024, 2:49 PM

this is from 12 years ago and it correctly forecast the demise of the ACC due to 3rd Tier Media rights.
Imagine if Clemson held its own 3rd tier media rights during/after our National Championship runs. Especially now that everything is going to streaming and the number of eyes watching our product instead of "markets" now the big factor.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2012/06/04/the-accs-third-tier-rights-and-why-theyre-killing-the-conference/?sh=3d09a27a6375

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Re: Interesting explanation of ACC 3rd tier media rights....

Mar 28, 2024, 2:53 PM

Can't read it w/o disabling my ad blocker which I will not do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2024, 3:23 PM

https://archive.is/C21TP

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2024, 4:33 PM

Thanks for the link.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2024, 2:53 PM

It wouldn't have helped. They would have done what the SEC and Big Ten did (and what the ACC ultimately did), start a conference network.

The Big 12 kept their Tier 3 rights, and look what it did for them.

Have you ever heard of the University of Texas and Oklahoma University out of

Mar 28, 2024, 3:10 PM

the Big 12? Nah? Having control of their media rights didn't help them at all did it? Not saying that Clemson would've had appeal to support its own network like Texas but Come on Chad!

"Here's one insider interview of how this happened. In his own words ESPN's negotiator John Skipper asks Swofford what it will take for ESPN to get the deal. Swofford says unequivocally "bring in Raycom". So ESPN gets a cut rate deal and the ACC football schools are dealt a killshot. All in order to save Swofford's son's job.."
Business Report
https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2010/10/04/daily3.html?page=all

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Re: Have you ever heard of the University of Texas and Oklahoma University out of

Mar 28, 2024, 3:21 PM

The Tier 3 rights played no part in Texas or Oklahoma being able to leave the Big 12 fir the SEC.

ESPN did not get a cut rate deal. Raycom did not take money from the ACC's contract.

Show me where I said that UT and OU's 3rd tier rights played a part in

Mar 28, 2024, 3:42 PM

them being able to leave the Big 12 for the SEC. But since you went there, The fact that they made their own money on them instead of all of it going to a company like Raycom had to help finance their departure a year earlier.

Raycom paid ESPN 50 million to sub contract the 3rd Tier rights.

Re: Show me where I said that UT and OU's 3rd tier rights played a part in

Mar 28, 2024, 4:59 PM

Then I don't see your point about Texas and Oklahoma regarding Tier 3 rights. The Tier 3 rights obviously didn't pay enough money to keep Texas and Oklahoma in the Big 12, which was my original point.

You point about Texas and Oklahoma being able to leave the Big 12 because they owned their own Tier 3 rights isn't accurate. Thet didn't help finance their departure.

Love this part...

Mar 28, 2024, 3:11 PM

The ACC television rights that Raycom secured are credited with keeping the syndicator alive: "company executives acknowledged that keeping a piece of the ACC’s business was the only way the small, regional TV syndicator and production company could stay relevant." Raycom pays $50 million annually in a sublicense agreement with ESPN; ACC schools see none of that money.

It's rather surprising that a conference would so willingly take less TV money - the core source of revenue in collegiate athletics - just to keep a broadcast company from folding. There are, of course, plenty of conspiracy theories to explain Swofford's irrational decision. Raycom Sports is based in North Carolina, and the ACC is often accused of favoring its four NC schools. Then there's Swofford's son, Chad Swofford, who is the Senior Director of New Media and Business Development at Raycom Sports (he was also employed by Boston College athletics when the school received an invite from the ACC). But regardless of what theory you choose to believe, the ultimate conclusion is that the ACC has not been the best at negotiating its TV rights contracts.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: Love this part...

Mar 28, 2024, 3:18 PM

They didn't willingly take less money.

This part I would actually agree with you on.

Mar 28, 2024, 4:02 PM

they weren't presented with any other option. So of course they agreed to it.

Mar 28, 2024, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Love this part... ]

and a half-truth is still a lie.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2024, 5:04 PM

It's not a half truth. The ACC did not lose any money because of Raycom.

All Raycom did was syndicate games ftom ESPN. At that time, ESPN syndicated games from the SEC, Big 12, and Pac12 as well. It was common practice at the time. ESPN was going to syndicate ACC games one way or the other, whether it was with Raycom, FSS, CSS, or any of the other syndication companies of the time.

Mar 28, 2024, 5:38 PM

The contract is not to play reruns, but live games.

Mar 28, 2024, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Love this part... ]

One of the hopeful aspects of the litigation is in the discovery process. Hopefully the league has to produce correspondence between the league and media outlets shedding light on their discussions/negotiations. I bet there is some less than flattering tidbits that the league hoped would never see the light of day.

I think that is what FSU is counting on.

Mar 28, 2024, 5:17 PM

At least on of the things FSU is counting on. That is why the arguments over discovery are so important. If any judge in any state grants FSU the right to see communications concerning the ESPN TV contracts, the ACC - presumably - will soon settle rather than let them be made public.

FSU specifically named John Swofford and Chad in their lawsuit. I assume their position is, "You don't want all those emails and letters and texts between the ACC, ESPN and Raycom being made public. You don't want to release hundreds of pieces of information detailing how John Swofford gave ESPN a sweetheart deal in return for ESPN giving RayCom a sweetheart deal and in turn gave Chad a sweetheart deal.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the link. Interesting.***

Mar 28, 2024, 5:17 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,051
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic