Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Never seen someone swing at a pitch
Tiger Boards - Women's Sports
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,101

Never seen someone swing at a pitch

Apr 27, 2024, 3:08 PM

That bounced before getting to home plate

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Never seen someone swing at a pitch

Apr 27, 2024, 8:50 PM

Obviously you never saw me play baseball.

A long time ago I heard that Yogi Berra did that and hit the ball off the outfield wall.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2024, 11:19 PM

Haven’t watched much baseball have you? It’s not that uncommon

Apr 28, 2024, 11:07 AM

Have watched lots of baseball. Not sure what kind of badball you have been watching to say its common to swing at a ball that bounces a foot in front of home plate.

One of our guys did it for strike 3 in a game during the NCSU series

Apr 27, 2024, 11:25 PM

Can’t remember who it was but he swung at a ball that bounce before home plate and then it hit his back leg. The ball careened to the backstop and he ran to first presumably safe. However, since the ball hit him it was called a dead ball and the strikeout stood.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shouldn't have if he was in the batter's box...

Apr 28, 2024, 12:38 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Shouldn't have if he was in the batter's box...

Apr 28, 2024, 12:47 PM

When you swing at a pitch, the strike stands even if the ball hits you. In the case geech referenced, the strike counted resulting in a strikeout, but the batter was not allowed to reach first base because the ball was ruled dead once it subsequently hit the batter.

I have, several times, by our guys (and a few times by the gals as well) this

Apr 28, 2024, 8:09 AM

year. That comes when you are GUESSING what is coming, and gear up for it right out of the pitchers hand, swinging without even looking where the ball is actually going.

:(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2024, 12:48 PM

Perhaps he thought he was playing cricket.

Then you havent watched much baseball

Apr 28, 2024, 1:33 PM

Even big leaguers do it from time to time

Apr 28, 2024, 2:15 PM

Let’s apply some simple biophysics to the problem. A 90 mph fastball takes 0.4 seconds to reach the plate. An average batter takes 0.25 seconds to see and react to the ball. That leaves the average batter 0.15 seconds to determine what type of pitch is on the way (2 seam fastball, 4 seam fastball, curve, slider, change up, etc.) and where it will be when it reaches you (strike, ball, high, low, inside, outside, etc.).

To make matters worse, by the time your brain processes all these factors and you determine how to react, the ball is no longer where it was when your brain gathered all that information. It has advanced another 10-15 feet along its path.

If you determined fastball on the inside corner but turns out it was a slider breaking late down and away, you’re probably going to end up looking pretty silly to the guy watching on a cellphone or sitting in the left field bleachers.

If the pitcher is throwing even harder, say 91-92, your reaction must be even quicker. If he has a good slider or change up to go with a good fastball, then you’re in for a long day until he runs out of gas.

It happens all the time. I once hit against a reliever the other team brought in with the bases loaded, no outs, and us trailing by one run late. The reliever threw 96-98. I watched him fan the batter before me, and the ball was barely a blur going by as I waited in the on deck circle. As I walked to the plate to get my strikeout, I prayed that he would get me on three pitches and don’t let him hit me. Then he struck out the next guy as well to preserve the lead for his team. At 96-98 mph, if you’re going to swing, you had better decide when he’s in the wind up and pray that he doesn’t try a pickoff somewhere or you’ll look even sillier.

Apr 28, 2024, 3:32 PM

“ As I walked to the plate to get my strikeout ….”

Nice closing paragraph. +1

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2024, 3:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Never seen someone swing at a pitch ]

Yeah right !

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,101
Tiger Boards - Women's Sports
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next